Numb-nuts

Anyone offer any suggestions as to what's happening?

Can anyone suggest what may be happening or anything else to check?

I have an Xvision UK PTZ camera that just will not be controlled fully.

I have seen thsi camera work properly prior to install and after install

cannot get it to respond properly and fully. I have tried various protocol

and baud rate combinations, tried giving the camera different addresses

etc. If the settings are correspond at controller, or DVR and Camera,

I can only get it to pan and tilt very slowly, the picture is severely out

of focus and no matter what I do it will not respond to zoom commands.

I returned it to the manufacturer and they replaced the unit, but that has the same

faults identically so I checked every aspect of my install

Bothe te replacement and the original passed their boot up test and panned and tilted at lightening speed during the boot up.

I have run separate control cable, power cables and even coax on both units.

Finally I removed the unit from the housing and bench tested it making a separate

set of leads specially for the job. I have tried it with DVR only, with controller

only ann with both connected, it has not changed. It pans and tilts slowly but

refuses to focus or zoom either automatically or manually.

While bench testing it, I notice that the RS485 indicator LED flashed indicating that

signal had been received even when sending a zoom command, indicating to me that the

board is getting the signal and not interpreting it correctly. What could cause the software i

n the camera to corrupt of do you think there might be another problem?

This job has severely undermined my confidence in my own abilities, but i am sure it's the equipment

or could I be doing something that cases a fault? I am very gentle with the equipment I always wear

rubber soled shoes when handling electronic equipment.

Gentlemen, the floor is yours....

I think that more likely it would be the control termination; which is 100-120 ohms. Also, most RS422/485 PTZ protocols require 2400-9600 baud, with the port set to 8 bit, no parity and 1 stop bit.

I've also seen issues with flow control settings. Try Hardware first, then XON/XOFF, if available.

Can anyone suggest what may be happening or anything else to check?

I have an Xvision UK PTZ camera that just will not be controlled fully.

I have seen thsi camera work properly prior to install and after install

cannot get it to respond properly and fully. I have tried various protocol

and baud rate combinations, tried giving the camera different addresses

etc. If the settings are correspond at controller, or DVR and Camera,

I can only get it to pan and tilt very slowly, the picture is severely out

of focus and no matter what I do it will not respond to zoom commands.

I returned it to the manufacturer and they replaced the unit, but that has the same

faults identically so I checked every aspect of my install

Bothe te replacement and the original passed their boot up test and panned and tilted at lightening speed during the boot up.

I have run separate control cable, power cables and even coax on both units.

Finally I removed the unit from the housing and bench tested it making a separate

set of leads specially for the job. I have tried it with DVR only, with controller

only ann with both connected, it has not changed. It pans and tilts slowly but

refuses to focus or zoom either automatically or manually.

While bench testing it, I notice that the RS485 indicator LED flashed indicating that

signal had been received even when sending a zoom command, indicating to me that the

board is getting the signal and not interpreting it correctly. What could cause the software i

n the camera to corrupt of do you think there might be another problem?

This job has severely undermined my confidence in my own abilities, but i am sure it's the equipment

or could I be doing something that cases a fault? I am very gentle with the equipment I always wear

rubber soled shoes when handling electronic equipment.

Gentlemen, the floor is yours....

have you tried resetting the camera back to facory default, also what length of run between your power supply and camera? and lastly what is the power supply outputting to camera 24v ac or 12v dc and whats the camera voltage suppose to be?

Firstly I was trying without termination, and termination stops the camera control working completely.

I am not sure how I would do that on a DVR. I was advised by the manufacturer to leave termination off.

My DVR settings for PTZ control are set 8 bit, no parity and 1 stop bit, (whatever that means)

Do I really need termination on if I daisychain the controller, dvr and a single camera in that order?

The length of run is less than 60 feet and the PSU is 24 VAC. Voltage at the PSU is just over 27 VAC,

I omitted to measure the voltage at the point of delivery but I did take the PSU up the ladder to the

junction box without any difference. The PSU is the one that was supplied for this camera rated at 24 VAC.

I do remember on of the things I tried was reverting to the default setting via OSD menu and pin settings too.

Didn't make any difference ultimately. The technician at the company supporting me, said her thought it was the

camera software might be corrupted, but my question is how could that happen twice in a row?

Am I committing some cardinal sin?

What, exactly, are you daisy-chaining? If you are daisy-chaining the control signals between two controllers (the controller and the DVR are likely both controllers), that is a no-no. You can't connect a transmitter to a transmitter. You can daisy-chain multiple receivers (the PTZs).

And yes, for serial communication, the final receiver in the chain should be terminated. Most PTZs have a termination switch for the data line.

I had this exact same problem with symptoms, it was caused by double termination in the system. Why I said 75ohms in the previous reply, this was the setting choice on the Pelco Genex multiplexer for the Pelco Spectra III over coaxitron.

I would probably test by taking the DVR out of the equation and wiring the controller directly to the dome, while checking domes termination

I had this exact same problem with symptoms, it was caused by double termination in the system. Why I said 75ohms in the previous reply, this was the setting choice on the Pelco Genex multiplexer for the Pelco Spectra III over coaxitron.

I have tried with just the controller, just the dvr and both a=without any difference.

The manufacturer told me they bench tested this before sending it to me but I don't

believe them as it was in factory packed condition and completely unopened.

I am still convinced it is the camera software as was suggested. I had exactly the same

trouble with the first PTZ unit and they just replaced that after

soak testing it over the weekend.

So if I am using a single PTZ and a dvr and seperate controller, the dvr being in the middle,

where are you saying I should apply the termination the PTZ unit or the controller?

I originally thought I needed termination on both but NOT according to the manufacturer they say

I don't need any which doesn't make sense to me if you read the manual.

My reason for including the DVR in the setup is that although I will not use it to control the camera, I want to be able to do that remotely after ~I set up the web services.

what model is it. you will also need to list your current settings and what RS addaptor you are using. is it powered or un powered

17249791_80x80-1.jpg

I am using a straight 2 wire RS485 connection at all units connected

with a Cat5 cable no adaptors as I don't know about adaptors.

The model is a XSD27ZS and yes it looks exactly like the one in your picture

The manufacturer's support company Y3K told me not to include termination, but I have just read the manual again, and according to that the first and last device in any daisy-chain requires a 120 ? terminator. Both the camera and the keyboard have built in selectable termination.

Strange thing is, my original camera was bench tested and working before installation and no termination was applied as per advice from Y3k technical support. I have returned the item already so I will get to the bottom od this once I know what the problem is with the camera

I asked the tech support guy about termination and was told leave it off, I didn't question this and it worked fine, until I installed it.

I have used various protocols and baud rate combinations, without any change in performance. My preferred settings are Pelco P or D or PDC and either 4600 or 9600 bauds so nothing strange or unusual The run is only 60 feet or close to that, so the baud rates are adequate if the articles I was reading are correct.

Could not installing or using termination cause the camera software to corrupt? I would have thought it just wouldn't respond at all?

I am beginning to wonder if I should have gone with my instinct and applied the terminators?

I am sick now just thinking about it

"From the manual"

The general RS485 standard require a “daisy chain” connection between the equipment.

There must be termination resistors with 120 ? impedance at both ends of the connection.

(Refer to the following picture)

5757685441_d3e406c07d-1.jpg

UPDATE"

Finally today, I received the fourth camera (3 replacements) from Y3K the manufacturer of this camera.

It was tested before sending out to me and yes you guessed it, it had a fault. To be fair, it was a minor

fault but considering all I have been through with this camera, I was not prepared to accept anything less

than 100%. I have been offered either the very latest Infrared PTZ camera from the same manufacturer

or my money back.

What is the track record of these infrared PTZ with IR under the hood so to speak?

I don't know what I want to do just yet but what I will say is that everyone at Y3K and the reseller I bought

the unit from, did everything they could reasonably be expected to do, so I don't blame them at all. I think

this is a bad batch issue they have with this model and what they do about it is their own affair now, I have

had enough. I am weary with the whole episode. Fortunately, I am going away for a few days so I can clear

my head of this and think about it only when it suits me.

I haven't gotten angry with anyone, I have just felt really deflated and feel kind of deflated now because I now

have to deide all over again which PTZ to replace it with. I am thinking of the Inspire

Wow.

I've had a couple nightmares like this myself and 9 out of 10,

it's the dumbest little thing. Something that even crossed my

mind 3 hours before, but was checking out an employee and

lost all sense of........anyway.

In times like that it's best to have the P&T right at the controller,

in the SOC, equipment room, whatever.

Start from scratch, set everything to default, uninstall the software

re install it, etc.

Get 1 camera working at the controller so you're not up/down ladders,

etc. Then as you go introduce cable runs, additional cams, etc. Then

when something quits, go from there.

I didn't actually catch what the 2 cond was (18/2, cat?) usually if it's

a cable issue there's either no control, or the camera will actually do

stuff on it's own, which actually is kind of funny because it looks

posessed.

Go to Cabo, drink some rum or whatever.....you'll clear your head and

eventually at a beach somewhere, a restaurant, etc. all of a sudden

you'll think 'damn it's the jaberfribbitz, crap why didn't I think of that

before?'

Good Luck!

and

Good Trip!

Bunited2

I do rep for the 'Jaberfribbitz' line, I can get you guys a deal

on the new Jaberfribbitz1000 and the Jaberfribbitz1000Plus.

Bunited2