vibe

can a camera be "stuck" in IR mode?

I just got a new cheap chinese camera - a model that I've tried years before and worked fine for me.

However this one has a strange problem - even in bright daylight, it seems to be "stuck" in black&white nighttime IR mode?

Tried a different port and cable, even swapping out with the working camera, same problem.

So anything else I can try or do I end up paying to ship it back?

The answer is yes but it depends what type of camera it is.

Is it a color IR, or a True Day Night (with IR Cut Filter)?

Now that I would have no clue, but whatever is the cheapest technique because this is a very low cost camera.

What lens does it have?

If its a varifocal eg. 4-8mm then it may have an IR cut filter, TDN.

If so that could be sticking.

Also if the IR is disconnected on some newer TDN IR cameras, it stays in Black and white.

if its a fixed lens like 3.6mm, its likely a Color IR only, with no IR cut filter at all.

Without getting too technical, this alone can cause the colors to be washed out during the day, so much under bright light that it could look BW if its a really crappy camera.

Ah, that last one is probably it.

3.6mm fixed and color without any IR filter

and that makes sense that sunlight would washout the color, I get it now because sunlight has full spectrum

So what is a better entry level camera I could look at that has both good color during the day and IR reception ability at night?

Basically a "poor person's" version of the VCM-24VF that is liked so much around here?

I actually do NOT want IR led on the camera if possible, I'd rather use external illumination.

Your top right capture by the way is very similar to the problem I am seeing, except even more washed out in IR, I guess.

Is there such a thing as a true day/night camera that is under $100?

Yes. I have a newer cnb that is stuck in b/w. Only a power reset will turn it back to color then whenever it gets dark again, it will not come out of b/w. CNB's quality has really gotten bad.