Karen Love

Bandwidth minimum?

Hello All - So I've been installing Stand alone network DVR's in the NY area and viewing video remotely without any problems. Recently installed same H.264 DVR in a rural area with a DSL from Frontier. After confirming the DVR, router (port forwarding) was all correct. I contacted the DVR manudfacturer and they determined the bandwidth is too low in the area. There was an option to stream at a much lower quality and it worked.

Fronteir says the bandwidth is 2.63, Is that bad? what is considered good?

Additional information

The upload speed is only 128kbps

I have found an upload speed of 512kbps on other ISPs have no problem streaming video.

So it looks like I have an answer...128kbps upload speed is NO GOOD. 512kbps is GOOD.

I don't know where the cut off point is though...probably somewhere in the middle.

Time Warner Roadrunner offers 512kbps upload speed (5mbps download) as basic service

Frontier offers 128kbps upload speed as basic service.

The "cut off point" will really depend on the DVR, what codec it uses, the level of compression set, framerate, resolution, etc. For some cases, even 512k won't be enough. Some DVRs have the ability to record at higher quality, and re-stream at lower quality for remote viewing, specifically to address low-bandwidth connections like this.

There was an option to stream at a much lower quality and it worked.

I guess This is your only option as of now. Can you convince your client to increase the bandwidth?

I think you can reduce the quality of image to get a better viewing from internet.

the are setup for quality levels: D1,HD1,CIF,HCIF.

the better quality requires high band-width

Yes, she had already mentioned that she did this.