2manyg

Dedicated Micros SD Won't Boot

Hi guys, new to this board, loads of great info but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I tried updating the firmware from 4.2 to 4.3 on My Dedicated Micro SD 32 Chn. I downloaded all the software onto a USB stick and followed the instructions on their website here: http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/software_release/index_firmware.php.

However the unit said something along the lines of 'Update failed, please check USB / CD device' the unit then became unresponsive and now won't boot. The red light at the front is flashing and if I try and access via the web I get a white screen that says: Engineering Bootloader - No web interface available'

I have no idea how to sort this, any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks

Hi guys, new to this board, loads of great info but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I tried updating the firmware from 4.2 to 4.3 on My Dedicated Micro SD 32 Chn. I downloaded all the software onto a USB stick and followed the instructions on their website here: http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/software_release/index_firmware.php.

However the unit said something along the lines of 'Update failed, please check USB / CD device' the unit then became unresponsive and now won't boot. The red light at the front is flashing and if I try and access via the web I get a white screen that says: Engineering Bootloader - No web interface available'

I have no idea how to sort this, any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks

Hi. DM have around 7 SD32 in there range. and the firmware has to match the dvr. the firmware sits in a partion on the master HD. you only have 2 options. send your unit back for full software or ask dm to log in. you are lucky that the network is still responsive hence Engineering boot. this means DM can log on with your serial number.

Thanks for the advice, mine is the M3G based SD32. Turns out I did not carry out the pre-upgrade procedure via telnet/serial connection, I miss read the instructions and thought this was done afterwards. Have contacted DM, hopefully it won't be too expensive to put right!

Thanks for the advice, mine is the M3G based SD32. Turns out I did not carry out the pre-upgrade procedure via telnet/serial connection, I miss read the instructions and thought this was done afterwards. Have contacted DM, hopefully it won't be too expensive to put right!

hi. dm charge for everything even tho they are a very good unit the keep up costs are stupid. there log on service is not as bad as sending the unit back. so at least you have that.

another way would be to google a dm agent in your area (these seem cheaper than DM themselfs) and they can log on.

Thre are a few ways to do this but some your system may not currently support depending on what version of software is on it.

As DM tend to evolve their software over time, new features and methods of upgrading are brought in.

So, do you happen to know what version of software you currently have installed?

From a telnet prompt, or serial connection at 115200 8N1, type version.

To fix the unit, there will be several zip files on your USB stick.

These are prefaced with the location of the drive on which they need to be installed.

So if a file is called NVD0xxxxx.zip then it needs to be extracted to NVD0.

If the file is prefixed with UPGRADE then it goes on to what is currently configured as the system drive.

This is either the main drive drive, or in some gen3 products, it can be a built in memory drive.

You can tell which by doing via telnet/serial: Escm\enquire\appdrive

Actually press Esc key where I've typed Esc.

This will likely return mdd0 or hdd0

So you would extract the NVD0 zip to NVD0 like this:

unzip NVD0xxxx.zip /nvd0

The UPGRADE files to the correct drive, for my example mdd0:

unzip UPGRADE*.zip /mdd0

* is the wildcard, same as windows so will take all files with the UPGRADE prefix.

If you want to go hunting for why the software upgrade hasn't already worked then poke around in the /hdd0/bin or /mdd0/bin directory and check that you have all the application and codec files present.

For the M3G SD32 there should be a m3gp.elf and c2dm.elf in this folder.

Getting au fait with the DM streaming out of the serial 1 port is good if you have a lot of systems installed or are an installer.

If things go wrong, normally there is a key point in there to show what has happened.

DM have integrated this on to their webpages too for customers to review without the need for serial comms.

Thanks for all this great info guys, with your help I managed to communicate with the Unit via Telnet, and a really helpful lady from DM has managed to dial into our network and finish the procedure for me!

Have learned a lot about telnet thanks to you chaps and will feel 100% confident performing any future updates.

I know it's been awhile since this post, however I'm having the same issue with my SD32. I tried upgrading it following the instructions, it hang, and now all I get is the flashing red light. I tried telnetting to the box using a serial cable and get no response. Any ideas to get me going in the right direction? This was working great before the upgrade. Uggh.

Hi there, I thought I was quite technically proficient, but the telnet solution was far too complex for me!

I eventually rang Dedicated Micros who sorted the whole thing out for me remotely, the unit was not under warranty and they did not charge me a penny. What a great company! It has been working ever since. Give them a ring, hopefully you will have the same result as I had!

I think I may have figured out my issue. I was using a straight through serial cable instead of a null modem. I'm guessing that's why I couldn't connect over serial.