I have heard you can provide power to your cameras over ethernet as well as video, if I only use 2 wires for video and split the remaining six into 3 and 3, can someone explain how this is done?

“I have heard you can provide power to your cameras over ethernet as well as video, if I only use 2 wires for video and split the remaining six into 3 and 3, can someone explain how this is done?”

I sure you figured out that that google link was worthless, but here is some information you can actually use.

This is from Soundy one of our most knowledgeable members.

Typically, I'll use the blue pair for video (blue for signal +, white/blue for signal -), the green pair tied together for power ground/neutral, orange pair tied together for power positive/line, and leave the brown pair as a spare or for RS-485 control. There's no particular reason for these color choices, they just made sense to me at the time, so it's what we use.

If you do not want to leave a pair of wires for RS485 then you can add those wires to the power wires to triple up the connection.

Heh, thanks for the props, Nimrod

Just to clarify a couple points, though:

"Ethernet" is a type of network connection; it is not specific to any cable, although Category 5e or 6 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) is used almost exclusively, which is why they're usually simply called "ethernet cable".

"Power over Ethernet" refers to a particular specification (IEEE 802.3af) for providing power alongside the ethernet signal on a UTP cable. The spec includes voltage in the 44-48VDC range - you DO NOT want to feed this into any analog cameras!

What you're talking about is NOT ethernet, or power-over-ethernet.

Analog video using baluns most commonly uses UTP (Cat5e or Cat6) because they're readily available, and Cat5e is super-cheap these days. However, the concept will work with just about any wire pairs. We've used "station-Z" wire on occasion (four 22-ga. conductors, non-twisted). I've run video with baluns over 18/2 audio wire and shielded 20/2 mic wire.

Sorry I should have chosen my words more carefully, what I was referring to was providing the power over the UTP cable, which I know understand the concept.