modarzeneh

Need some definitions Please !!!

Hi, I am new here, And i would like to ask if you can define these terms please :

1 - 3D DNR

2 - illumination

3 - DIS function

4 - ILBCT(IR Led Brightness Conservation technology)

5 - OSD function

6 - PIR sensor Camera

7 - Blind Spot for the camera

8 - WDR function

9 - BLC Function

10 - AGC function

Thank you for replying.....

Hi, I am new here, And i would like to ask if you can define these terms please :

I'll take a stab. Keep in mind on some of these, I'll be going by the "standard" definitions - some manufacturers have their own variations, and some may give the same function a slightly different name and thus a different acronym... kinda like an ATM (automatic teller machine) and an ABM (automatic banking machine) are the same thing... or ALB (Anti Lock Brakes) and ABS (Antilock Braking System).

That said....

1 - 3D DNR

DNR typically means Dynamic Noise Reduction or Digital Noise Reduction. 3D DNR is a variation of this - the best explanation I could find posits that "3D noise reduction generally refers to noise reduction that operates both spatially and temporally. That gives you your 3 dimensions." However, since "3D" is a big buzzword right now, it's also possible some manufacturers are using to refer to something different.

2 - illumination

Shining a light on something... with cameras, that often means infrared (IR) light.

3 - DIS function

This is one I haven't heard. Problem with acronyms is, the letters can stand for just about anything.

4 - ILBCT(IR Led Brightness Conservation technology)

At a guess, this would be a feature that dims the IR output under certain conditions. Most IR illuminators just blast full power, all the time.

5 - OSD function

OSD = On-Screen Display. Usually refers to cameras where the settings are accessed and adjusted through an on-screen menu and a set of buttons or small joystick on or in the camera.

6 - PIR sensor Camera

A PIR (Passive Infrared) sensor is the technical name for a motion sensor, the type you see on alarm systems. You'll usually see them in the corner of a room, with a red light that blinks on whenever you move. A PIR camera is generally a PIR with a small covert camera hidden inside it... or just the shell of a PIR with a camera in it. They're designed for "stealth" surveillance.

7 - Blind Spot for the camera

Depending on where you're getting all these... this probably means the same thing as the "blind spot" when you're driving: and area that's blocked from the camera's view, such as around a corner or behind a piece of furniture.

8 - WDR function

Wide Dynamic Range. Your eyes are good at seeing high-contrast scenes, things that have both very dark and very bright areas. Camera sensors are not. WDR is processing that essentially lowers the overall contrast, dimming the bright areas and brightening up the dark areas.

9 - BLC Function

Back Light Compensation. Most cameras will adjust their brightness to get proper display out of a scene. If you have a backlit situation, such as a camera in a darker room looking out through a large window, the camera will dim itself... and anything not front-lit will just appear as a silhouette. BLC tells the camera to boost the overall level and allow the bright areas to overexpose, so the dimmer objects will show more detail.

10 - AGC function

Automatic Gain Control. The underlying function for adjusting the brightness of the camera to meet light conditions.

3 - DIS function

This is one I haven't heard. Problem with acronyms is, the letters can stand for just about anything.

Digital Image Stabilisation

Cliff notes definition is that it reduces the amount of image shake that can affect a camera feed due to vibration etc.

3 - DIS function

Digital Image Stabilisation

Cliff notes definition is that it reduces the amount of image shake that can affect a camera feed due to vibration etc.

Of course, I should have know that. Duh.

This would be, as opposed to optical image stabilization, which typically uses motors and/or gyroscopes to physically move either lens elements, or the sensor, to counteract shake and vibrations. Digital stabilization will shrink the area displayed a little bit, then digitally move the image itself to counteract the effect of vibration.

Of course, I should have know that. Duh.

This would be, as opposed to optical image stabilization, which typically uses motors and/or gyroscopes to physically move either lens elements, or the sensor, to counteract shake and vibrations. Digital stabilization will shrink the area displayed a little bit, then digitally move the image itself to counteract the effect of vibration.

Even omnigeeks have their off days ;P