Huh?? TZO is a DDNS service, so if you dont have a static IP, that is what it is designed for, auto updates your ISP's DHCP IP so you dont have to purchase a Static IP. I'm just curious what it has to do with the Acti Remote Software?

I am using no-IP service.

I have the DDNS disabled in my router. Is there any advantage to using the router?

With these free services why would anybody pay for a static IP? I'm sure there's a reason I just can't think of it right at the moment.

I can understand Scott's point though. It puts another link in the chain that can break.

using the router means one less service on the PC ... i used it for a while until my Linksys Router stopped working properly, the DHCP stopped working and tripped out the DynDns service, so i had to make my DynDns.org account a static one, i have a new router here now, just havent had a chance to switch out yet.

ive been using DynDns.org for almost a year without issues for clients ..

I can understand the TZO pay service to an extent, but in most cases the free service works well.

Im definately going to check out the TZO service more when i get a chance, as there may be a reason to go that route over DynDns .. as for Static IP, it cost a home user here in the Bahamas an upgrade to the $70 package from the normal $36 package, and then an extra $20 for the static IP, as with the $36 package cant get the Static IP with that. Business Accounts automatically get a static IP though.

Our biggest problem here is bandwidth issues. They charge an arm and a leg to get decent bandwidth.

Rory

Using TZO with the ACTi streamer, it's the firmware (using thttp from acme.com?) that contacts TZO with your current ip address, so there's nothing to load on your pc and nothing special required of the modem, so long as you let it talk outside your LAN... you never notice it, and the streamer has many DDNS service choices. Very nice feature to have and TZO is so cheap... just enter the password into the streamer, along with your other network settings, and you have a server you can access & record from anywhere. Power failures don't seem to knock it down for long, it just comes right back up streaming...