gtxkid

Is there a service that can enhance photo

I always wonder if it is posible to enhance a fhoto or a car liecense plate.

I have gone down this road for a long time and always wonder if there is a service for this.

We have a firm on the books in case we need to have video enhancement. I'd be happy to forward the name of the company if you PM me.

The main thing that can be done is contrast changes. If the detail you want to enhance aren't in contrast

you could be barking up a gumtree. There are techniques, but forensic digital manipulation is way out of

the capability range of Joe Shmoe and is restricted to Police and government agencies.

Our friend is right, you are watching too much CSI and FBI files.

There is no good substitute for using the right equipment! All you end up with is a piece of questionable evidence and at huge expense.

Everytime you attempt to modify images, some information is lost everytime you compress images some information is lost, everytime you convert images some information is lost and everytime you attempt to modify a file, some information is lost.

IT can be done but there are so many factors to take into account if you are to end up with useable images, it would need a team of people making it uneconomic. Law enforcement doesn't concern itself with expense when a crime is serious.

Besides this, police don't just use CCTV for identification purposes. In one well known case the images were of little use for identity purposes, but they observed at the crime scene that an offender had placed his hand on a particular street lamp, Subsequent to that, police made a fingerprint sweep and were able to identify the individual in the footage through that route. Maybe I watch too much TV also

It depends on a few things.

If you have a picture (eg: a static image file) stored in a lossy compression format (jpeg, etc.) there is little to no enhancement you can do with that.

If you have a picture from a DSLR or higher-end camera that is stored in a lossless (eg: RAW) format, you can often coax some additional details from the image. I'm not aware of ANY security cameras that produce any kind of snapshot image that can be reasonably enhanced.

If you have a video clip (eg: a series of images), you can *sometimes* get a little bit of additional detail out of it. This is usually achieved for example when you have a license plate that appears across several frames, and portions of the plate are clearer in some frames vs. others. In that case a skilled person can sometimes composite a full license plate image from a series of stills from the video clip. You still cannot generally create detail that doesn't exist (it's unreasonable to expect to get a plate image from a video file that captures the plate with 10 pixels per foot on target, no matter how many frames you get.).

So, the summary is that for the most part "what you see is what you get".