dmiller9

JPEG2000 Compression - Anyone other then avigilon?

Is there any other manufacture other then avigilon making cameras that support JPEG2000 compression? I did a quick search and saw that ikegami makes a couple. W

What is everyones option on this compression standard?

Any other VMS software that supports this compression?

Jpeg2000 has so much more detail then H.264. Plus every frame is a full image. If you want small files use H.264, if you want detailed images use JPEG2000 or MxPEG.

Well said that man !

Sadly the size of the files is the issue with JPEG2000 but for me it wins hands down

Still waiting for a H264 DVR that stands up the same

Jpeg2000 has so much more detail then H.264. Plus every frame is a full image. If you want small files use H.264, if you want detailed images use JPEG2000 or MxPEG.

Well said that man !

Sadly the size of the files is the issue with JPEG2000 but for me it wins hands down

Still waiting for a H264 DVR that stands up the same

The only downfall to larger file size for me has been better image quality.

I can live with the larger file size of JPEG2000 if it can lower my WAN bandwidth using bandwidth management as implemented by avigilon. Any other companies doing this?

I was really impressed with this feature in avigilon.

Not that I've found. Many VMS solutions can lower the overall quality of the remote stream, but I've never seen one that will automatically adjust for screen size, and be able to crop out the rest of the live or archived feed when you digitally zoom in... What gets pushed out down the pipe is only what you want to see, nothing more. Simply brilliant.

With most VMS solutions, once you start talking about viewing more than just a couple MP cams at full rez it will cripple even the very best internet upload connection.

Actually MxPEG is also pretty revolutionary. Only changes in the scene are transported. And all of Mobotix's software is free, even the most capable; this effectively reduces the price of the camera considerably. Also their software runs on osx and linux!

Actually MxPEG is also pretty revolutionary. Only changes in the scene are transported. And all of Mobotix's software is free, even the most capable; this effectively reduces the price of the camera considerably. Also their software runs on osx and linux!

And there software is so complicated to use they have to give it away and people still don't use it

I can live with the larger file size of JPEG2000 if it can lower my WAN bandwidth using bandwidth management as implemented by avigilon. Any other companies doing this?

I was really impressed with this feature in avigilon.

That is what makes Avigilon so special. The VMS software was designed for MP cameras where everyone else designed the software for analog cameras and are now adapting to MP. FYI I just got there encoder and I have never seen a analog camera look this good.

FYI I just got there encoder and I have never seen a analog camera look this good.

You just opened a big can of stinky worms! Wait for it.... wait for it.....

lol

It's my understanding that JPEG2000 allows much higher quality than anything else because it supports the full quality of the camera sensor. H.264 is limited to 8-bit (256 color shades), whereas Avigilon is using something like 14-bit (16384 color shades) according to some YouTube video. It's a pretty amazing difference.

The fact that it allows monitoring multi-megapixel cameras using the bandwidth of a tiny analog camera is also very nice in my opinion. The JPEG2000 file size is big initially but you never really have to pay the price for it, because of smart streaming and data aging.

FYI I just got there encoder and I have never seen a analog camera look this good.

You just opened a big can of stinky worms! Wait for it.... wait for it.....

lol

This is why the image is so much better. I have the cheap indoor dome hook up to the encoder and at full quality 30FPS there is 20Mbps stream coming from the camera. Only wish I had a good analog camera not this crap CNB camera

And there software is so complicated to use they have to give it away and people still don't use it
The VMS software was designed for MP cameras where everyone else designed the software for analog cameras and are now adapting to MP.

You are very competent dude, but both of these statements are false. I haven't tried Mobotix's ControlCenter, but MxEasy is just that. And Mobotix is megapixel from the ground up.

The VMS software was designed for MP cameras where everyone else designed the software for analog cameras and are now adapting to MP.

You are very competent dude, but both of these statements are false. I haven't tried Mobotix's ControlCenter, but MxEasy is just that. And Mobotix is megapixel from the ground up.

Sorry MxEasy is not easy or fast. I will give you that Mobotix is megapixel from the ground up but they dont have HDSM, the search is slow. People forget how much time it takes to search weeks worth of video after the fact. Maybe it is easy for you because you haven't tried 50 other VMS but trust me there is a lot better software on the market then MxEasy.

Most customers only use the system when something happens which could be every couple of months. If you don't use MxCC everyday you will forget how to use it.

BTW.... I love the Mobotix product and if they had software like Avigilon they would be my number one.

Edited by Guest

BTW.... I love the Mobotix product and if they had software like Avigilon they would be my number one.

The Avigilon website shows the Q24 is a supported camera that has been "Tested" with firmware (MX-V4.0.1.15).

*What exactly does this mean?

*Will Avigilon handle the Q24 in ceiling mount setup with regards to playback and live viewing?

*Or does the Q24 send a 'corrected' panoramic image to the Avigilon so it's a moot point?

The Avigilon website shows the Q24 is a supported camera that has been "Tested" with firmware (MX-V4.0.1.15).

*What exactly does this mean?

*Will Avigilon handle the Q24 in ceiling mount setup with regards to playback and live viewing?

*Or does the Q24 send a 'corrected' panoramic image to the Avigilon so it's a moot point?

I have the Q24 mounted on the front of my house with a Aviglon 1080P at my front door all recording on my Aviglon server.

Aviglon will record the MJPEG image from Mobotix and will record what the Q24 is displaying. Since I have the Q24 wall-mounted I have it set to full uncorrected image and it works perfectly for my needs. Avigilon does not control the correction or PTZ in the camera only digital PTZ. Avigilon will record 24/7 or on motion events from the camera but will not use the cameras on-board storage.

I have not tested the camera mounted on the ceiling with Avigilon.

Sorry MxEasy is not easy or fast. ... Maybe it is easy for you because you haven't tried 50 other VMS but trust me there is a lot better software on the market then MxEasy.

Eh, MxEasy is easy and fast. Quick to set up and configure and intuitive to use. Shouldn't ever have to search weeks of video, if you're keeping up with things.

Unlike traditional security systems, Mobotix has a decentralized approach to video surveillance. The cameras incorporate a high-speed computer and internal flash to enable all recording and storage to occur within the camera, reducing the need for a separate PC or DVR. Furthermore, all data is processed within the camera to lower network bandwidth, which maximizes robust features such as virtual PTZ and 360-degree hemispheric technology with panoramic view. All this on three frickin' watts, and no fan, heater, or iris ever needed.

I have mine set up so it stores directly to my backup server, and the server forwards video streams to other machines where they are viewed, so the backup server is just an Atom with terabytes of storage.

Sorry MxEasy is not easy or fast. ... Maybe it is easy for you because you haven't tried 50 other VMS but trust me there is a lot better software on the market then MxEasy.

Eh, MxEasy is easy and fast. Quick to set up and configure and intuitive to use. Shouldn't ever have to search weeks of video, if you're keeping up with things.

Unlike traditional security systems, Mobotix has a decentralized approach to video surveillance. The cameras incorporate a high-speed computer and internal flash to enable all recording and storage to occur within the camera, reducing the need for a separate PC or DVR. Furthermore, all data is processed within the camera to lower network bandwidth, which maximizes robust features such as virtual PTZ and 360-degree hemispheric technology with panoramic view. All this on three frickin' watts, and no fan, heater, or iris ever needed.

I have mine set up so it stores directly to my backup server, and the server forwards video streams to other machines where they are viewed, so the backup server is just an Atom with terabytes of storage.

Thanks for the Mobotix how to..... We are Mobotix partners trained by Mobotix If you saw other VMS software you would agree their software is cumbersome.

You don't have to tell me how good there products are but there software sucks, they know it and all of the dealers that I talk to all over the world know it. The cameras are very powerful and have great image quality but they need to make the software more end user friendly and intuitive.

All right, I'm not here to bicker. No, I don't have vast experience with other apps, but I am a new user and find MxEasy easy and effective for me. That's all I need to know, and maybe it will help others. You can duke it out with yourself in the kitchen... this is too stupid for me.

(BTW, it's annoying when someone repeatedly confuses 'there' with 'their'. Gives the wrong impression of your education)

Sorry about my spelling and grammar. They are obviously not my strong points but please don't discount my knowledge for CCTV and low voltage systems because of this.

I am not trying to disrespect you I am just telling you what I know from 13 years in the voltage industry.

this is too stupid for me.

What isn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

On behalf of Mike, and the other countless respectable regulars:

We are only here to help.

We have a head start on the industry compared to most and we enjoy helping others. By helping others, we help ourselves. It helps keep us sharp. We realize a technological savvy is not something specific to our field. We recognize the value of real world experience.

What do you do for a living Mr. Quantum? I have zero doubts there's many among us that couldn't do it, or even do it better; regardless of education. A much wiser man than myself said, "There isn't a man alive who doesn't know something you don't."

If you can't respect other's experience, why should we respect yours? If you wish to continue with this mindset, I advise you figure out the rest of your CCTV adventure entirely on your own. In Texas we have a saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

This place is obviously "beneath you" anyway so if you have any dignity remaining, why bother being here?

Jpeg2000 has so much more detail then H.264. ..(cut).. if you want detailed images use JPEG2000 or MxPEG.

..(cut).. I am just telling you what I know from 13 years in the voltage industry.

Of course there is not the "best" codec for each situation, the right designer choses the right codec for the exact situation.. But it's very very difficult find the situation when Jpeg2000 is the right codec for 1/2/3 or 5MP cameras..

In fact at the moment that Avigilon have 1/2/3/5MP H264 box/bullet and fixed dome cameras they Discontinued http://avigilon.com/#/products/cameras/ the 1/2/3/5MP Jpeg2000 box/bullet and fixed dome cameras! (only panoramic fixed dome and PRO series..8/11/16/29 MP are now Avigilon Jpeg2000 cameras..at the moment...seems to me).

Gvn

Jpeg2000 has so much more detail then H.264. ..(cut).. if you want detailed images use JPEG2000 or MxPEG.

..(cut).. I am just telling you what I know from 13 years in the voltage industry.

Of course there is not the "best" codec for each situation, the right designer choses the right codec for the exact situation.. But it's very very difficult find the situation when Jpeg2000 is the right codec for 1/2/3 or 5MP cameras..

In fact at the moment that Avigilon have 1/2/3/5MP H264 box/bullet and fixed dome cameras they Discontinued http://avigilon.com/#/products/cameras/ the 1/2/3/5MP Jpeg2000 box/bullet and fixed dome cameras! (only panoramic fixed dome and PRO series..8/11/16/29 MP are now Avigilon Jpeg2000 cameras..at the moment...seems to me).

Gvn

Wow way to dig up a 2 year old thread.

I stand by my statement that JPEG2000 or MxPEG has more image detail then H.264 and I have installs, customers and hours of demo video to prove it. Would I not recommended JPEG2000 for every camera absolutely not but when you need better image detail then video quality JPEG2000 is better. Avigilon's 5MP JPEG2000 camera is absolutly a amazing camera that can do things not other 5MP H.264 camera on the make can do.

Yes Avigilon is discontinuing the JPEG2000 box/dome cameras and I know exactly why and it's not because of the image quality more on the lines of lack of education .