askfault

DS2rs (Digital Sprite 2 rs 80 gig model) Change PAL to NTSC.

Picked up a DS2rs (Digital Sprite 2 rs 80 gig model) and it appears to be in PAL format...

According to a guy I was about to purchase some cameras from, NTSC cameras won't work with this unit UNLESS it's changed to from PAL to NTSC.

Makes sense to me.

There is no setting option I'm aware of that will allow me to change this easily.

After yahoo'ing for a bit unsuccessfully I called Dedicated Micros.

I'm told by their tech that I can use a serial connection and hyperterminal in from a PC.

Right.

Did that without being able to connect.

Another tech mentioned that I'm going to have to use a serial null modem cable..

Did that and was able to connect successfully and the break in code works now.

I was given the following to correct the video setting:

Once connected to the unit the following commands were input via hyperterminal:

ESC ESC ESC then ENTER (for the break in code)

ESC m\status then ENTER (I'm told if vidstd is 0 that is pal and 1 is ntsc...status shows me vid status)

ESC m\vidstd\1 then ENTER (will change unit to ntsc)

ESC m\save then ENTER

reset (to reboot unit and that does it)

The dilemma I suppose is that after each command (which seems to yield not a thing) all I get is:

[sERIAL/DIRECT] CONNECTED TO PORT \\.\COM4 (19200-8N1)

*>

*>m\status

Not logged in

*>m\vidstd\1

Not logged in

*>m\save

Not logged in

*>reset

Not logged in

*>roll over

Not logged in

*>etc

This ringing any bells with you guys?

*shrugs*

[sERIAL/DIRECT] CONNECTED TO PORT \\.\COM4 (19200-8N1)

DMs will let you go though all settings but at the end will look like everything is done were infact they are not.

are you using the right breakcode ??? and do you have HyperTerminal settings right on your pc.

first is your code like this (last two numbers removed public forum) 6131xx

and your hyper settings need to be as, 19200baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control.

Thanks for the reply Tomcctv.

Seems after fiddling with it that if I held down camera 2 for shutdown instead of camera 1 I get sent to some debug mode perhaps?

Anyway, once it's hanging in bootloader I'm able to hyperterminal in and it puts me at what looks like a DOS prompt.

I'm able to access the harddrive which for me is a first by serial cable.

Seems though that all of this is not necessary according to Dedicated Micros tech guy.

The model I have DS2rs seems to have auto detect video standard during boot up.

So my problem is solved being that I received bad info from a camera guy..

Still learned more than I did before about the unit so I figure I'm still ahead of some folks, eh?

Thanks for the reply Tomcctv.

Seems after fiddling with it that if I held down camera 2 for shutdown instead of camera 1 I get sent to some debug mode perhaps?

Anyway, once it's hanging in bootloader I'm able to hyperterminal in and it puts me at what looks like a DOS prompt.

I'm able to access the harddrive which for me is a first by serial cable.

Seems though that all of this is not necessary according to Dedicated Micros tech guy.

The model I have DS2rs seems to have auto detect video standard during boot up.

So my problem is solved being that I received bad info from a camera guy..

Still learned more than I did before about the unit so I figure I'm still ahead of some folks, eh?

hi. your post was to change from PAL to NTSC. going into 2 is not going to let you change that. and if you alter anyting from button 2 then its going to start to cost. you cant get free software for a DM.

did you try the settings i gave you.

If the DVR is a Digital Sprite 2 model with a silver front and 3.1 (XXX) software the unit will auto-detect the video standard on power up. It looks at the cameras connected and makes a decision. Make sure you have a couple of cameras connected and decent video signals.