the lemming

Legal aspects of a domestic CCTV system...are there any?

Hello

I am about to set up a CCTV system outside my house to obviously protect my property and ensure that those that live close to me act responsibly.

So that I don't get into any hot water with the police, are there any considerations I must take when placing my cmeras?

I don't want to infringe on any Human Rights sort of stuff.

Cheers

Hello

I am about to set up a CCTV system outside my house to obviously protect my property and ensure that those that live close to me act responsibly.

So that I don't get into any hot water with the police, are there any considerations I must take when placing my cmeras?

I don't want to infringe on any Human Rights sort of stuff.

Cheers

I think the general rule of thumb is that focused on your own property is ok, but on public property ie the street, it has to be signposted. And definately no on your neighbours

I think Campbell's rule-of-thumb will apply most places, but the answer to your question really depends on where you live, as each country will be different, and each state or province also have their own specific laws about it.

Since this is an international forum, and you haven't told us where you live, there's not much more detail anyone can give you.

Some security surveillance systems can record audio. Surveillance audio recording is illegal in some states.

In addition to the penal code, there is also the possibility for civil liability. For example, some businesses and home owner associations have been sued by victims of crimes who claimed that since the business/hoa had security cameras, they assumed a responsibility for security, which they failed to adequately provide.

Best,

Christopher

Since this is an international forum, and you haven't told us where you live, there's not much more detail anyone can give you.

Sorry about that. I live in Great Britain.

Thanks for the link. I had a good read of the site yesterday and it is very helpful.

I've even asked the local police for their input as well.

Cheers

Try this to help you.

Hi Campbell and others

DO I NEED TO REGISTER - IF SO - HOW ?

Thank you for the excellent information on the forums which has been a great help regarding building my system.

I shall shortly be commissioning my 16Ch system at my home in the Canary Island of Lanzarote (Spain). Last year I had a break-in which is what prompted me to install a system for home use. The Civil Guardia were very good but I realised that without a good picture image it would be difficult to help them further.

I shall be using an Avermedia 16ch DVR with watermarking, which will overwrite when the drive is full and only filming images from within the boundaries of my own property.

Appreciate any advice

Thanks