tomcctv

Face Recognition.

with the likes of facebook / twitter how long will it be before something like this is added to a dvr. ( i can just see rory reaching for his laptop) Augmented reality helps collect info like email / phone numbers from facebook / twitter pages.

Hello everyone, my name is Eric, and I've been reading this forum forever. I used to post answers/advice to questions, but it has been awhile and I don't have my old acct info.

Anyway, with the facial recognition: There are several open source projects out there, some are pretty good. There are also cracked versions of expensive licensed software that people have changed to suit their own needs. I am a software developer, and I attend the nerd/hacker conventions sometimes. I have seen many setups, from kids, college students, and hobbyists that work great. I hired an intern last year that showed me a program he said was widely available. He had made some changes to it, but the code that did the facial recognition was as he found it. The key to using it is the database of images it has to compare against. He made this particular program check against his college directory. It would do a 20 point check (I think?) where it sized the face (face had to be within 45 degrees of facing camera), then it put dots on the eyes, then dots around the head, on the nose, sides of the mouth, etc. It then drew lines between the dots, and I guess the length of those lines were entered into an equation that created the stored values. There were 3 ways the program could be used: It could be used on that computer in his room (from the web cam hidden in the hallway) to automatically log who passes by; It could be used remotely (he could open an image file and have the program scan the existing image), or it could be used to specifically scan the video stills, looking for certain people. An infinite number of scripts can be written, to log certain people and count/document each time they pass, notify by email/txt when a flagged person is observed, even upload a flagged person's image to facebook, or send a twitter msg saying this person was observed there at that time and date.

The difficult part of the code is out there, and there are plenty of people using it to make their own little applications. Now that the motion sensing video applications are common, it's easy to use that to get a good snapshot. All it takes is a video input card for your pc, and you could run an output from your dvr to it. From what i've seen, it's easier to do it that way than using a pc with an internal dvr card. Find yourself a college age code geek and you could get it done pretty cheap, you just wouldnt be able to sell it because the actual facial recognition code would probably be from copyrighted software. And as I said before, the biggest problem is building or finding the database of pictures for it to compare against!

just a friday funny note,

looks like people have found away to get passed face recognition. so if you see a guy around your property doing this then he is up to no good.

halfway though the film you will hear why he is shacking his head