scarr999

CCTV general advice

Hi all,

Been thinking about CCTV for some time but as I only want to have it and not be a guru I thought it better to ask guru's

What I want is to monitor the road I live on (in UK) ideally I want a system that can monitor a 180 degree area, when it spots something moving track and record it ideally panning in / out as required as it goes all automatically. So here are a few questions

1) Is this functionality part of the camera (like a PTZ) or is it in the software?

2) if I purchased a PTZ camera for a system like this is there something I should look for like a protocol?

3) I assume more lines the better and B/W beter than colour as it's generally higher rez from what I know?

4) Are the cameras on Ebay from far east any good, the spec's always look good but I do wonder about general quality as price seems low?

P.S. I will be hooking this to a dedicated PC and ideally just one camera

Thanks

Steve

Hi all,

Been thinking about CCTV for some time but as I only want to have it and not be a guru I thought it better to ask guru's

What I want is to monitor the road I live on (in UK) ideally I want a system that can monitor a 180 degree area, when it spots something moving track and record it ideally panning in / out as required as it goes all automatically. So here are a few questions

1) Is this functionality part of the camera (like a PTZ) or is it in the software?

2) if I purchased a PTZ camera for a system like this is there something I should look for like a protocol?

3) I assume more lines the better and B/W beter than colour as it's generally higher rez from what I know?

4) Are the cameras on Ebay from far east any good, the spec's always look good but I do wonder about general quality as price seems low?

P.S. I will be hooking this to a dedicated PC and ideally just one camera

Thanks

Steve

using auto tracking ptz on a road area will just be a waste of money. imagine putting a 3 yeay old child infront of a ptz joy stick. thats exactly how your ptz will react. every car / person / cat / dog rubbish blowing everywere.

auto tracking ptzs have there place but not for traffic.

you would be much better and it will save you money if you use 4 good cameras and a 4 way dvr what would your budget be.

and another good money saving exercise. dont buy anything from ebay

Hi Tomcctv,

I forgot to mention the road is a cul-de-sac and I am very near the end so it's fairly quiet. as for budget well I am one of these people thinks that if it's worth doing its worth doing right first time. but I have not got bottomless pockets and the CCTV is a "would like" not a "must have"

Why would I need 4 cameras? I am only thinking of monitoring front of house not rear, and would X cameras + DVR give me what I am looking for?

Thanks

Steve

Auto-tracking PTZs are cool, but they still have a bad habit of missing critical situations:

I think it would be much more useful for you to use 1+ high-res cameras (megapixel IP) so that you can zoom in on the recorded image. Maybe use 2+ of these cameras with wide(ish) lens to get about 180 degrees view. With a good camera, even a car in the distance can be zoomed in on after the fact to see the license plate.

You will need good illumination to get good pictures at night!

I have the same situation, end of cul de sac. Use a Axis P1344 w/ 50mm to get the plates going both ways at the top of the culdesac (only works effectively at daytime), and a P3344 dome as an overview (OK at night but not FBI grade photos). Even set wide it can get the plates coming in the driveway. Might be better answers for best low light performance but this is what I've done thus far.

Someday might try a Arecont 3130 or Mobotix, or augment close up with some IR bullets.

Started with analog cams but just could not get the coverage, and progressive scan blows analog away on motion and resolution.

Hi Birdman,

So we are saying keep away from PTZ as they can make mistakes and / or miss targets when there are multiple targets about.

If I get 2 x HI-rez IP cameras this should cover the area I'm interested in, what software / DVR card would give me multiple area masking? Also any advice on the camera make / models please. I would love small dome ones that fit under the eaves in the Fascia (about 8" deep)

Do the wide angle lenses cause any problems when needing to zoom in, especially near the edges? and what about heating (max -15c in UK)

Thanks

Steve

Had a thought, as there can be multiple targets in daytime get 2x HI-rez IP cameras and for night (after 12pm) a PTZ as there is little movement outside? if this sounds good can someone help with make model of cameras that they think are good or at least a manufacturer you can't go wrong with?

Is it legal for you there to get licence plates on a public road?

Anyway, what about putting down a speed bump then zooming a couple cameras in on that, one for either side of the road. Then one or two cameras just for overview.

Is it legal for you there to get licence plates on a public road?

Anyway, what about putting down a speed bump then zooming a couple cameras in on that, one for either side of the road. Then one or two cameras just for overview.

Rory,

It is legal for this in the UK.

In fact domestic CCTV is virtually unregulated in this country and looks like it will continue to be so.

Regards

Ilkie

The tracking with a PTZ will be a huge waste of time and money. If you have a 180 degree area I would recommend installing (2) high quality cameras an locking them in on the areas you are trying to best secure. You can get a couple high quality cameras for the same price of a PTZ camera.