webdweeb

Mac-based Surveillance System Questions

I am a new forum user but have been researching camera security systems on and off for a few years (more toward the recent past). In that time, I have acquired the following equipment:

2 Sony SSC-CD73v cameras

2 Sony SSC-CD77 cameras

1 Axis 241q video server

1 Mac Mini Intel Core2Duo 2.4 GHz with 500GB HD (which would run Security Spy as the primary camera monitoring app, not yet purchased)

None of the equipment has been installed, mainly because I plan to do the install myself, and that task has not been at the top of my honey do list until now. I am also not looking forward to installing Siamese cabling to the cameras in a house with cathedral ceilings and a slab foundation.

I think this setup will work for my existing needs, but I have been contemplating adding a few more cameras, which led me to considering a stand-alone DVR instead of the Axis/Mac Mini combo. However, there seem to be very few DVRs with Mac clients or compatibility with Mac browsers (ie, no ActiveX), and I haven't found any yet with a Mac-based management software app-the best seem to be an emulated app running in a virtual Windows environment on the Mac, but I have seen no native Mac OSX management apps. Before I abandon that option and add another Axis 241q and cameras (and the Security Spy SW to manage it all), I wanted to ask the forum experts if there were any viable DVR options that would be competitive with the Axis/Mac combo. TIA for any thoughts or comments

from what you have listed that seems alot of money. if you are just going to use security spy software why not just use some 1.3mp axis cameras. ??

the Axis 241q video server is not supported by security spy,

you could save alot of money by using the dahua hybrid dvr (mac control)

from what you have listed that seems alot of money. if you are just going to use security spy software why not just use some 1.3mp axis cameras. ??

the Axis 241q video server is not supported by security spy,

you could save alot of money by using the dahua hybrid dvr (mac control)

Thanks for the quick reply, tomcctv. Actually, the Axis IS supported by Security Spy-it is called out specifically in their compatible hardware list (see link below):

http://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/installationmanual/networkvideoservers.html

The resale value of these items versus what I might be able to get (especially for the DVR/server portion) is what motivated me to take a harder look at standalone DVRs-a computer-based system offers more flexibility, but I don't see myself taking full advantage of that flexibility for my use (residential surveillance of a house on a small city lot). Can you elaborate on the Mac control aspect of the Dahua hybrid DVR, including any specific model numbers I should consider?

Actually, the Axis IS supported by Security Spy

with exceptions (Third-party firmware is available which allows this to function as a four-camera server.)

security spy is very limited the cost of all the cameras and server you have listed alone is going to be limited by the software

are you thinking of building these systems for resale ??? why are you looking at mac ??

This system is for my personal use at my residence-I'm not in the surveillance systems business, so you have probably forgotten more than I currently know about surveillance systems. I have an all-Mac LAN and have been a Mac user for some time now (since the Mac Plus of the 80s), so I'd like to keep it in the family, so to speak. My office computer is also a Mac, so if I want to monitor the cameras remotely, I need a Mac-compatible setup. It may not be achievable with a DVR, but my neighbor currently is using the 241q and 4 Sony analog cameras with his Mac Pro (with Security Spy-he is where I heard about the software some time ago), so I know that it is feasible-I can even see my own house with his cameras using a web link he sent me that I view on my Macs at home and at work.

The one "must have" is for remote viewing with a Mac browser-I might be able to live with a PC-based DVR (using Bootcamp or VMWare to manage it), but a system without Mac-compatible browser capability is a non-starter for me. I think I read that Dahua is the OEM manufacturer for Q-See and a few others-is that correct? There is a Q-see DVR bundle I saw on the Costco website (has the QT528 DVR, which is apparently Mac compatible with a WINE-based app they recently developed), but I have read mixed things about the DVR and Q-See in general and would like a few more options before I make a decision.

The current resale value of the Mini and the Axis (which are both brand new) gives me about $1000 to play with relative to a DVR option-I just need to find the right DVR that has the features I need. The cameras are not MP resolution but seem to be well regarded for their reliability, plus I got a great deal on them (much less than retail), so right now it is not cost effective for me to switch to a network camera approach from scratch-I will probably consider network cameras for the future, which makes your hybrid suggestion all the more relevant.

Dahua DVRs have support for:

Windows XP/7 (PSS Desktop Software)

IE (ActiveX) (IE9 not supported yet)

FireFox/Chrome (w/ IE plugin)

Linux - Suse and Ubuntu (PSS Desktop Software)

Mac - OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0 (PSS Desktop Software)

Mobile - iPad, iPhone, iPod, Android, Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Mobile (DMSS Mobile app)

Keyboard - network keyboard control

it is just the price of everything 4 cameras and a server from axis (just to get your cameras to work with security spy) seems a total waste of money.

keep the cameras you have listed and the money spent on the server buy a dahua (and have change)

the dahua DVR will be the replacement for the server and the cost of the security spy software and licence.

you can control the dahua dvr from any mac (and i bet you have an iphone) as well ... and much better usage on your network

Rory, thanks for the info-are all Dahua DVRs Mac-compatible, or only certain models, and if so, which ones? The PSS software at the link in your sig looks similar to a PSS package link sent to me by the Q-See TS folks-are they the same software? I think I read here (probably one of your postings) that Q-See DVRs are rebadged Dahua, but that they only sell the entry level models. If that is true, are there US vendors that sell other Dahua models (rebadged or otherwise)? I'm downloading the PSS 4.04 software and will play with it a bit to see how it looks and feels-thanks for the link.

Tomcctv, I don't disagree with your assessment-I am open to switching to something else as soon as I am satisfied that it will be at least as good as what I now have (and will give me the compatibility I desire). The Dahua DVRs sound promising-now I need to find a US source and pricing for their line, since they don't appear to be sold under their manufacturer's name in the US.

Tomcctv, I don't disagree with your assessment-I am open to switching to something else as soon as I am satisfied that it will be at least as good as what I now have (and will give me the compatibility I desire). The Dahua DVRs sound promising-now I need to find a US source and pricing for their line, since they don't appear to be sold under their manufacturer's name in the US.

the NEW american name for dahua is qvis. i have the new catalog here with 4 brand new modles from dahua. comming out this month.

with the cameras you have listed then i would look at the new DVR0404HF-S-E

Interesting software-the PCC software runs under X11 (an X Windows environment), so it's not technically Mac native, but it seems to work okay on my Macbook Pro (of course, I don't have anything setup to test it yet). The app seems to be pretty capable, from looking at the options and settings buttons, so if I can get remote viewing using a Firefox plugin for my remote Macs, I think the Dahua is a very viable option for me.

Rory, thanks for the info-are all Dahua DVRs Mac-compatible, or only certain models, and if so, which ones? The PSS software at the link in your sig looks similar to a PSS package link sent to me by the Q-See TS folks-are they the same software? I think I read here (probably one of your postings) that Q-See DVRs are rebadged Dahua, but that they only sell the entry level models. If that is true, are there US vendors that sell other Dahua models (rebadged or otherwise)? I'm downloading the PSS 4.04 software and will play with it a bit to see how it looks and feels-thanks for the link.

Dahua DVRs are sold under various names in the US. In Miami alone they are rebadged by dozens of companies who bring them in direct from China, most reselling to Latin America. Q-See is one of the companies that import them, Mace, Edge, XTS, Qvis mentioned by Tom, mostly are distributors, Intellicam USA (GenIV) also, and a few online stores sell them under their own store names. They are visibly noticeable for their look but also for the PSS software as well as the HDMI output in the case of the non entry level models. You can skin the PSS for Windows (see my site for info on that) to put your own logo and much more, which most of those companies do (havent tried it with the MAC or Linux packages). AS long as PSS works on the MAC in question then you will be able to connect to any Dahua DVR (and some Dahua IP cameras).

Interesting software-the PCC software runs under X11 (an X Windows environment), so it's not technically Mac native, but it seems to work okay on my Macbook Pro (of course, I don't have anything setup to test it yet). The app seems to be pretty capable, from looking at the options and settings buttons, so if I can get remote viewing using a Firefox plugin for my remote Macs, I think the Dahua is a very viable option for me.

the NEW american name for dahua is qvis.

Tom that is not correct, they are one of many distributors that import the DVRs from China. In fact if one is to contact Dahua and ask them where to buy their DVRs in the US, Dahua recommends MACE.

the NEW american name for dahua is qvis.

Tom that is not correct, they are one of many distributors that import the DVRs from China. In fact if one is to contact Dahua and ask them where to buy their DVRs in the US, Dahua recommends MACE.

qvis main company adata have been the longest running distributor of dahua (dahua used to be called deltawave in the 90s) so qvis will have the newer dvrs well before anyone else. we have the new ones now at qvis uk.

qvis main company adata have been the longest running distributor of dahua (dahua used to be called deltawave in the 90s) so qvis will have the newer dvrs well before anyone else. we have the new ones now at qvis uk.

They have all the same DVRs the Miami distributors carry.

Hmmm.it seems like I need a "Rosetta Stone" cross reference chart that shows the Dahua models against the models offered by the various US distributors so I know what I am looking at. Of the vendors mentioned, I have not found one that has a DVR that looks like the one Tom mentioned-any idea who might have one of them for sale?

Which one are you looking for?

LE-AS/AN 4 - 1U 1HDD (photo)

LE-AS 8/16 - 1U 1HDD (photo)

LE-A 4/8/16 - 1U 1HDD (photo)

LE-SL 16 - 1.5U 2HDD (photo)

LE-L 4/8/16 - 1.5U 4HDD (photo)

LE-S 4/8/16 - 2U 4HDD (photo)

LE-U 4/8/16 - 2U 8HDD (photo)

LE-U 32 - 2U 8HDD (photo)

HE-S 4/8/16 - 1.5U 4HDD Full D1 (photo)

HE-T 4/8/16 -2U 8HDD Full D1 (photo)

HE-AS/AN 4 - 1U 1HDD Full D1 (photo)

HF-AL 4/8/16 - 1.5U 2HDD Full D1 (photo)

HF-A 4/8/16 - 1U 2HDD Full D1 (photo)

HF-L 4/8/16 - 1.5U 4HDD Full D1 (photo)

HF-S 4/8/16 - 2U 8HDD Full D1 (photo)

HE-T-4H 4/8/16 - 2U 8HDD Full D1 (photo)

I think the one Tom suggested is the HF-S, although I haven't spent much time reading the specs (which I will be doing as soon as I type this reply). I would probably get an 8 channel for future growth, which is a limitation of my current setup. Rory or Tom, do you happen to know the Dahua model that corresponds to the Q-See QT528?

1.5U, 2xHDD, NO HDMI, FULL D1 (30fps D1 every channel), 4 Audio Inputs ....

Cant find any model that corresponds to that.

Edit - thats not a Dahua model

Looks like the main difference between the HF-S, HF-L and HF-A models is the form factor and the number of HDDs it can accommodate-is that correct? If so, I would probably be fine with the -A model, since even 2 HDDs is plenty. It is not clear if the HDD capacity is internal or external, but given the size difference, I am assuming that they are talking about internal HDDs. Are these available without HDDs? Storage is so cheap these days that it probably makes more sense to get a non-HD model and buy and install the HDs myself.

Generally they are sold with no HDDs, unless you buy it from some online stores or consumer brands like Q-See. None of the DVRs I ever buy come with HDDs (except back in the day when I used GE Kalatel DVRs), most manufacturers do not sell them with HDDs. The HDD capacity is internal.

I also thought of using my mac mini for this, but ultimately have moved everything onto an I7 and use chicken of the VNC to have the windows machine show up on my macbook.

I would recommend also going IP with 1.3MP cameras. Depends how much surveillance vs. occasionally looking for the odd event - if the latter consider that Axis and some other cameras allow recording to a SD card.