VST_Man

Networked Video Storage

I just installed a Network Drive for a PC Based 16 Camera system. The install was seamless and it is working fine. Not only do you remote/hide the priceless video, I also power the unit off the 12vdc camera power supply which is backed up by a 1000KVA APC.

I plan on making this my standard package install. I also plan on going to a Gigabyte LAN to ensure that when the system is max'd out that there are no bottle neck issues. Anyone out there have a good source on a Gbyte switch? Linksys has been my goto....................

I know some out there don't like the PC based systems but I'll post another concerning my expierences with to date.

Edimax makes a very good lower cost switch. These things have a fan inside them and have proven to withstand numerous power surges, etc. with no failures. I highly recommend them. The ES-5500S and ES-800S are the ones we use.

http://www.edimax.com/

scottj

A Gigabit network drive will probably cost more than the PC though.

What drives have you been using? What are you backing up to?

using a Argyosys network drive enclosure with a 300 Maxtor. Ordered a Maxtor network drive yesterday to test.

Giga....yes, the cost will be higher for gig. Can I isolate the network connection; instead of running it via the linksys switch, run it directly into the server on another network card? this may remove the bottle neck issue with other traffic on the network?

Everything works great, so i'm just trying to improve. there is a slight delay in when you first access the video for review but after it sync's up it works fine. i'm not sure a seperate connection will improve that. test, test, test....

It requires more configuration but it can be done that way. Basicly you are setting up a second network and having the DVR act as a gateway.