I was GIVEN a $4000+ Sony SNC-RZ50N IP camera/wireless card & antenna, inside a UNIORS7C1W housing.

I want to set it up in ONE high spot inside our fabrication shop to be viewed at 1 peer-to-peer station.

Can a simple $40 24VAC 100VA transformer like this be used to power the housing which will then convert the current to 12VDC?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FUNCTIONAL-DEVICES-INC-RIB-Transformer-2ETD7

I was GIVEN a $4000+ Sony SNC-RZ50N IP camera/wireless card & antenna, inside a UNIORS7C1W housing.

I want to set it up in ONE high spot inside our fabrication shop to be viewed at 1 peer-to-peer station.

Can a simple $40 24VAC 100VA transformer like this be used to power the housing which will then convert the current to 12VDC?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FUNCTIONAL-DEVICES-INC-RIB-Transformer-2ETD7

it would be best just buying a regulated 12v 2amp power. give your camera protection.

The Sony housing has circuitry in it that's purpose is to transform the 24VAC to 12VDC for the camera.

I'm just wondering if this cheap transformer I show, is stable enough, voltage-wise, to give the housing what it needs to do its' job.

Keep it simple! I feel using a good 24vac transformer with a circuit breaker is the best way to go. The cam has the necessary rectification circuitry to handle 24vac, use it. Of course, you can use 12vdc as well. There is no right or wrong answer here, just personal preference.

Functional Devices makes some fine and convenient products, especially RIBs, which we have used in the past with great success.

You can buy a Honeywell or Bosch supply on ebay for $20-50 that has a 24VAC transformer enclosure fuses etc. I just picked up a 8 channel Honeywell HPTV2408UL new for $20 to power some of my cameras.

One of the advantages of 24VAC is that it is not going to wear out like a 12VDC supply, nor have as many components that can fail.