cglaeser

Port Forward Scheme to access cameras

When accessing cameras from the WAN, do you have a scheme or methodology for associating ports with individual cameras?

Best,

Christopher

The camera doesnt have a port, the DVR does.

It depends on which DVR is being used.

I think he is referring to IP cameras.

Right. In the past year or so someone posted a method for assigning ports to cameras. There was a method to the madness, but I don't recall the details. My NVR is on port 80 for web access and port 22609 for a remote client. I'm testing the iOS app IP Camera Viewer, and want to connect to the cameras directly.

Best,

Christopher

Perhaps but wrong forum for it.

Networking is the wrong forum to ask about accessing cameras via the network?

Best,

Christopher

Networking is the wrong forum to ask about accessing cameras via the network?

Best,

Christopher

Anything to do with IP cameras or servers go in the IP camera and server sub forum.

Or at least please specify in the title that it is IP cameras.

Otherwise the moderator will move it without notice.

Anything to do with IP cameras or servers go in the IP camera and server sub forum.

Or at least please specify in the title that it is IP cameras.

Where do discussions about routers go?

Best,

Christopher

There was this topic, but you may have seen already

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23165

I change the camera to 192.168.1.57:10057, then forward 10057 on the router to 192.168.1.57.

I think the point was you could just forward 10057 on the router to 192.168.1.57:80, and not assign the camera a different port number at the camera if I understood correctly.

The other thing I'd like to know is what do you do when you run out of ports that can be forwarded? My Linksys WRT only has so many.

Made it a sticky.

Should have 255 ports right, minus the 1 for the router?

There was this topic, but you may have seen already

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23165

Yes, thanks, that was the thread. Ideally, I would prefer to access the cameras through the NVR, but in the case of Avigilon, the pricing of the iOS gateway may be quite expensive, in which case, using a third-party app like IP Camera Viewer may be a more practical alternative for the home install.

Best,

Christopher

I change the camera to 192.168.1.57:10057, then forward 10057 on the router to 192.168.1.57.

I think the point was you could just forward 10057 on the router to 192.168.1.57:80, and not assign the camera a different port number at the camera if I understood correctly.

I would like to forward port 10057 on the router to 192.168.1.57:80 as described above, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm using a Netgear FVS328, but I think the options are similar to many of the Netgear routers. I know how to forward 10057 to 192.168.1.57:10057, but not 192.168.1.57:80. Does anyone know how this is done?

Best,

Christopher

Think it is called port triggering on Netgear routers

Thanks. I don't think that feature is supported in the Netgear model I have.

Best,

Christopher

If you want to access your cameras from outside your internal network, then you will have to assign a port to each camera

So if you have 4 cameras with internal IP's and all on port 80 like below

Camera 1 - 10.0.0.1:80

Camera 2 - 10.0.0.2:80

Camera 3 - 10.0.0.3:80

Camera 4 - 10.0.0.4:80

Then your port forwarding needs to be configured as follows

121.91.38.75:10057 -> 10.0.0.1:80

121.91.38.75:10058 -> 10.0.0.2:80

etc

I currently have a Netgear WPN824 here, here's a screen shot of what it should look like

portforwarddth-1.png

EDIT - Stupid sql db's breaking!

I currently have a Netgear WPN824 here, here's a screen shot of what it should look like

portforwarddth-1.png

I thought Starting Port and Ending Port was a range. Here is the documentation for my router ...

Start Port

If a port range is required, enter the beginning of the range here, and the end of the range in the "Finish Port" field.

If a single port is required, enter the same value in both the "Start" and "Finish" fields.

Finish Port

This field can be used to enter the end of the range of port numbers.

If a single port is required, enter the same value in both the "Start" and "Finish" fields.

Best,

Christopher

Ugh, you're correct. I was trying to do it quickly

Sub 80 for 10057 so you have as single port range and then do it how ever many times you have cameras

You'll still need to assign a port to each camera to access them individually.

EDIT

A better way to explain this would be like the postal distribution in a large company. Your router is the mail guy. 128.45.32.77 is your public IP and therefore your address of the building but your port number is the person in the company who you're addressing. (kinda)

Think of your cameras as being workers within the company. So the port is the name of the internal device which you want to access, otherwise your router (mail guy) doesn't know who to give it to. Does this make sense?

A better way to explain this would be like the postal distribution in a large company.

I understand exactly what I want to do. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I don't think these analogies are needed. Have you successfully mapped an external port on the WAN (e.g. www.domain.com:10057) to a different internal port on the LAN (e.g. 192.168.0.57:80) using a Netgear router?

According the documentation on my Netgear FVS328 router, the Start Port and Finish Port are used to specify a range of ports to be forwarded, and are not used to specify a mapping of one port to another port.

Has anyone successfully mapped one port to another port in a router? If so, what router did you use?

Best,

Christopher

You peaked my interest so I jumped into my D-Link Dir-655 and made it happen. Forwarding port 50010 to port 80 internally was easy as pie. In the D-Link you need to use the Virtual Server under Advanced. Literally took 20 seconds to do plus the router reboot time. This was to a Sanyo HD3300.

VirtualServer.JPG.df3383312ec5d6beca928dc942b4e7d9.JPG

In the D-Link you need to use the Virtual Server under Advanced.

Thanks! That's good to know. My Netgear FVS328 is a number of years old. I have a WNDR3700, but I use that as an access point, not the router. I'll check the WNDR3700 user guide and see if I can find a feature similar to the D-Link Virtual Server. May just need to upgrade my router.

Best,

Christopher

In the D-Link you need to use the Virtual Server under Advanced.

I did a quick search on the Netgear forums. As best I can tell, Virtual Server is a common feature on some brands of routers, but is not directly supported on Netgear routers. Someone commented that UPnP provides limited Virtual Server functionality, but did not explain the limits.

Best,

Christopher

So I guess changing the port on your cameras is not an option? That's what I had done for mine. I just changed it back to test it for you.

So I guess changing the port on your cameras is not an option?

Good question. My goal is to find affordable alternatives to the Avigilon Gateway for viewing cameras on an iPhone that I can recommend to others. I downloaded IP Camera Viewer for $2.99 and it works well on my LAN, so next I wanted to test it on my WAN. The IP port mapping solution in the router is not as ubiquitous as I had hoped. Changing ports on cameras is an option, but I don't know if that's doable across camera manufacturers, and even if it works, the solution is a bit more tedious.

There are some third-party router firmware upgrades that support this feature. Netgear needs to get with the program and support this feature directly.

Best,

Christopher

So I guess changing the port on your cameras is not an option?

Good question. My goal is to find affordable alternatives to the Avigilon Gateway for viewing cameras on an iPhone that I can recommend to others. I downloaded IP Camera Viewer for $2.99 and it works well on my LAN, so next I wanted to test it on my WAN. The IP port mapping solution in the router is not as ubiquitous as I had hoped. Changing ports on cameras is an option, but I don't know if that's doable across camera manufacturers, and even if it works, the solution is a bit more tedious.

You could also check out this method if you can figure out the path for the camera

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23345

This site has good info

http://skjm.com/icam/mjpeg.php