What type of DVR

OK hello all,

Hope you can help me.

I am in the netherlands and looking for:

a low cost Embedded DVR with:

4-8 channels

etc...

etc...

!!!-!!! POS (point of sale) journal text data on screen (say 15 - 20 lines) of selected channel captured by ethernet (UDP) (not serial rs232) !!!-!!!

and search on any of the text data from the POS to find the footage that is needed.

please can someone help me with this?

best regards

Tom

OK hello all,

Hope you can help me.

I am in the netherlands and looking for:

a low cost Embedded DVR with:

4-8 channels

etc...

etc...

!!!-!!! POS (point of sale) journal text data on screen (say 15 - 20 lines) of selected channel captured by ethernet (UDP) (not serial rs232) !!!-!!!

and search on any of the text data from the POS to find the footage that is needed.

please can someone help me with this?

best regards

Tom

with not going RS232 and needing utp then go pc based (you need it for pos search) you need a keyboard to search.

how many till do you have and what make.

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=70

Thank you,

I'dd like to keep away from PC based system, to complex for endusers

i want something basic and cheaper like the averdigi nano series, but they don't support UDP

ps I use Uniwell tills.

Thank you,

I'dd like to keep away from PC based system, to complex for endusers

i want something basic and cheaper like the averdigi nano series, but they don't support UDP

ps I use Uniwell tills.

there is no differance with using an embedded windows based to a standalone. the operating side is the same.

if you dont need pos search then you would be best going RS232 to 485

Thank you,

I'dd like to keep away from PC based system, to complex for endusers.

If you think that's the case, you've been using some pretty sorry PC-based DVRs.

there is no differance with using an embedded windows based to a standalone. the operating side is the same.

How so? Please explain, and also to the OP, please explain your argument for it being too complicated also, I would like to hear both sides in depth, thanks.

Ive found, with current stand alone DVRs they can be just as complicated, and with older ones those can be more of a PITA for end users to operate not having a mouse for example like the new ones.

Thank you,

I'dd like to keep away from PC based system, to complex for endusers.

If you think that's the case, you've been using some pretty sorry PC-based DVRs.

Id say its the other way around, as in using sorry stand alones (or old ones), as most can be just as complicated or complexed these days as a PC DVR for the average non computer literate end user

How so? Please explain, and also to the OP, please explain your argument for it being too complicated also, I would like to hear both sides in depth, thanks.

Ive found, with current stand alone DVRs they can be just as complicated, and with older ones those can be more of a PITA for end users to operate not having a mouse for example like the new ones.

with the avermedia they all operate the same . be it standalone /pc/ or hybrid the operating screen is the same.

eh/eb/nv/sa/ touch. all have the same screen. so no differance in operation to the operator.

Nano

EH1000H-4Nano.jpg

nv/sa/touch

NV5000G-1.jpg

eh / eb(remote)

AVerDiGi%20EXR5016%20Series.jpg

So they totally changed the EB then? Cause the 1304's some clients have is nothing like anything in the images above.

Also that is only 1 brand, cant judge all based on one brand.

Thank you for the replies, but ill try to explain.

1 If a customer all-ready has a pc he wants everything build in to his own pc.

2 When pc based system is used endues can install a lot of different applications on it, witch in case of error we have to resolve.

3 Embedded is simple to replace in error case. just swap.

4 embedded i can't expediently put windows settings in a way that camera recording can stop like gaining to sleep etc.

5 Simple power up and ready!

@ tomcctv.

can this aver-media nano capture pos data true TCP/IP ?

regards,

Tom

2 When pc based system is used endues can install a lot of different applications on it, witch in case of error we have to resolve.

4 embedded i can't expediently put windows settings in a way that camera recording can stop like gaining to sleep etc.

@ tomcctv.

regards,

Tom

i can see your problem if you are going to install a dvr card into your customers existing pc. and he uses that pc also for private use. (not a good idea for a security system)

for what you are trying to do you need a windows embedded system. you need to capture the pos data into a file on the pc if you want pos search.

if you dont need pos search then just go RS232 and you can use any pos compatible system.

This is a bad idea to start with - a DVR should have its own dedicated PC. Same goes for any sort of security-related system, for that matter.

There are lots of ways to prevent this. Many DVR systems offer a "fullscreen" or "kiosk" mode that makes the desktop inaccessible to regular users. There are also systems like DeepFreeze that will automatically undo any changes with just a reboot. Or you can just create an image of the system drive once the system is up and running, and if things get too messed up, you just restore the system to its original working state.

Just as easy to do with PCs - we keep a few refurbished older systems around as "service loaners" for just this purpose. The nice thing, at least with the Vigil systems we use, is that we can export all the settings for a particular site (camera names, site name, motion settings, etc.) to a file once the system is set up, and if we have to put a loaner in, those settings can then be easily loaded from a flash drive to minimize "tweaking" time. Even better: because these systems use the "octopus" breakout cables, we don't have to spend time disconnecting all the cameras from the dead system and reconnecting them to the loaner; we just disconnect the breakout cable from one machine and connect it to the other.

An added bonus that we've started implementing with one client: we're doing ALL the recording to external network-attached drives, so if the DVR dies and need to be replaced, the footage all stays on-site, and can be used immediately with the loaner system.

Huh??

Disabling power management settings in Windows take about 30 seconds. Our Vigil systems come from the manufacturer with their own embedded build of Windows that have power management disabled; the rebuilds we do with our own copies of Windows, I use an "nLited" version of Windows that has power management disabled by default as well.

@ tomcctv.

regards,

Tom

I've seen only one DVR that can directly capture POS data via TCP/IP, and log it in a searchable database, and that's Vigil, although I'm sure others exist. Many of them will do it via RS-232.

1-Should be a dedicated PC

2-The software normally has a feature to lock a user out from going to the desktop

3-I agree, unless selling alot of them, probably best to use ready built, though PC comes ready built also.

4-Simple change in power settings

5-I agree, one of the main reasons Ive gone back to non PC, plug and play barely any setup time

One thing you left out though, standalones (non Windows DVRs) are typically really basic hardware, can plug them in the hottest environments and not have to worry about cooling them with a ton of fans, that is what has really drawn me back to them due to clients needs, but also I just dont want to build DVRs anymore unless for the right price. In addition to that, standalones are typically cheaper now with enough features for most.

That said, still wont get the evidence sharing features typically found in a Windows based DVR. And as mentioned other features like advanced search, and they also mention POS though I have no experience with that myself. Plus you normally arent stuck to only 1 type of compression.

So IMO both types of DVRs still have their place.