Electryko

Playing recorded pictures from FTP

Hello,

I'm new to recording video from a IP camera to a FTP server.

I have setup a FTP server, it's running.

I have created a motion event in my Axis camera.

It all works and the pictures are written to my FTP server.

But what i like to know.....

How and with what software can i search and play these pictures

the best. And also how to auto delete the pictures after a month?

At this moment my FTP directory is growing all the time with only jpg pictures and it's hard to search for events if i have to watch all the pictures.

Please advise

Greetz, ElectrYko

Operating systems will slow to a crawl and sometimes even freeze up if there are too many files in one directory. Fortunately, you are using an Axis camera, which is one of the few that can create new subdirectories using ftp. The file name format string is quite versatile, and you can include things like day and time in the name of the subdirectories. This way, they never get too full. Also, over time, you can delete old subdirectories if they are named by date.

All that said, I would strongly recommend you avoid all of this and get a VMS application. I prefer Exacq, bu almost any of them are better than trying to fool around with ftp uploads.

Best,

Christopher

I've recorded my camera's before with Milestone, Blue Iris and Axis Camera station on my PC.

But my goal is not to record on a PC anymore but on a NAS.

I want the NAS to place somewhere in the house where you don't see and hear it.

I want to record my video to a multimedia/data storage NAS and not a dedicated NVR NAS.

The poor NVR software on the QNAP and Thecus multimedia NAS doesn't support my Axis209 and 241Q. (the Thecus does but 1fps only)

So i'm thinking of buying a multimedia NAS with ftp server and record from the camera to the ftp server and play the video from my PC.

The first part allready works but for the playing part i need a program.

Greetz, ElektrYko

So i'm thinking of buying a multimedia NAS with ftp server and record from the camera to the ftp server and play the video from my PC.

The first part allready works but for the playing part i need a program.

Have you tried mounting a virtual drive on the NAS and see if a VMS will write to that drive?

Best,

Christopher

Exacq will run on machines that have the same power draw as a NAS

Agreed. Rather than put the NAS somewhere you can't see or hear it, why not put an Exacq server somewhere you can't see or hear it? You can run an Exacq client anywhere, including the LAN or remotely over the internet. The Exacq client works just the same when run on the server or on a remote system.

FWIW, this is how I use Exacq. I built an Exacq server on a linux HP Z200 (but you can use something with a smaller footprint), and I run an Exacq client on a Windows system elsewhere on the LAN.

Best,

Christopher

Reading all your posts makes it clear that i do need a PC based server with VMS software or i have to buy a QNAP or NUUO NVR.

I don't think it's possible to run a virtual PC on a NAS it would be great, and writing from VMS to a virtual drive on a NAS means that i still need a PC running with the VMS software 24/7.

I will buy a small PC with VMS software and a NAS for my other stuff.

(i'm never satisfied so i will look on some PC forums if there are fanless PCs with solid state drives big enough to run windows/linux and a VMS, i will write the videodata to the NAS)

Greetz, ElectrYko