snowweb

14 Outdoor PTZ Wifi Cams - site:500m x 300m

Do you think this forum is right to dissallow the upload of PDF's?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this forum is right to dissallow the upload of PDF's?

• Yes
    • No

Looking for the best way to deploy a mainly WiFi CCTV system out of doors.

I would have attached a floor plan and also a network drawing that I've made, which shows the general idea of what I'm trying to achieve. However, the forum software does not allow .pdf. Anyone got any ideas why not and what could possibly be safer than that, that I can use to share this information with you?

It doesn't seem worth me explaining the rest of my problem now, since you'll have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just go and find a forum which is moderated more sensibly!

Thanks for wasting my time in registering and writing this post.

Looking for the best way to deploy a mainly WiFi CCTV system out of doors.

I would have attached a floor plan and also a network drawing that I've made, which shows the general idea of what I'm trying to achieve. However, the forum software does not allow .pdf. Anyone got any ideas why not and what could possibly be safer than that, that I can use to share this information with you?

It doesn't seem worth me explaining the rest of my problem now, since you'll have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just go and find a forum which is moderated more sensibly!

Thanks for wasting my time in registering and writing this post.

what a good way to start on a forum. you have the likes of photobucket or google maps. and you can insert pdf ... if you put it in a link.

yea it is very easy to host a image and share it on the forum. What cameras are you planing on using? What wireless system are you looking at?

Edited by Guest

Or just export it to an image, and attach that?

I don't know why it's not supported... maybe because nobody ever asked before? I know it's not a default supported format in phpBB, so it would have to be manually added to the allowed list. Could just be nobody thought of it before. It also might not be desirable because PDFs can be very large, and the site host may provide only limited space and bandwidth to the account.

Lots of reasons it may not be allowed... you might think about things like that before getting snarky and storming out.

Despite all that, you'll find people here are still willing to be helpful. A generic thought about a WiFi system this size: you probably don't want to have more than a couple cameras per access point, ideally just one, so you'll want a point-to-point connection for each camera, tying directly into a switch.

I don't run the forum, but I probably also would not want to be hosting someone else's 2Mb PDF file... It's not just a matter of file extension, but also size.

I don't run the forum, but I probably also would not want to be hosting someone else's 2Mb PDF file... It's not just a matter of file extension, but also size.

Exactly. Some can get much larger than that, too.

Notice that image attachments are limited to 75kB. If you insert an attached image inline, every time someone views that post, the image is downloaded again. If the images are too big, that adds up to a LOT of bandwidth being used.

In any case, I suspect the main reason PDF isn't supported is simply that nobody ever thought to add it, and as I say, it's NOT present by default in phpBB3.