cycattani

DVR does not have enough storage

I used a dvr generic brand from CCTV Cameras Direct, a 9 chanel but only using 4 cameras. I can only get 7 days recording time. A competitor gets

23 days using a Falcon 9120. I need to get equal or more days. I am

set on basic quality and 4 ips. This equates to 1 ips per camera. I am also using motion alarm recording. The chart says on basic and 4 ips I

should be getting 15 days. What to you think of the Falcon and what is

the type of compression use by ATV Falcon???

Make sure you aren't recording the other 5 channels by mistake even though you aren't using cameras. Check in the menu setup to make sure those channels are zero'd out or there is some non record function for them. Also check your motion detection at night since you may be recording at night because of camera noise. This often happens, especially with lower end cameras.

The Falcon system can usually compress better than some of the lower end generic units. If you go on their website you can see the various compression sizes. Does your DVR information show the compression sizes at various settings?

http://www.atvideo.com/

What DVR do you have, and what size hard drive. The competitor's DVR may have much larger hard disk space like a 500GB. There are other factors like whether they are outdoors or indoors, etc. Like allen said above they can record if there is noise in the image, and this can also occur indoors under low lighting with cheap cameras.

If its just a generic 9 channel DVR maybe its the AvTech model which is really not great motion recording. Also its probably a couple thousand $$ less than the ATV. Ofcourse that ATV model looks like a pretty generic design that you find rebadged out of asia ... so who knows ??

yeah, what size is your HDD?

say you are recording with only 4 cameras and other 5 were turned off (no accidental recording due to motion). If you are recording using 30pps (CIF)across 4ch (a typical MPEG2 4ch DVR), so that's about 7.5pps per channel, if you use a 250GB HDD and recording non stop (not motion trigger recording), it will normally give you recording time of more than 10 days.

10 days are "usually" more than enough for any evidentiary recording. Hardly no one report to authority after 10 days of incidents happened, they usually do it "immediately" or within a couple days.

Plus most DVRs now have overwrite function that allows you to overwrite the early data in your HDD when the capacity of your HDD is full. So basically, you got endless recording time.