Itchy_Fingers

WiFi Camera's Bought On Ebay

Hi,

I thought I'd give a bit of feedback on these productis. In 2009 I purchased a single camera, it cost me around £160. Setting it up was relatively easy, although MS Windows security settings caused me some problems.

Recently (2011) I noted the price of these cameras had dropped considerably to £65 so I purchased a second unit from a different seller. This unit looks very similar to the first and again without any manufacturers details (Including name).

Once installed I found the picture quality of the two units were similar although the second one lacked green. That is to say all trees and grass was either white or grey. I returned the unit as faulty. At first I thought I was going to have problems with the seller (my parcel although tracked was lost in the post). But in the end the seller sent me a replacement as "a responsible seller".

When I set up the new camera the picture quality was the same as the one I'd sent back, no greens. I'm not sure what I am going to do about it yet. I am awaiting a response from the seller.

I'd say its a combination of a crappy sensor, DSP, and the absence of an IR cut filter. I have one super cheap camera that basically has little to no green, because the IR that it takes in changes the color...

Like everything else on ebay, it's buyer beware. . You generally get what you pay for and sometimes get a real shafting.

I have been fortunate in that I've only once been caught out and in the end got my money refunded by Paypal.

If you have found a seller that is responsive, I would say save that seller and in furure at least you can have some measure of confidence.

Prices drop, thats a fact of life and it really grates when you buy something and see the price plummet soon after. But thats just life!

I have learned the hard way that if you want a good picture on a CCTV camera you have to pay for the privilege. simple as...

anyway, hope it works out for you with the latest camera.

Once installed I found the picture quality of the two units were similar although the second one lacked green. That is to say all trees and grass was either white or grey.

Simple, it had no IR Cut Filter.

If its a day night camera then look for specs of TDN or ICR or Mechanical IR Cut Filter or Removable IR Cut Filter (IR = Infrared).

If its color only then its a gamble depending on the price, most color only will have a fixed IR Cut filter, really cheap ones may not though.

If its a really cheap day night most times its going to not have an IR Cut filter, we call that a Color IR camera. Some without IR Cut filter do a better job at the colors than others, depends on the DSP.

You get what you pay for, basically.