Hi,

Can any one suggest a good encoder to convert 6 analogue cameras to digital for me?

i have tried to search the forum with no joy and don't really know what i am looking for if i just google it.

The supplier that i use for my cameras do not sell such a thing.

Sorry i know this is basic but i am still a major novice!

Hi,

Can any one suggest a good encoder to convert 6 analogue cameras to digital for me?

i have tried to search the forum with no joy and don't really know what i am looking for if i just google it.

The supplier that i use for my cameras do not sell such a thing.

Sorry i know this is basic but i am still a major novice!

hi. are you changing from a DVR to a NVR or hybrid unit. using encoders for a lot of cameras seem like a wast of money. they dont come cheap.

Hi Tom,

I agree, it probably is a waste of time and money but the Club wants a price as they already have a 6 camera set up in place....

So it will be going from a DVR to NVR.

Hi Tom,

I agree, it probably is a waste of time and money but the Club wants a price as they already have a 6 camera set up in place....

So it will be going from a DVR to NVR.

the problem is that they get no benifit from using encoders. they will just get the same image as they have.

But can software like Luxriot not then be used?

Or is there litterally no point in doing it....

yes it can if you get a combatable encoder. but it will not improve the images. they will just be the same as you have now.

its ok if you are doing an upgrade on a system were ip are being added with existing old cameras . then you would use encoders or use a hybrid. but just to change analoge to digital has no benifit

I wouldn't say NO benefit - depends on the DVR or software currently being used, and whether you have a particular NVR package you really like; there may be an improvement in features or functions. And it does provide a future upgrade path to start adding MP cameras later - could be a good move now if, say, the existing DVR had failed and needs to be replaced anyway: you're basically looking at moving the capture hardware outboard (encoder instead of DVR card).

But as tom says, there will be no immediate improvement in image quality just by switching to IP encoders for the existing analog cameras. The resolution is still limited by the cameras themselves.

Ok, that all makes sense.

If they still want to go ahead with juist the encoder so future cams can be added etc...

an you suggest a good one for me or point me in the direction pls.

Actually, this is an increasingly common solution to bridge the gap from D1 analog to MP IP. The Axis encoders are a bit pricey at $1,000 for four ports plus four IP licenses, but the Avigilon encoders are less than half that and only use one IP license.

Regarding the potential for image improvement, Avigilon uses lossless JPEG2000 with wider dynamic range than JPEG. I have not seen images to compare, but others have reported some improvement in forensic information.

By using video encoders, it's possible to switch a large existing install from DVR to NVR fairly quickly, and then begin replacing multiple low res analog cameras with a fewer number of high res cameras as time and budget permits.

Best,

Christopher

We use Luxriot as our Software on our NVR's. My work college states that you can get a encoder card that would go direct into the NVR and then the analogue cameras go direct into that card, so bypass the old DVR. I thought you had to use a seperate encoder... but assume I am wrong?

My work college states that you can get a encoder card

hi. that is called a hybrid. still no point in doing that if the current DVR is working. unless you intend to add ip at a later date.

is your customer just looking at viewing his current system over the internet ???

My work college states that you can get a encoder card

hi. that is called a hybrid. still no point in doing that if the current DVR is working. unless you intend to add ip at a later date.

is your customer just looking at viewing his current system over the internet ???

Basically yes, remote viewing, not VHS tapes! and adding future cams to the system...

hi. then all as you need to do is change to a DVR. no encoders needed. take a look at the new dahua DVRs they are all hybrid now for adding cameras at a later date.

you can view the system from any operating system and any mobile iphone and android. plus alot cheaper than buying 8 encoders.