cglaeser

Outdoor NVR enclosure

Some homeowners want install cameras at a gate entrance. The entrance has a tall narrow brick structure that divides the in/out lanes, and it has a tiny roof. The structure has power and phone. Is it possible to install an NVR in an outdoor enclosure under the roof where it is shaded, and expect it to run reliably in the CA bay area? The space under the roof is about 12" deep, 24" wide, and 11" high, though the depth will accommodate more space with an overhang. For the NVR, I'm considering one of the Exacq embedded units. What enclosure would you recommend? Are vents sufficient, or is a fan required?

Best,

Christopher

I was hoping to use an Exacq NVR. Is there an NVR enclosure that is designed to work outdoors. It won't be in the "direct" elements because there is a roof, but it could get wet in a hard driving rain. The enclosure needs to hold the NVR, router, and 4 port PoE switch.

Best,

Christopher

I don't understand the logic of putting an NVR out where it is unattended and vulnerable to tampering? But, if you insist, you can use and watertight NEMA enclosure of proper size. Here's on ethat is too large for your needs, but it will give you an idea of what is available.

http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Great_Lakes_NEMA_12_Type_Enclosure.asp

Hell, if you want total watertight you can hack up a Pelican case.

http://www.pelican.com/case_category_mobile_military.php?CaseType=Mobile%20IT

I don't understand the logic of putting an NVR out where it is unattended and vulnerable to tampering?

I'm trying my best to keep is simple. Was trying to avoid a wireless link from the entrance gate to a house several lots down the road. Trees could be a problem with line of site. M Miller suggested VideoIQ with built-in hard drive. That makes more sense than outdoor enclosure. I will post the possible options and then we can pick them apart. Again, just trying to keep it simple. Don't want to overspend, but budget is a secondary consideration.

Best,

Christopher

I don't understand the logic of putting an NVR out where it is unattended and vulnerable to tampering?

I'm trying my best to keep is simple. Was trying to avoid a wireless link from the entrance gate to a house several lots down the road.

Understand. Since you said you have power and phone at the gates I'm still not following why you would not use the spare(s) pair on the phone line for balun for analog or network or IP cams? For security reasons alone I would do my best to avoid planting an NVR at the source you are trying to view. Plus, how are you or your customer going to monitor the video from these cams if they don't go back to the house? Strange.

Also, as you mentioned concerns about this running under CA heat, you will probably have overheating issues in a sealed box. Any ventilated box will be prone to attract dust and insects. Too many issues to cover.

I've put some self-built NVR's outside here in Fresno, CA, and had them work, but I wouldn't recommend it for the long term.

Take a look at DSL point to point extenders from Planet or Netsys-direct (they'll even work on a active phone line, if you only have one pair to the gate available).

Then put the cameras, one end of the DSL link, and a small PoE switch at the gate, and get the NVR and the other end of the DSL link inside, if you can.

********Edit********

Heat problems in Pleasanton? HA!!... You know what Fresno is like, don't you