spreedin

500ft run with burial help

So I am installing 5 Cameras at this gun club in Michigan and he has a shop about 500 ft away he wants a camera in for the inside of the building. Here is my game plan for that and please let me know what i need to change if any as this is the first time burying cable........this is a all metal building as well...

Trench 12-18 Inches Deep

1" PVC straight as possible pull cat5 as we go

Cat 5e Regular or other???

Baluns Cat5 to BNC

Power will be local

thx ahead of time

For a single run, or even two, 1/2" should do. I wouldn't pull the wire in "as you go" - that's a MAJOR MAJOR pain in the arse, trust me on this.

Personally, I'd assemble the conduit first, making sure to seal all the joins properly... then use a shop vac to pull a string through. This is quick and easy: take a little piece of a plastic bag, enough that you can puff it out to fill the pipe, then tie a pull string to it. Seal the vacuum hose against one end of the pipe, then insert the "mouse" into the other, and let it go. Should only take a minute for it to go the full distance. Then you can use that string to pull your wire.

If possible (cost allowing), I'd pull a second Cat5e at the same time, as well as another pull string, so when it's all done, you have two cables and one string left in the pipe - that gives you future capacity, and the ability to pull another wire if necessary. Make sure to use lots of lube to make pulling easier - if you're going to leave a pull string in it, use the yellow lube, as it will leave a waxy coating behind and make future pulls easier.

Please do not use 1/2" PVC. They should not even make the stuff. For the cost differerence (close to none) at least use 3/4". You would be more than ok with 3/4, but as Soundy said, bury two right away while the trench is open. Leave the second as a spare. Do not put more than 360 degrees of bend in the pipe and you'll be fine. As Soundy said, don't pull the wire as you go. It's much easier to pull it after, especially at that lenght. Also, I would pull an extra wire or two right away. At that length it will be tough going later to add anything. Also to make it easier you can get some Clear Glide, which is pulling lube. A little goes a long way and makes it sooooo much easier to pull in the plastic pipe. Lastly, if it were me I'd pull direct burial cable or indoor/outdoor rated cable in the pipe. You'd be amazed at how much water gets in the pipe over time due to condensation or a poor joint. The better wire will get you a longer life. Hope this helps. Good luck.

OK both replies sound good.....but that will be deep enough, the baluns and local power are correct then......awesome.........as for the trench I got 2 sons who will be dogging that hole...they will def earn there money that day.......I will talk to the owner and he will spring out some extra cash and Ill just go ahead and pull two lines from the start ....and the lube I will be using that for sure...thanks

Agreed, 3/4" is preferable (I'd meant to put that before, but forgot). Clear Glide, however, will dry out before long... if you're going to leave a string along with the lines, you should use the "Yellow 77" lube, as it will leave things a little slick and easier to deal with if you want to add any lines later (also make it easier if you ever need to pull those out).

Of course, if you don't decide to leave a string in with the pull, it doesn't matter...

You may be able to get a utility company to do a directional bore for the 500ft, they will do a locate service which will help avoiding hazards and make for a lot less headaches, depending on budget of course.

Who uses 12mm conduit? The smallest I would ever use is 16. But usually use 20 because its cheaper.

You wouldn't believe how many people use it. It's crazy. PITA to pull through and it loves to bend.

Are you really going to have your kids dig a 18" deep trench 500'? That is going to take forever. You'd be money ahead renting a trencher. Depending on where it is, we often times knife the conduit into the ground. This is done with a trencher that has a vibrating blade on it. No dirt to shovel back into the hole. Not sure on the budget though. Directional boring will definatley be the most expensive, but least evasive. Good luck.

As already stated i would make sure you use direct burial cable, because no matter how well u seal the joints, sooner or later u will get moister in there and regular cat5 pvc will not do well in time while sitting in water or moister.

We do a lot of trenching for fiber and ethernet networks. What we have found is a must also is laying your tape/identifier about 1 ft above your pipe to warn anyone in the future trenching that they are trenching to close to your pipe/path. We also have above ground markers identifing our path for added measurers.

Are you really going to have your kids dig a 18" deep trench 500'? That is going to take forever. You'd be money ahead renting a trencher. Depending on where it is, we often times knife the conduit into the ground. This is done with a trencher that has a vibrating blade on it. No dirt to shovel back into the hole. Not sure on the budget though. Directional boring will definatley be the most expensive, but least evasive. Good luck.

That was my first thought when I read the post, but it's more fun watching kids dig a 500' trench.