ONVIF has a LONG way to go before it works as advertised. I have multiple ONVIF cameras and ONVIF VMS and NONE if them work together.

Well two issues with ONVIF currently:

a) You have a number of companies that only partially integrate ONVIF and then it only works sometimes. Any company that can display ONVIF compliancy documents should work just fine - and it's easy to test.

b) Until the recent release of ONVIF 2.0 only Video/Audio was supported. No I/O or additional features.

I know we are ONVIF compliant and have tested with three ONVIF compliant VMS companies and work just fine.

Sorry I don't believe it till I see it.

Sent you a PM regarding this.

Hm, just noticed the Mobotix D24. It seems to have the same specs as the M12, but is half the price new. I don't understand how it could ostensibly have the same low-light performance without dedicated optics?

Edit: Oh, the 3mp has much worse low-light performance.

Isn't this a face only a mother could love?

IMG_2057.jpg

Isn't this a face only a mother could love?

IMG_2057.jpg

Heh heh - Mobotix M12s look like a cross between a Star Wars stormtrooper and a pug.

Fantastic image quality, though.

Did you paint it?

Nah, just bought it today. But I would have painted it black anyway so it would fade into the bushes. Looks like they've painted over the darned LEDs...

Fantastic image quality, though.

I'm a bit worried as this is completely black at night. I should have thought that the Night camera would see the stars with the level it's supposed to perform at.

I'm a bit worried as this is completely black at night. I should have thought that the Night camera would see the stars with the level it's supposed to perform at.

Your expectations may be a little high.

No camera - especially a megapixel CCTV camera - is going to see stars without a long exposure time. Unfortunately, long exposure time is the enemy of motion capture, and capturing moving objects is the main reason why you use a video camera (i.e. instead of a still camera) in the first place.

So you need to either find a way to shed more light on your subject, or lengthen your exposure time (and suffer with the motion blur). There's just no violating the laws of physics.

Is ZM -only- compatible with cameras that have a web interface?

Not at all. It also works with analog cameras (using a suitable capture card), and even USB webcams. As far as IP cameras go, it'll work with most anything that can spit out JPEG/MJPEG or an H.264 RTSP stream. But the best part is, if you have a camera that you absolutely must support, and ZM does not currently support it, you can add support for it yourself. For example, someone added support for Mobotix's MxPEG protocol to ZM. With a closed, proprietary VMS, you'd have to beg the company that makes it to add the support you need; even if they agree to do it for you, they certainly won't do it with the same priority or sense of urgency that you have.

M12 arrived today and man is it ugly, which is pretty to me.

Waiting now for the POE injector so I can see whether it's password-protected...

Well, I had a catastrophic disk failure on my workstation (Thank you again Seagate, it's WD from now on), and unfortunately Debian botched the current OS release so it won't install. On the backup server where the camera is, there's a KDE problem and I have to reinstall the OS there as well. Meanwhile my phone quit and internet modem quit.

So I've been so ****faced with problems that I haven't made any progress. But the camera is installed and appears to have booted as the #0 light is on.

I'd sent away for the MobotixPOE injector, but SecurityBestBuy took a week to get around to starting to think about shipping it. So I cancelled my order and looked for alternatives. Researched POE switches here and discovered that Netgear makes one, from a post by wireguys in '09. I trust Netgear. Bought the GS108P for just a little more than the single-port Mobotix, and it seems like just the thing. Mobotix confirms they use the FS108P for demos, and the GS108P is the same but adds gigabit. Lifetime warranty?! C'mon, that's unreasonable... just like the lifetime warranty on my Ridgid drill and its batteries! Ridiculous.

Well, I had a catastrophic disk failure on my workstation (Thank you again Seagate, it's WD from now on), and unfortunately Debian botched the current OS release so it won't install. On the backup server where the camera is, there's a KDE problem and I have to reinstall the OS there as well. Meanwhile my phone quit and internet modem quit.

LOL! Sounds like you're having a bad week....Been there, done that.

Do you mind PMing me with how much you paid for the M12?

Thanks!

Every camera needs light, but typically lower resolution cameras perform better at night.

analogmp.png

Bigger sensors see more pixels, as a general rule. Just like with ccd cctv cams, quality of the sensor and dsp makes a huge difference in picture quality and low light sensativity. I think its only a matter of time before supply catches up to demand... meaning, good MP cams become cheap enough to be utilized by everyone, everywhere. I'm already personally witnessing this, nearly on a weekly basis when manufacturers keep cranking out cheaper and better MP cams.

Every make/ model of MP cams I see is getting closer and closer to bridging the cost gap between analog. I think D1's days are numbered....

What do you think?

Edited by Guest

Every camera needs light, but typically lower resolution cameras perform better at night.

analogmp.png

Rory if your gonna post stuff like this please do it in FULL Res not CIF. Also FYI your posting dealer pricing.

Edited by Guest

Rory I will do it for you... Click to see full res

OR, you could just post a link to the thread which has the full images:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24655

My sample is to show the low light performance, otherwise OFCOURSE it would have been in full size.

Here are the full images for those that cannot follow links:

Bitmap8.jpg

av5100.jpg

True, but there are tradeoffs. My very first camera was a CNB, and the interlacing distortion drove me absolutely insane! What good is better low-light performance if the jaggies prevent you from seeing important details? Personally, I would rather have progressive scan, even if it means adding more lighting to the system.

True, but there are tradeoffs. My very first camera was a CNB, and the interlacing distortion drove me absolutely insane! What good is better low-light performance if the jaggies prevent you from seeing important details? Personally, I would rather have progressive scan, even if it means adding more lighting to the system.

+1

That depends on the DVR, its not the camera with jagged edges.

Ive been doing this for 10 years, and of all the things, jagged edges never stopped anything.

What good is any camera when they are wearing a mask?

BTW I prefer more light also, but im not the clients.

That depends on the DVR, its not the camera with jagged edges.

Of course it is. That's the nature of interlaced video - if there is any movement between one field and the next, you get jagged edges. Just because your DVR has some deinterlacing software that makes it less obvious doesn't mean it's not there.

jagged edges never stopped anything.

Well, they sure stopped me from capturing license plates of passing cars from my office window.

My initial efforts involved an analog camera hooked up to a video capture card. The interlaced images that resulted never yielded a legible plate, not even once. When I replaced that analog camera with a progressive scan IP camera in the exact same location, the license plates were captured sharp and clear. Could I have eventually gotten that analog camera to work? Probably. But the progressive scan IP camera did a much better job with a lot less work. As Charlie Sheen would say, that's winning.