shazam109

I throw myself on your tender mercies - Newbie

OR use a smaller 9-40MM lens that will fit in a dome housing

SL940A-sm.png

Also you could use a box camera with build in 5-85mm lens with remote zoom and focus.

hdh264-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

“You don't need facial recognition the entire length of the hall...

It's a hall. It has 2 walls and 1 exit at each end... They aren't going to be Shadowcat from Xmen and walk through the walls. They'll pass it on the way in and on the way out.”

I am not really blaming you for not knowing this and you are not a loud mouth claiming you know everything with no proof. In this case i have the advantage of owning an apartment building and i know what goes on. but as it is, you are wrong on both counts.

First if you calculate the pixels per foot on the ends of the hall that is worst case, the closer you are to a camera the better it gets.

Second in effect there are people walking through walls. It has happened to me several times. What happens is if you have a young beautiful girl on the first floor she is chased by many young stupid men. And what they do is bang on her window, if she does not answer and her window is up they cut the screen and climb in her apartment. The first the first few times when i saw faces that just appeared out of nowhere peaking out of her door i thought my motion detection was not working as i had no record of them entering. But when i finally found the cut screen and asked my tenant about it she confirmed her boy friends just climb in the window if she is not home. Second there are just plain breakins, after the boy friends episode i knew my system was working and when a mysterious face was peaking out of a empty apartment i quickly collected the video footage and called the police. The police easily identified him and i got a conviction. But then again i used the proper camera for the proper job so having good video was not a surprise.

“It doesn't have to be THAT camera, that was just a generic suggestion (I was searching for a picture of a megapixel box cam). Use whatever model suits the job.

The point was, you're limited to lens sizes that will fit when using a standard "dome camera", so... think outside the box (pun intended) and put a box cam and lens inside a dome housing.”

OK i see what you are saying now, i am sure there are box cameras that meet the lux spec and you found a lens and housing, congratulations you are the cctv forum hero!

The IQ511 is rated for 0.2 lux, 1.3MP (1280x1024) and will fit in a smaller DF5 dome housing (I know, because I've installed many of them in DF5s).

“The IQ511 is rated for 0.2 lux, 1.3MP (1280x1024) and will fit in a smaller DF5 dome housing (I know, because I've installed many of them in DF5s).”

To bad i do not have that building anymore, i just happen to have 2 IQ511 sitting here, hmm with wrong lens $%^&. But i could of used them for a lux check, as i said before the Ganz cameras were rated at .3 lux and they were just sensitive enough to work if subject was under or very close to one of the double 40 watt florescent fixtures. So hard for me to say a .2 lux would work ok. Thats why i specified a .1 lux.

I could post some night-time sample images, but I don't have any lux readings for the scenes, so they wouldn't really be valid examples.

I could post some night-time sample images, but I don't have any lux readings for the scenes, so they wouldn't really be valid examples.

Please post them I would love finally see some good IQI shots.

Your funny, The fact is you are not using the proper camera or the right design for the job. Because you can not buy it!!!

The only reason you are getting away with using a camera with such a poorly matched lens for the job, is because you are over compensating with a whopping 5mp camera, all for a tiny 5 foot wide hallway. Do you have any idea how silly this is. And what about the poor schmuck who has to pay 4X the cost for your mismatched design.

At what resolution u capture your video

cif ? D1 ?

Thx

“At what resolution u capture your video

cif ? D1 ?”

It was a cheap DVR card and program that only said 640x480

Sounds like a job for a bunch of DFL-20's

cheap 0.03 lux color mini dome cameras ...

throw up a bunch of cheap KT&C 0.05lux Standard BW bullets on the outside .. a 32 channel dahua .. and good to go

“Sounds like a job for a bunch of DFL-20's

cheap 0.03 lux color mini dome cameras ...

throw up a bunch of cheap KT&C 0.05lux Standard BW bullets on the outside .. a 32 channel dahua .. and good to go”

You are absolutely right, but remember this was back 8 years ago or so. The athlon 2200 cpu was the rage and 300 gig hard drivers were big. Back then that Ganz was a pretty good camera probably around $350

“At what resolution u capture your video

cif ? D1 ?”

It was a cheap DVR card and program that only said 640x480

Your math is wrong !

u have to take 640 over ~ 12 feet = 53 ppf

u mix in up pixel and tvl

very common mistake

“Your math is wrong !

u have to take 640 over ~ 12 feet = 53 ppf

u mix in up pixel and tvl

very common mistake”

No my math is not wrong. I am talking about a 5ft FOV and i used 480 tvl because of the current dvr thread were the consensus is that no dvr can record over 480 tvl. So 480tvl / 5ft = 96 pix/ft.

You only use pixels for digital cameras, for analog cameras you use tvl.

Well... i guess you guys telling the same thing

I used CNB vandal-proof domes and they were all under $100. 620TVL and IR LEDs.

I liked the "intelligent IR" feature - it turns down IR power depending on proximity of the subject.

No my math is not wrong. I am talking about a 5ft FOV and i used 480 tvl because of the current dvr thread were the consensus is that no dvr can record over 480 tvl. So 480tvl / 5ft = 96 pix/ft.

You only use pixels for digital cameras, for analog cameras you use tvl.

Your Analog cam is being connected to DVR

DVR will capture in pixels only

“Your Analog cam is being connected to DVR

DVR will capture in pixels only”

I am just about ready to go thru the roof. Listen up, analog does NOT have pixels, pixels are DIGITAL, the signal from the camera to the DVR is ANALOG.

“Your Analog cam is being connected to DVR

DVR will capture in pixels only”

I am just about ready to go thru the roof. Listen up, analog does NOT have pixels, pixels are DIGITAL, the signal from the camera to the DVR is ANALOG.

Did I say Analog has pixels ?

I am saying your final recording is DIGITAL

means pixels

and just for fun pix for you done by Avigilon

size was reduce for forum

A800x600-1.jpg

“Did I say Analog has pixels ?

I am saying your final recording is DIGITAL

means pixels”

The analog signal from the camera connects to the dvr. This analog signal goes into an analog to digital converter and that gives you binary data that corresponds to the analog signal. This binary data is then processed by the computer and is made in to jpegs, mpegs, etc or some proprietary format. At no time is the data stored in pixels.

And thank you for the nice picture, i can not tell you how much fun i am having with it.

Actually the cameras ARE digital, it's the transmission that is not.

For example most 480-650TVL cameras have 768x494 total effective pixels NTSC.

This is before it leaves the camera.

Hang on! You can change the lens to suit the environment with an IP camera, just as you can with an analog. You can't know what his lighting is like in his building but most I know are easily light enough to accomodate CCD chips. And at 30ft? or even 90ft... that's only 30m. 1 camera at each end with IP is easily going to be enough to cover 10-15m even at 1.3MP.

Your scenario of boys climbing windows to get into a girls apartment whilst not unique is surely not common. I've never had it happen on any of my jobs.

I guess it comes down to preference. I pretty much exclusively use IP cameras these days, rarely does a situation call for something other than unless it needs to be basement price. I have no issues with lighting or anything else.

“Actually the cameras ARE digital, it's the transmission that is not.

For example most 480-650TVL cameras have 768x494 total effective pixels NTSC.

This is before it leaves the camera.”

Thank you for completely missing the point of the thread. We are talking about what resolution an analog camera is and what is sent to the dvr. Resolution for analog cameras is defined as a number of lines you can count displayed on a CRT. And no it is not floating pixels through the analog stream. The bandwidth of the analog signal is what actually determines what the number of lines is.

Thank you for completely missing the point of the thread.

Actually the point of the thread is someone asking what to use for a particular application, everyone here has gone off topic.

Anyway IP on a budget?

CNB IP cameras? Comes with free NVR software

Or Geovision IP Cameras, also come with free NVR software (need a fast computer though).

Others also mention Vivotek, though not sure if they have NVR software included.

Good luck ...