rory

Extreme Reg-L

It works .. day and night, these are just some clips from today/night, i cut them so they dont show the whole car and the licence plate is partly mosaic, for security reasons .. well cause thats what everyone else does

The camera is truly an amazing design, they really spent alot of time on getting these to work the way they do ... nothing about it is a normal camera, I will explain another time but basically the glass on the front of the camera and the IR area, are tinted dark, as is the tinted lens .. the plates with SD in front are white plates with black writing, all the others are blue with yellow writing .. even the cars front headlights cannot stop the Reg from getting the licence plate (5th photo down).

135364_1.jpg

2.jpg

135364_1.jpg

37849_1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

not really, maybe some of them ... but they most have to slow down at the gate and show ID .. but the camera does do higher speeds though .. this is the REG-L though, designed more for the toll booths, etc, they have other REG cameras for the streets and dual lanes. Also this is just a regular PC DVR, not their REG-Alert system ... but you can still play back the plates ..

Hey, rory. Thanks for the pics. I have a few questions since were are looking at a couple of low/no light applications

Who carries these cameras in the US?

Are they way expensive?

Since it is a security booth, I am guessing there is at least some light here or is it completely dark?

The only IR camera we tried (yes, a cheap one) did great in minimal light, but in total darkness didn't do very well at all.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi, you can purchase them from any distributor.

These arent really infrared Cameras, they make those also, but this is specially designed for licence plate capture, nothing more.

there doesnt need to be any light, the infrared takes care of that at night, at this location at night it is too dark to get the plate with any other camera.

Yes, these guys are very expensive ..$2K plus ..

In case you guys were wondering ... T - truck, SD = Rental..

Rory

So what's 'M' rory ... massive truck?

ANPR systems are actually quite common over here, the biggest being the network of London Congestion Charge cameras (about 800 from memory).

The main problems we have are not connected with the technology, which is now proven at 90+% reliability. There are increasing numbers of vehicles driving around with "cloned" registration plates, and certainly in central London, a noticeable percentage of foreign plates which the software is simply not programmed to read.

Yeah, well we arent using the software, thats like $15K .... but the license plate camera itself captured every single plate at night that went past .. they say the software itself, is approx 94% precise ... thats where the problem may arise ... but still, its 100% better than any other camera I have seen, or any wide dynamic or any regular low light camera. Ofcourse it would have issues with motor bikes and messed up plates , nothing is 100% ...

Even with the Reg system I would asume that a few things could throw it off, such as car/plate not in camera's field of view. You end up with video of the side of the car. A problem especially on wide streets. A plate mounted to the car very high up or not in the "normal" spot. A DVR with too low frames per second causes gaps on a car moving fast. A car making a turn causes the plate to become out of focus, not to mention plate positining difficulties. (not good to mount such camera's on a street corner). A dvr with poor resolution, or low file size will still result in poor images too.

ofcourse ... but this is a security booth, they are always in the view of the camera.

For a security booth, no need to spend 2k on a cam. I have a $150 Sam w/ a filter(cuts the light coming in from background) in a $200 Pelco Housing. Have one installed coming in and going out. They get the plate every time.

Regular cameras, especially the sam doesnt compare. They had a company like yours previously install several cameras and they didnt do the job. They charged them an arm and a leg and nothing worked, so we got it to work, no questions asked, day and night, 24/7.

We do not sell/install items that "do not work". We are a reputable company. If it can't be done, we will tell you. That's where the other companies snake in. Then we charge double to clean up the mess.

didnt mean "you"

was a US company though.

Anyway, we also tried wide dynamic cameras, day night cameras, zoom cameras, you name it we tried it, extra lighting, etc, but nothing would work properly, day time was never a problem, but it was nightime where the issues were. They are a luxury gated community so they werent going to spend $2000 on installing a large lamp post. The camera works great and is virtually hidden.

These are at a security both that is in a 6 story garage (government). So the cam is attached to ceiling of the entrance, facing the sun. I always suggest to the customer to use/install the proper lighting-you can't beat proper lighting.

Trust me, if you need a licence plate camera, this is the one to buy. They have a ceiling mount wedge version also. We tried it the cheap way and it doesnt work well enough. Course in your parking garage, you have lighting 24/7 so its not as much of an issue, im talking outside on the road where there are no street lights.

You cant do it for $500, no camera you have would work in these places i am installing them, sorry.

Rory, very cool pictures and excellent video... Have you tried Panasonc CL-924 series for similar application? I know what you will say about Panasonic, but lets keep those "feeling" aside for a moment....

We have used Panasonic CL-924 in a similar applications. The most recent job that was done was in Vegas construction site. These cameras were installed to cover every entrance and exit in and out of the site. Lighing conditions were very bad at night and in some areas were pitch dark. With these cameras, we were are able to get similar results and actually were able to catch several contractors that were taking tools and materials in the middle of the night. The video pictures not only identified the vehicles used and their license plates, but actually who those people were...

On a different construction site, some contractors actually torch the place. When the investigations started, most of the hardware was damaged including the cameras, the cables and all the fiber and wireless equipment. GE DVR was actually so dirty from the smoke and debrees that we thought nothing can be retreived... Well, not only we were able to recover all the video, but also before these cameras were smoked, DVR captured extremely good video in a pitch dark environment showing several vehicles and their license plates and also who those criminals were... face details, clothing, etc..

In both cases, these cameras are placed an average of 1,000' to 5,000' apart from all the entry and exit locations.. For the lenses, we use hi powered Tokina lenses...

Results were exceptional and I wonder if the camera pricing for ExtremeCCTV Reg-L series are more expensive or less expensive compared to Panasonic CL-924 series...??

Levon

We tried every major camera, the previous company had some wide dynamic day night cameras there also, panos cant remember the model. See i get called in after they have tried everything else and it doesnt do the job they want it to do, thats most of my jobs now, special applications. So I bring in a products that are guarenteed to work for the application at hand.

If you want a camera that is guaranteed to work to capture only license plates, 24/7, this is the one, and its plug and play.

Also, for overview shots we have vandal domes wall mounted capturing every view you can think of They had some ugly Pelco housings we ripped them all down, looks so neat now and better images.

For a security booth, no need to spend 2k on a cam. I have a $150 Sam w/ a filter(cuts the light coming in from background) in a $200 Pelco Housing. Have one installed coming in and going out. They get the plate every time.

That sounds like a pricey housing, even for a Pelco. Let me ask you what shutter speed are you setting on that $150 camera?