JNAPS

Stand alone DVR HDD

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a Standalone 4 channel DVR. I've had it for a couple of years and it's worked great. I think the hard drive took a dump on me. I can't record on it anymore. Every time I try it says something like there's no HDD to write to.. I have no idea what kind it is. I don't really see a name on it and I got it on ebay. Here is a picture of it below. My question is, can I just get a new hard drive and replace it, or do I need an operating system CD that has to be loaded into it? Please bare with me, I'm not the smartest french fry in the happy meal.. Thanks for your help.

The HDD that's in it is a Maxtor Quick View Diamond max10 model 66080po 80Gig.

DVR-1.jpg

I was looking at the FAQ's and just saw where Rory said that a standalone DVR's have an Embedded Operating System (on CHIP not on the HDD) and are generally non Windows. So I guess this is what I have? I can just swap out the DVR and it'll be ready to work? Where do I get this HD? In the US, Can I just go to Bestbuy and get one? I just put a new HD in my PC at home. First time doing that and I figured that out. Very easy.. Got that HD from Bestbuy..

Thanks for the info.

Go online and search for Seagate SV hard drives, those are the best for surveillance.

Thanks for the info. I did look into them. I have another question, and sorry if it's an obvious one. Remember, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to this stuff. The HD that's in it now is an 80Gig. I was able to let it record 24/7 on all 4 cameras at high resolution and it gave me about 3 days of recording before it re wrote. If I were to get a 500Gig, and ran the DVR exactly the same, will I get more recording days? I'm assuming it'll probably record just about a week and a half at the way I was using it before. Also, is a 500Gig HD a lot bigger? Will it even fit in this DVR that I have in the picture above? There is some room in there for a thicker one. I still gotta figure out if it's a PATA or an SATA HD. The one I have has the long, thin, flat gray wire and then a smaller wire plugged into it. I think it also said when I would reset to factory default that it was looking for the HDD and Master and Slave if that helps. I also remember the HD said it was from 2005..

Edited by Guest

A 500gb is not really any different size than an 80 gig, maybe a little thicker but no significat size change because they must all fit in the same size bay. They are all standard 3.5" size. The difference between a sata and a pata is the connectors I think. Do a google search to see what the connectors look like and open up your DVR and match and compare. Some of the older DVR's that were made pre 2006 have connectors different than sata. But most of the DVR's today use sata drives.

You will get alot more recording time out of a 500gig than an 80gig for sure.

I may as well go on to say that if you are going to buy another hard drive, go ahead and get a 1 TB if your DVR accepts something that big, we arent talking about a big price difference here, maybe $20-30 depending on where you shop. The best deals can be found online.

if your old drive is 80gig then it will be pata. so i would just go upto 160gig replacement. with a sata converstion kit and going to 1tb you will find your dvr will not see the HD

if your old drive is 80gig then it will be pata. so i would just go upto 160gig replacement. with a sata converstion kit and going to 1tb you will find your dvr will not see the HD

I still have plenty 80GB SATA drives in the field, including my own right here.

Thanks again.. I don't really need a 500Gig, 80 is fine.. I might as well go a little bigger though. 160G sounds good or maybe something like a 300G if available. You say the best deals are online. Can you give me a couple of good trustworthy sites? The DVR has been down for a few weeks now and I'd like to get it back up. Right now I have it hooked to a.........................................Wait for It..............................................................................VCR

Well, if its SATA, you can find some great deals from Buy.Com and Amazon.Com for 500gig and 1TB drives. I havent really looked for PATA drives.

Should have no problem finding 7200rpm IDE drives.

And they should be around the same price as SATA

Well I found this one, but seems a bit expensive for a 160GIG. With Shipping it comes to $92.56. I paid $100.00 for this thing 2 years ago. Is that a good price? Can someone find better? Is this one good for me?

http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1703#

google power saves money ....

http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=134&&srkey=pata

Well I found this one, but seems a bit expensive for a 160GIG. With Shipping it comes to $92.56. I paid $100.00 for this thing 2 years ago. Is that a good price? Can someone find better? Is this one good for me?

http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.com/product.aspx?id=1703#

google power saves money ....

http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=134&&srkey=pata

Thanks, but I think I'd rather find a Seagate. Haven't had good luck with WD. Although I did just put another WD in my computer. So far so good on this one.

Thanks, but I think I'd rather find a Seagate. Haven't had good luck with WD. Although I did just put another WD in my computer. So far so good on this one.

all I ever use are WDs, never had any issues.

Should work fine. I have one, well the 500GB one, in my Avtech IDE DVR.

Cool.. I'll probably just get this one. My 80G was fine really, for what I used it for. I mainly used it at night for around the outside of the house. Eventually I'm gonna upgrade to an 8 channel, maybe a 16. Next thing I gotta look into is an illuminator. My cameras have 36 LED's, but I need a little more light.

OK, I went to my local Bestbuy and got the WD Blue 320G for $49.00 Put it in and so far it's working fine. Just thought I'd give you an update because I hate it when people ask for help and don't let anyone know how things turned out

Thanks for all your help..

OK, I went to my local Bestbuy and got the WD Blue 320G for $49.00 Put it in and so far it's working fine. Just thought I'd give you an update because I hate it when people ask for help and don't let anyone know how things turned out

Thanks for all your help..

Hi JNaps. nice to see everything turned out good.

They had that on sale so I grabbed it. It seems to run just a little different. Not sure why, but in playback it seems to studder a little more than before. It's at 30 frames per second on high resolution. That's the best it'll do on this old thing. Not sure if the bigger HD is causing that or not.. Could be in my head too.. I haven't used it in about a month.. But it's working again so I'm a happy camper. I changed it to normal resolution and I'll see how that goes when I check it in the morning.