Dirk_D

Win7 on VPN - thinks it's an unauthorized copy

I got a call from a site just a few minutes ago, I had to have her reboot her DVR, & when it came back up a message came up saying the copy of Win7 home wasn't authentic "purchase authentic copy now or remind me later" options came up. Luckily remind me later got passed the glitch.

This site is on a VPN, no web access other than to their main office. I never had issues with this with Win XP Pro, is this going to be an issue with Win7? Am I going to need to run WINE or something linux based?

(I hope I can skip the obvious "it is authentic?" question)

This happened to me only once, and quickly went away. It was a Dell with Win7 Home preinstalled, but it did/does have internet connection. Hopefully the warning will go away after a reboot, but if it doesn't, I would try to give it internet connection for a moment and see if it is trying to validate himself somehow...

Of course it's authentic. It was activated as usual after installation, & it burned in for 1-3 days on my bench. It's been in use @ the customer's store since the week after Thanksgiving 2010.

The message popped up after a reboot, & it's rebooted once a week (Wed @ 4:00am) as scheduled.

Anyone else? Maybe its time to visit the M$ knowledge base.

I havent had any issues with my win 7 forgetting its un authentic,

You could try calling MS could be some kind of glith somewhere..

on the other side, i beleive win7 runs more or less normal evan with the error, not like xp and vista which if i rememebr correctly disabled a bunch of stuff and constantly nagged you

I doubt it's malware - it was only connected to the internet long enough to download the updates & activate the software - the longest it would've been plugged in would've been overnight if I happened to leave the machine connected. I haven't heard back though so that's a good thing.

Make sure auto run is disabled otherwise if someone sticks in a USB drive they could get infected.

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay

Got it.

OT: BTW, got 2 of the 8 ch Dahua's here (tks for the link), haven't had time to connect them yet tho

Yep .. or in the services list should be "Shell Hardware Detection"

Another fix for that, especially if plugging your USB drive in other computers, is to create a folder on the root drive called autorun.inf, typically the malware that was the issue at one time was stupid enough not to be able to remove the folder and create its autorun.inf file. If anything this at least stopped the spreading of the malware.