SEANHAWG

Zoom Lenses and Cameras with no RS-485 Controls

Excuse my ignoance in this area but I am so used to using RS-485 controls and PTZ protocols that I have never had experience in this area. Basically, we have gotten from time to time, some cameras that not only have RS-485 controls, they also have extra wire connections that are labeled "Zoom", "Focus, "Menu", and "Iris. So basically it gives you the option to use RS-485 or just direct wire them to the labeled wires if you want to use a seperate remote. Also we have some cameras and lenses that do not have RS-485 controls, they just have the direct wires on them as previously described. I need to learn how to control them. I have a few good zoom lenses here that I need to get fired up.

Am I correct in assuming that these wires are controlled by increases and decreases in voltage? For example, if you hooked a wire up to the zoom and there was an increase in voltage in that wire, the camera would zoom in, and if there was a decrease in voltage, it would zoom out. Is that basically how it works? If so, what type of controller would I need to google in order to control these. I am not sure what term to google. I talked to a guy who rigged up a remote control off of a remote control toy to operate his zoom lens. But I was looking for a little bit more professional way to do it

Excuse my ignoance in this area but I am so used to using RS-485 controls and PTZ protocols that I have never had experience in this area. Basically, we have gotten from time to time, some cameras that not only have RS-485 controls, they also have extra wire connections that are labeled "Zoom", "Focus, "Menu", and "Iris. So basically it gives you the option to use RS-485 or just direct wire them to the labeled wires if you want to use a seperate remote. Also we have some cameras and lenses that do not have RS-485 controls, they just have the direct wires on them as previously described. I need to learn how to control them. I have a few good zoom lenses here that I need to get fired up.

Am I correct in assuming that these wires are controlled by increases and decreases in voltage? For example, if you hooked a wire up to the zoom and there was an increase in voltage in that wire, the camera would zoom in, and if there was a decrease in voltage, it would zoom out. Is that basically how it works? If so, what type of controller would I need to google in order to control these. I am not sure what term to google. I talked to a guy who rigged up a remote control off of a remote control toy to operate his zoom lens. But I was looking for a little bit more professional way to do it

Sean, generally zoom and focus functions are operated by dc motors so power the zoom motor one way (say with a six or 9v battery) will drive the zoom in (or out). Reverse the voltage and the zoom will drive the other way. The higher the voltage the faster the action (up to the maximum design speed) normally around 12v for lenses.

The device that connects this to a data network is a telemetry receiver.

Which telemtry receiver can be controlled by a controller (or DVR) is the original start of the compatibility battles in the pld days.

The closest we ever came to a standard is Pelco as most of the far eastern manufacturers included this protocol in their systems.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Thanks for the information. That does help. So what kind of controller do you use to operate a zoom lens or camera that does not work off of Pelco protocols? It does not utilize the RS-485 connections. Is there a cheap controller out there that basically increases and decreases voltage?

If I recall the thread correctly, you should be able to search something on fleaBay based on her info.

I have Dee Ann on my FB too, I could drop her a note there if you have any other questions about what she used.

I think I bought the same decoder that she has on Fleabay, gotta wait for a couple of weeks for it to show up . I also have the same Ultrak PTZ controller that she has too, I just never bothered to hook it up.