Sign in to follow this  
securitymonster

Non-Networkable Solution

Indeed you can,

there are several video servers for this specific purpose.

Some have 2 or 3 video inputs(rca) and also a couple of audio inputs,they dont need a pc to connect to as they have own o/s built in.

All you need is a connection to a router/modem,power , connect the video,(could be monitor out on dvr) and your good to go

so i can pretty much hook up any web server to the unit as long as there is a video out on the dvr ?

Can you setup a web server without a pc hooked up to it?

so i can pretty much hook up any web server to the unit as long as there is a video out on the dvr ?

Can you setup a web server without a pc hooked up to it?

and video in on the server, a pc is not required.

What would you recommend for a mobile application? So for somebody that would have wifi internet periodically and when they did they would want it to be broadcasting.

on the cheap. sit outside a hotel that offers wireless and surf for free while you eat a burger. on-the-go costs about $100 plus a month and in my opinion is not worth it. most places are offering "free" wireless anyway so make your plans/travel arrangements accordingly and you'll be ok.

Not sure what your after to be honest?

Firstly you mention a dvr , now its a mobile dvr?

Are the camera's mobile

If you want to stream video at various locations use a laptop with wifi as the server, input the video with a usb webcam or a usb capture card.

Its for a mobile application. The cameras and DVR are mounted on an RV, but periodically there is wifi internet. I would want to be able to broadcast the video signal over the internet. I'm just looking for the best option.

If your on the move you will have no static ip,im not sure how you will set up a server in this instance.

Wifi is normally (ad hoch) and using the ip of the isp at a specific location.

Thomas would be the man for this i suspect.

hi

look at http://www.acti.com mpeg4 server's ~$240 and new sound model not out yet 2 channel ,new ~$30 mpeg4 7108

chipset http://www.wischip.com/

is out so it is going to be simple to have it all a low cost product,mpeg4 ,sound,ide ,usb ethernet exelent for multi channel mobile dvr box,or home automation intercom 1gb-16gb flash card as mobile dvr memory,only if manufactures will impliment all chipset option , and not criple it , like most products on the market

(linksys router / nas network product line)

dusan

I can think of a couple of ways to do this but there isn't an elegant, simple solution.

1. Use No-IP.com/DynDNS or what ever service the wi-fi router wants to us for dynamic IP. Then log into the site and manually update the IP address. This is going to require a laptop.

2. Don't use wi-fi but something like a Star Band satillite connection. It's mountable on an RV and I belive can be used to get satillite TV as well. This is going to be expensive and the upload is going to suck.

I was going to have three, but I realized only option two will work for remote access. Any spot with wi-fi is going to have a router/switch and that generally implies a firewall. Even a bad firewall is going to not allow remote access. The only way to make that work is a push relationship between server and client. (I.E. The server sends the signal the IP address you tell it to, rather then the client requesting it from the server's IP address.) The only other way around it is to configure port forwarding at each location and I wouldn't bet the farm on them doing that for you.

hi

at the moment wifi and 3g is your best internet in usa

~$80 for 3g and wifi you make a deal with ho ever is bigest at the time more wifi spots

http://www.3gamericas.org/English/index.cfm

3g is growing fast in usa and faster in a rest of the world

satellite internet for upload is 1/2 of speed of good 56k modem dialup

and 1-2sec delay

http://www.mobileinternet.bz/

dusan

Actully I recommended Starband for a reason. You can get up to 256k upload from them. And with 3g's price per gig, that's insane.