nDAlk90

Help me! Recomendations for Front Door Security Camera

I attached the photo directly in case the link doesn't work. I will really appreciate your advice,

Thanks.

SUSPECT1.jpg.b7a1f7c81138382e98d265424e0de1ba.jpg

I think I could identify the guy if I saw him again, but only because he looked up.

1. TVL does not matter much. NTSC signal (how the video is transmitted), maxes out at 720x480, so any camera with TVL higher than 480 may be good, but it isn't necessarily better than a camera with exactly 480TVL. Any decent camera over $100 will work well for this close-quarters recording.

2. The camera needs to be lower, preferably at face level. It would be best for you to put it in the door (like a peephole). There are many places that sell great cameras for this.

3. What matters much more than TVL is getting a good recorder (DVR). I'm not good at that so others can chime in!

Thanks for the advice so far.

How about his camera?

[edit by mod-store link removed]

or

[edit by mod-store link removed]

The camera on the house I showed you is said to be a 3.6mm lens.

So if I mount it the camera a little lower I should be able to get a tighter shot.

1. Should I get the IR or Non-Ir Version? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

2. Are there better cameras available for a better price then what I found?

3. What kind of DVR do I need for 8 cameras?

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from others also.

If you can add 70-80 more USD, I would recommend this one:

Samsung-SCC-B5399HN-CCD-600TV-Lines-WDR-DOME-Heater

A much stronger casing, heather and fan, better resolution, better zoom, IP66, more tuneable software, etc.

Personally, I would add more light than go for IR. Identifying unfamiliar faces in a green blur isn't really that easy...

The camera needs to capture video that will prove without reasonable doubt that the person in the video is the person being tried.

Why?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this cam? What is the crime risk that you are anticipating?

The typical front door camera would capture very little crime footage, so even the sharpest picture isn't going to necessarily provide the evidence footage you think it will in a majority of cases.

The camera needs to capture video that will prove without reasonable doubt that the person in the video is the person being tried.

Why?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this cam? What is the crime risk that you are anticipating?

The typical front door camera would capture very little crime footage, so even the sharpest picture isn't going to necessarily provide the evidence footage you think it will in a majority of cases.

The front door camera I want to provide facial identification. I fewl my neighbors camera or DVR is not sufficient in quality. This is why I want your expert opinions.

1. How high would you mount the camera?

2. Is TVL beyond 480 really not worth it as mentioned by one of the posters?

Thanks.

Why?

The front door camera I want to provide facial identification. I fewl my neighbors camera or DVR is not sufficient in quality. This is why I want your expert opinions.

1. How high would you mount the camera?

2. Is TVL beyond 480 really not worth it as mentioned by one of the posters?

Thanks.

OK, but I think you are over-valuing the facial recognition part is all I was trying to say.

You might need more than 1 camera if you *really* want to cover all options. But I would mount at least 1 camera at about 5.5' high, looking slightly up at the point where a person would most likely stand on the porch.

And yes, the high TVL count cameras are mostly marketing gimmicks. Personally, I think that if you really think you need such high quality images an analog camera/DVR combo might not be the best option anyway...

Matt, Xellbuy gave me a call this morning and I recommended sticking with analog. It looks like you are recommending as well. I said SuperCircuits or Ebay would probably give him the best bang for the buck. I did not have a recommendation for a low-cost, good quality DVR. You have anything you would recommend? A Hik embedded unit or...? Hope all is well. Dave N / 3xLOGIC

Thanks for all the reply so far.

I will probably put this camera by my front door for face shots at about 5.5 feet high as recommended.

http://www.seco-larm.com/EV-5105-N1SQ.htm

I'm thinking to put a second camera for general observation by the front door (like my neighbor has in the picture). They only paid $45.00 for it and it is 520tvl Sony and it has better images when connected into a VCR which tells me her DVR is no good.

What are you recommending for a DVR? Any suggestions? I want high quality images.

Also I want to add a third camera for my driveway. Thinking of going with vcm-24vf. Do you know of any other cameras that are better for the price?

Thanks for everyone's help.