Diabolix

CCTV through 3G

Hi,

I am planning to setup a IP camera on a remote site, which will use a 3G connection to send footage back to the office,but there is a few things I would like to know before I get started.

I did some research, and I will be using the H.264 compression method to keep the bandwidth to a minimum. What resolution and FPS will be sufficient to supply me with a good view-able picture. The only motion will probably be some birds and if someone wants to steel the equipment . I was also thinking about making a onsite storage system, so that the camera can record on the site and only stream footage when I log into the cameras web interface (Due to 3G costs). What do you guys think will be the best possible solution ?

Power will probably be coming from a solar panel.

Thanx in advance.

Regards

Sounds reasonable - there are a number of IP cameras with on-board storage that will simply write to internal SD card or even HDD. Minimizing equipment count this way (vs. external recording) will help keep power requirements down. If there's a concern about the camera itself being stolen, you could also look into any of a number of low-power mobile DVRs or NVRs (which can be powered off 12VDC, which is what your solar system likely provides), or a very basic NAS (something that can use SSD or laptop drives, again to keep power requirements down, although most of these will need 120/240VAC, so you lose a little power stepping the voltage up).

Naturally, you'll need to have some sort of battery backup or alternate power source, to keep things running when there's no sun...

You might (or might not) find this document that I wrote to be helpful:

http://support.videoiq.com/docs/MobileBroadband.pdf

Note that since I wrote it, it is geared towards our cameras specifically, but most of the concepts are generic to 3G/4G connections.

Using h.264 you should be able to get a 2.1 Megapixel 10fps image stream in about 3Mbps of bandwidth, which you probably WON'T get as an upstream on a 3G or 4G connection. Your best option is to record locally and export/copy interesting video out when needed. Use a lower res stream for basic viewing.