iantao99

Need advise on security of network CCTV

Hi, planning to install network capable CCTV for my residence.

Was told can view onlone via some host portal by login with PIN access.

Just wondering how safe are these online host?

Can footage be intercepted or hacked?

How to ensure footage is secure?

Any advise apprecaited. tks!

Hi We need a little more info to give you some insight. Which cameras and video system (Brand and model(s) are you referring to? Usually a DVR is at the home, connected to all the cameras and you view the DVR online. There are systems now that do send the cameras video to a remote server for recording and viewing.

Hello, not sure if your still looking for an answer but.. The DVR make,model and cameras aren't really important in your question but really how those DVR's are being secured? Is it using active x, java,ssl etc? is your DVR going to be on the Local Network (internally accessed via wireless connection or hardwire) or remotely accessible?

Thks for responses.

Gonna buy CCTV setup, have not firm up which brand and model.

Have no idea whether dvr is with Active x, java or ssl.

My intention is to link cams in house with hardwire to 8 channel dvr. 2 dome cam, others hidden cam (motion sensor exterior type, Aesthetic reasons).

Dvr link to Internet for remote access outside house (eg. View from office).

pls advise ideal setup, make & model of devices, how to secure so that CCTV footage online.

Thks!

Hello again, while I will not recommend make/model. I can advise you to run rg59 and cat5 to all your cameras locations.

You might say now you are not interested in having a camera that uses cat5 (rs485, ptz, etc.) but. I speak to people everyday that have no rs485 run and they just bought a really nice camera and I can zoom in with my iPad from and guess what now you have to run a new cable and it could have been done already to begin with. It's also very nice in case you want to hook up a microphone later on. You can use that cat5 without having to say, no mic cause I have run more cable. cat5 is soo cheap too. I think I paid my last box $30 for 500ft, so it's worth it.

Thks!

Er... Bro, can speak in English?

Me no understand what rg59, Cat 5 is...

These are different cable types.

Typically, an analog camera will require a coaxial cable to stream the video from the camera. That's fat cable that if you cut it open has a copper core, surrounded by a thick plastic sheath which is covered in copper sheath then the insulation on the outside.

A digital camera uses Cat5/5e/6 which is cable with 4 twisted pairs of copper cable inside. This is the type of cable you use to plug your computer into a network.

You are able to run the video over Cat 5 cable via a little converter known as a balun. Most people do this these days as most premises are extensively networked with Cat 5 and not coax.

Hope this clears things up for you mate.

I hope your not leading this guy to believe he should use cat5 thats already ran throughout.. Very wise have a noob start stripping cat5 and connecting video baluns.

I can hear the tech call coming in now, Well at least you're keeping me employed

Run your own cable is my advice.

Thks for advise. I'm pretty low tech. No existing wires. Will take note to ask for cables to include audio.

Back to my query on security.

How secure is data with CCTV with online access?

How to secure it?

Thks!

Thks for advise. I'm pretty low tech. No existing wires. Will take note to ask for cables to include audio.

Back to my query on security.

How secure is data with CCTV with online access?

How to secure it?

Thks!

As far as I understand, you have DVR with 8 cameras at home and want secured way to see them through internet from your office for example. There are several ways to do that but it's important to know what kind of DVR you have? Is this Windows based one with the software and PCI plug-in cards or "black-box" with video inputs?

Basically, you need secured channel to your home DVR from "outside". If your DVR is Windows based (or Linux based one with root access) than best and easiest way is using Hamachi (LogMeIn) private VPN which is the easiest way to establish secured connection between your home DVR and outside world. Or some other solutions like OpenVPN, but if you have no experience in network it would be quite a task for you to configure and run. Although... it's not rocket science!

In any case, I advice you to spend some money and ask from professional network engineer to do it for you with explanations. Definitely, it can be done remotely with Skype and over some remote administration program like VNC. And no physical presence is needed.

Hi Dima,

Thks for your response.

The dvr I have in mind seems to be a black box with video inputs. Not windows based.

Was told by the cctv provider, that I will be provided with a certain website, which will serve to access my home router. At the website, key in dvr password to access CCTV footage.

Is this the normal online access for "black box" dvr?

Does this mean the website will have access to my dvr password (even though it appears as ***)?

How would you recommend to be more secure with online access?

Thks in advance!

This is really very depends on how such "access page" is build. Send me the link and I will check.

Basically, such web page should work as substitution to standalone software that is used to access DVR. But in order to make your life (as a customer) easier such "application" can be implemented as web-page with Flash, HTML5 or with ActiveX video player build-in into the web-page.

Definitely, such way accessing your DVR is less secured than standalone application. If you have no experience to detect, that your login and password can be intercepted, then the only way is trusting you DVR supplier and hope he is the "honest" one.

Hi Dima,

Thks for your response.

The dvr I have in mind seems to be a black box with video inputs. Not windows based.

Was told by the cctv provider, that I will be provided with a certain website, which will serve to access my home router. At the website, key in dvr password to access CCTV footage.

Is this the normal online access for "black box" dvr?

Does this mean the website will have access to my dvr password (even though it appears as ***)?

How would you recommend to be more secure with online access?

Thks in advance!

it does depend on what your cctv provider means. the dvr could have its own ddns server or he could just be setting you up with a ddns account both are secure. you could just get a static ip from your ISP (protected by your user name and password) you might be best putting a link up to the type of dvr you are thinking of buying.

it does depend on what your cctv provider means. the dvr could have its own ddns server or he could just be setting you up with a ddns account both are secure. you could just get a static ip from your ISP (protected by your user name and password) you might be best putting a link up to the type of dvr you are thinking of buying.

Agreed!

But such setup already requires common knowledge of networks and cannot be named as "totally idiot proof". Register DDNS account, configuring DVR with those parameters, configuring port forwarding or VPN to access the DVR... Is no for newbie. The one that can do it by himself is already experienced enough to discern, what is more and what is less secured way to access home services from "outside".

If I understand correctly from iantao99, the DVR he bought is the box, that only should be plugged into home network with internet access and that's it! The DVR will access main portal server and will provide access for the user through unique and simple interface. Such setup doesn't require any router configuration (port forwarding, firewall etc), it doesn't need any static IP or DDNS services... Simple and clear! But as we know, all simplicity always comes on account of something else... in our case this is security!

Dima

The most straightforward approach for high security might be to setup access through VPN on a router configured with it (I have set up access to my home this way, through a Netgear router running DD-WRT), plus DDNS resolution, if necessary (Dynamic IP from ISP).

The original poster needs to let us know more about the DVR he is using, and we can offer more suggestions from that point.

Hi guys, finally got some ans.

Below is my layman understanding of CCTV network setup;

The dvr uses PPPoE, DDNS for online access.

First, an account is created with a website where u can add host services that can be directed to ur home router ip address.

At the dvr, it is configured to recognise website.

After all the setup, to access dvr via online.

Go to host website, login with password to ur acct, access dvr.

What do u guys thing of the security of such online setups?

Acceptable?

Hi guys, finally got some ans.

Below is my layman understanding of CCTV network setup;

The dvr uses PPPoE, DDNS for online access.

First, an account is created with a website where u can add host services that can be directed to ur home router ip address.

At the dvr, it is configured to recognise website.

After all the setup, to access dvr via online.

Go to host website, login with password to ur acct, access dvr.

What do u guys thing of the security of such online setups?

Acceptable?

sounds like a 3rd party solution. i would not bother with that type of system. what is the monthly charge

No monthly charge.

The 8 channel network capable dvr, 6 dome cam, 520 tv lines with infra red (able to see in low lux), installation & configuration of network and iPhone viewing, they quoted me SGD $2300.

Is this a fair amt?

Any reason why u feel this 3rd party system is no good?

No monthly charge.

The 8 channel network capable dvr, 6 dome cam, 520 tv lines with infra red (able to see in low lux), installation & configuration of network and iPhone viewing, they quoted me SGD $2300.

Is this a fair amt?

Any reason why u feel this 3rd party system is no good?

Hi guys, any advise?

Thks!

Without the make of the DVR it will be impossible for anyone to give you a better opinion than they already have. YOU are paying for the DVR, I dont know what that is in US Dollars but it doesnt look like free. Ask them for the make of the DVR (the manufacturer, not their company name) and preferably the model number, then we will be able to check it out and let you know.

Ok. Got the following info.

Make & Model: Wizard ON-7208

H.264 Digital Video Recorder, 8 channel, network capable.

Understand it's from some Taiwan manufacturer.

Approx USD$1870 for 06 Cameras, 8 ch DVR, installation & network configuration.

Image of DVR in next post.

Edited by Guest

Ok. Got the following info.

Make & Model: Wizard ON-7208

H.264 Digital Video Recorder, 8 channel, network capable.

Understand it's from some Taiwan manufacturer.

Tried to attached image here but not sure how...

have you bought the system yet ???