rory

Sony Chips supply reduced by Disaster in Japan?

This is what one chinese manufacturer sent me via email:

"The supply of Sony CCD chips is reducing because of this disaster. Thus, the price for CCTV products may soon move upwards because of scarcity. It is high time to place order now before the prices go up."

Marketing ploy, or fact?

There are some factories affected that make sensors, DSP's, etc. It's not 100% clear how real the shortages are, some factories already had decent inventories, etc. Most manufacturers buy in pretty large lots, so I wouldn't expect to see this hit most aspects of the marketplace for another 2 months or so, unless you just happened to have a vendor that was waiting on a new order of chips that hadn't been manufactured yet.

I can vouch for that. Sony sensors that come for Japan are already in short supply in Shen Zhen (and I guess everywhere else) and prices have gone up, I do hope it will only be temporary until Japan starts recovering.

I guess I was wrong. I have gotten several emails from suppliers saying that they are in shortage of CCD's and that shipping times are longer than normal. Prices on some cameras have raised to $2-4 already.

Its amazing how much of an economic impact this is going to put on the entire globe being that Japan is such an export rich country.