SectorSecurity

furthest distance for an IP camera

This may be a noob question but here it goes, if I run IP cameras am I still limited to the 300ft limitation of your standard UTP cable as you are in a networking environment or am I able to go further without data loss, and if so how much further?

Ideally I want to be able to keep my switch in the front office and run throughout my warehouse, some distances are about 500-600ft.

This may be a noob question but here it goes, if I run IP cameras am I still limited to the 300ft limitation of your standard UTP cable as you are in a networking environment or am I able to go further without data loss, and if so how much further?

Ideally I want to be able to keep my switch in the front office and run throughout my warehouse, some distances are about 500-600ft.

Data is still data and as a result still has the same limitations. You'll need to toss in a switch somewhere to run that length. Bear in mind if you're using PoE, the power wont run through the switch either

Thats what I thought and I am aware that the POE switch has to be the one the camera is plugged into, so for runs longer then 300ft would you recommend just implementing multiple switches or repeaters or another option?

There are Cat 5 extenders out there that can push over 550 ft. If your running the wire, you could pull a second larger pair for power. I have used cat 5 extenders in the past with success. I have also pushed 400 feet on many occasions and still had success. We even have runs over 328ft on original cat 5 (not 5e) running gig ethernet. My experience in an industrial environment. We did have the occasional situation where we reran wire, but that was rare.

Lots of extenders out there... a couple examples:

http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=706&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

P02 IP extenders are designed to extend any TCP/IP devices for long range transmission up to 1.2Km over existing coaxial cable. They are completely transparent to protocols, codes, and applications ensuring compatibility with any IP camera and its management software. It is a perfect solution for sending IP video links to remote camera installations that are beyond the 100 meters distance limit of Ethernet.

http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=709&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

IP03 Extends IP 1200 meters maximum over CAT5 Cable

IP03 IP extenders are designed to extend any TCP/IP devices for long range transmission up to 1.2Km over CAT5 cable. They are completely transparent to protocols, codes, and applications ensuring compatability with any IP camera and its management software. It is perfect for sending IP video links to remote camera installations that are beyond the 100 meters distance limit of Ethernet.

An IP extender is just a super powered single port switch

Not necessarily.

The twisted pair Ethernet distance limitation is a factor of timing, not signal strength. The electrical pulses on twisted pair Ethernet can go far beyond 100 Meters. But, once you exceed that distance the back and forth propagation times can cause the collision-sense part of the stack to get confused (I am greatly summarizing here).

So, a proper distance extender is also a protocol convertor.