LOL this is the cabin we put in the 8-cam system and alarm system in. Not my place - but its really a beautiful place, big pond w/fish, tons of trails, etc!

Honestly I wish I could put in the identical CCTV system (and alarm system for that matter) in my house. It turned out so great!

Hi guys,

I have another question. I'm finding it very hard to get a wire to a PTZ camera I want so I'm wondering what type of zoom lens I need (is 10x too little)?

I'd be looking to see at an overall area but the PTZ camera would mostly stay at a location pointing at the gate.

The camera is 20ft of the ground, the gate is around 10ft wide & it's 36 metres away from the PTZ camera... would much light be required to get a good view at night?

Thanks!

Jack

I have another question. I'm finding it very hard to get a wire to a PTZ camera I want so I'm wondering what type of zoom lens I need (is 10x too little)?

a PTZ has a lens. you would still need to get a wire to it for the controls

Yes, however I am having troubles getting the wiring over to the original location therefore I have decided to move it closer to the DVR.

I know it has a lens but which type of zoom would I need for those dimensions away? (x10 optical zoom, x22)?

Thanks

Jack

Yes, however I am having troubles getting the wiring over to the original location therefore I have decided to move it closer to the DVR.

I know it has a lens but which type of zoom would I need for those dimensions away? (x10 optical zoom, x22)?

Thanks

Jack

either will do as 10x or 22x is the distance.

Thanks

Jack

either will do as 10x or 22x is the distance.

What distance would each of these go up to respectively?

The "zoom rating" on a PTZ refers only to the ratio between the shortest and longest focal lengths. 10X zoom could be 3-30mm, it could be 10-100mm, it could be 30-300mm.

BTW, be sure to determine whether the "zoom factor" you're looking at lists *optical* zoom specifically. Many PTZ cameras (cheap and expensive) extend the range by implementing digital zoom, which essentially means cropping the image electronically and then blowing up the cropped area to fill the screen, which doesn't give you any greater detail. It has its places, but the actual optical range is the only thing that really relates to image quality.

Hi there, thanks for your reply - appreciate it.

For this camera: http://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/informer-ptz-domes/informer-ptz-dome-cctv-camera-samsung-500tvl-mini-dome-100x-zoom-38-38-lens.html

would it get me the distance I need with a clear picture? and which type of lighting would I need at night?

that is not a true PTZ (classed as mini) not worth the money.

Of course it's a "true" PTZ - it has pan, tilt, and zoom functions and thus fits the definition.

However, tom IS correct that it's probably not worth the bother. At 36m on a 1/4" sensor, 38mm WILL give you about a 3m-wide field of view, but you likely won't get very good picture at night, and if you use it very much, there's a good chance the mechanicals will start having issues within the year.

Of course it's a "true" PTZ - it has pan, tilt, and zoom functions and thus fits the definition.

we dont class a ptz that you have to set the optical zoom by hand and only have digital zoom as the controlled. thats why we say there not true PTZs

the camera listed even says its 100x zoom (Informer PTZ -EXT Dome Sony ExView 570tvl CCD CCTV Camera 100X Zoom 10 X Optical )

a bit missleading when the company does not even know what its selling.

we dont class a ptz that you have to set the optical zoom by hand and only have digital zoom as the controlled. thats why we say there not true PTZs

Where does it say that?

The specs say "128 Presets with titles editable; pan/tilt, lens positions, and zoom adjustable" - bad Engrish not withstanding, that sounds to me like the zoom is remote-adjustable, especially in context of the bit listed below:

the camera listed even says its 100x zoom (Informer PTZ -EXT Dome Sony ExView 570tvl CCD CCTV Camera 100X Zoom 10 X Optical )

The specs below say "Built-In Samsung Module 100x Zoom (10 x Optical, 10 x Digital)" - seems pretty clear to me.