34Ford

Male DC power plugs with pigtails for cameras, junk?

In the past I bought the dc power connectors and soldered them myself on the end of my siamese coax.

And I thought I would buy 10 of the ones on Ebay already molded with pigtails.

Well all I can say is the wires must be a 28 gauge or something. I mean there is hardly and strands at all. And hard to strip without ripping out some strands.

I should have looked at a cctv site, but at least Im not out much money, get what you pay for.

Personally I prefer to solder on the DC plugs myself. At least I can check for a good tight fit first.

If you find pigtails useful, why not make a batch of you're own? Or has been suggested, some installers do away

with them altogether and just use connector block. ( I have been tempted) The plugs illustrated above are also a popular

solution and I have used them before without problems too. My preference I have to say is for the solder on types because

before engaging them, I can slip a piece of heat shrink over one side and after engaging the plug and socket, shrink it over the mated connectors for a secure connection.

The screw on DC plugs and sockets are about the ONLY I now get from ebay. I keep a few as a back up mostly.

Don't be embarrassed you got sold a pup. It's happened to us all at some time.

Or has been suggested, some installers do away with them altogether and just use connector block.

I find wire nuts now the easiest thing to use ... cut the power connector off twist the wire and twist the wire nut on .. easy to remove also but still secure.

largeELK9022-1.jpg

Gel-filled type helps prevent corrosion by keeping moisture out of the connection. Not a big deal indoors, but invaluable outdoors, especially here where we're near the coast.

Yeah the gell filled ("beanies" as we call them here) do last with the salt air, the others tend to go green over time ...

I think I will solder these directly to the end of the cable like I have in the past. That way theres no shrink wrap or screws to deal with.

pRS1C2266174w345-1.jpg

I think I will solder these directly to the end of the cable like I have in the past. That way theres no shrink wrap or screws to deal with.

pRS1C2266174w345-1.jpg

Why not just solder the wires together?