AutoM8

Building the Ultimate 16 Camera PC DVR

Hello everyone,

I am interested in building a state of the art, best you can get 16 channel DVR. I have read several different items at several different boards, and have come to the following conclusions, knowing VERY little about the hardware and software out there. Money is not the issue. I want to build a first class system that will serve me well, and be upgradeable as new technologies emerge. I want to be able to use PTZ cameras easily, be able to detect and record motion across all 16 cameras, be able to display 16 thumbnail images of these cameras, and obviously record video off all of them at an acceptable rate (15fps?) I think I am looking more for a suggestion on a DVR card and software, not necessarily, a bundle though. From my limitied knowledge it looks like Blue Cherry makes nice cards, and I have started to look at Blue Iris as it has the ability to bring in CCTV cameras, as well as IP based cameras into one view. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to getting me started right.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in building a state of the art, best you can get 16 channel DVR. I have read several different items at several different boards, and have come to the following conclusions, knowing VERY little about the hardware and software out there. Money is not the issue. I want to build a first class system that will serve me well, and be upgradeable as new technologies emerge. I want to be able to use PTZ cameras easily, be able to detect and record motion across all 16 cameras, be able to display 16 thumbnail images of these cameras, and obviously record video off all of them at an acceptable rate (15fps?) I think I am looking more for a suggestion on a DVR card and software, not necessarily, a bundle though. From my limitied knowledge it looks like Blue Cherry makes nice cards, and I have started to look at Blue Iris as it has the ability to bring in CCTV cameras, as well as IP based cameras into one view. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to getting me started right.

Avigilon IP soft and 16 cam by them too

I am not sure if I can suggest better then that

Going by the required specs and the forum you posted it under, check out Geovision.

If money is no issue, skip the analog... GO IP!!

You will love the quality. Plus, you are ready-to-go for the future.

+1

Remember that heat will kill your components (especially hard drives) faster than anything. When you get into the PC itself, go for a machine with good ventilation and airflow (not just lots of fans blowing willy-nilly) and intake filters to prevent dust buildup. The rack- and wall-mount cases Vigil uses are great for this (http://www.3xlogic.com/prod/599/pro-series-hybrid-video-recorder). Make sure drives are solidly screwed down to metal parts of the case, so the heat "drains" better (avoid spring clips and other such flimsy mounting devices).

Frankly, a Vigil system would fulfill your design requirements nicely as well... but they're not a DIY package.

If it's all about quality and cost is no object, then megapixel is the way to go: Avigilon Pro is about the best you'll find, with SLR-sized sensors, using SLR lenses to match.

Avigilon will give you the best image quality.

Even under low light? Any suggested model numbers?

Im looking for something that matches the CNB monalisa for low light specs, without slow shutter.

Rory, we are not going there. You can't compare CNB to Avigilon not even close. If you want image quality and ease of use Avigilon is the way to go. If you want cheap cameras CNB is your option.

I want to see someone breaking into my car and its low light. I Dont need to see their face, I just want to see so I can go grab the machete or the gun. I just want to know if Avilgon have any cameras that see in as low light as the CNBs, but Megapixel.

I want to see someone breaking into my car and its low light. I Dont need to see their face, I just want to see so I can go grab the machete or the gun. I just want to know if Avilgon have any cameras that see in as low light as the CNBs, but Megapixel.

Rory you seam to find images like this useful. Myself and my customers do not.

CNB VCM-24VF

5023283194_5b76e2cb66_o-1.jpg

My customers want this.

5503139250_e61465ce76_o-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Rory you seam to find images like this useful.

Not at all, I would hire someone that can set the camera/dvr up properly.

But thats not what I asked. Guess I will start a new thread then, maybe someone else knows.

Though I never could understand why people post samples with full light when someone asks about low light.

Rory you seam to find images like this useful.

Not at all, I would hire someone that can set the camera/dvr up properly.

But thats not what I asked. Guess I will start a new thread then, maybe someone else knows.

Rory whats the point you will just complain that they are to expensive to import.

Rory whats the point you will just complain that they are to expensive to import.

So you can read minds now? Nice one

Dont worry, when I start the new thread, there is no point in you replying to it.

No psychic powers needed.... just forum experience

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

So I guess when one of your CNB clients comes along and asks for a megapixel camera you just tell them its no point.

Why would I do that? I'm not the one complaining about exorbitant shipping and custom fees at every turn.

Shipping and duty has nothing to do with the question I asked, so it must be normal for you to turn away customers based on their prior buying trends. For all you know this could be for a customer in America.

Shipping and duty has nothing to do with the question I asked, so it must be normal for you to turn away customers based on their prior buying trends. For all you know this could be for a customer in America.

what are you saying

Here's a few Avigilon megapixel nightshots, courtesy of megapixelman's photobucket.

Pro daytime for comparison :

16MPDocksDay-1.jpg

Pro color (mono 16MP is even more sensitive at night) :

16MPDocksNightCropped-1.jpg

HkTrafficNight-1.jpg

Non-pro :

NighttimeJpegnoresize-1.jpg

How does that compare to CNB?

The megapixel cameras look awesome. I think I am going to start with GeoVision, some analog cameras, and a couple of Megapixel cameras and work my way up. I have both CCTV spider wire, as well as cat5 going to all of my camera locations, so I can do both! Thanks for the image samples, they were helpful.

The megapixel cameras look awesome. I think I am going to start with GeoVision, some analog cameras, and a couple of Megapixel cameras and work my way up. I have both CCTV spider wire, as well as cat5 going to all of my camera locations, so I can do both! Thanks for the image samples, they were helpful.

The megapixel cameras I posted samples of aren't supported by GeoVision so you couldn't work your way up without eventually replacing it. The Avigilon Pro cameras only work with the Avigilon NVR. Fortunately, that NVR supports analog PTZ cameras very well through inexpensive video encoders converting 4 channels into IP cameras. If you want to build your system progressively all the way to the very best quality, then you should go with a solid PC, a few terabyte hard drives and 4 network encoders (16 channels), then start adding megapixel IP cameras (Avigilon or any other supported megapixel brand) and eventually move up to the 16 megapixel Avigilon Pro cameras where the extra quality and resolution are needed.