larrymilla

Connecting Cameras 150m distant Apart

Hi Guys,

Please I need your view on this issue:

I'm invited to be part of the design of a CCTV systems for an Hotel facility that have a very large area, well-fenced with the building centrally placed in the middle. We need about 7 cameras to watch the perimeter but will have to be about 140-160 meters apart and about 100-140m from the control room.

It all must be IP cams and NVR

How best do you think we can achieve this?

Your kind advice will be appreciated.

build a small network with a a few switches within 100m of each other, and 100m of each camera.

For the switches spread throughout the facility, get a din-rail mount 4 or 8 port switch and put it in an enclosure, and route all the ethernet cables to it. You can mount a power supply next to each can as required.

Fiber is your next best option.

If none of those will work for you, you could try using Veracity Highwire Outreach line of PoE ethernet extenders (this requires a PoE switch). I've never personally used these, so I can't vouch for them.

Are there any buildings or structures located between the central building and the cameras?

I don't think fibre to each camera is a cost feasible solution here.

MS Paint us the layout and that will give us a better idea of how to design this for you.

I've used the multiple-switches setup in a large warehouse before, it works fine. Fiber will probably be cost-prohibitive. There are plenty of other types of ethernet extenders out there, using both Cat5e/UTP and coax to achieve upwards of 1200m; most of them don't require PoE. Some examples here: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I've used the multiple-switches setup in a large warehouse before, it works fine. Fiber will probably be cost-prohibitive. There are plenty of other types of ethernet extenders out there, using both Cat5e/UTP and coax to achieve upwards of 1200m; most of them don't require PoE. Some examples here: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

The PoE is nice because it doesn't require an external power supply. If you place the ones you linked at the camera with local power and at the head end with coax in between, they'll work just as good.

While fiber definitely adds cost, it isn't as expensive as it used to be.

I do all fiber fusion splicing and terminations here, and I can tell you it's the terminations that cost the most. Since you are using IP cameras, you could use media converters at the cameras and back wherever the fiber runs to, then just use patch cables to your switch.

Now, having a professional come do the fiber work for you, that's where it can become prohibitively expensive.

Going with the coax ethernet extenders is what I would probably do, with some sort of good quality lightning/surge suppression for each camera. Lightning can do very very very bad things if it manages to chase back up the copper.

Lightning can do very very very bad things if it manages to chase back up the copper.

We typically use fiber for any outdoor camera for this very reason.

http://panasonic.net/pss/security/products/hd/clc00.html

Key Features

PoE (Power over Ethernet) ready

The coaxial - LAN converter is compliant with PoE standards (IEEE

802.3af), and contains a power supplying device. PoE can be used to

supply power to Panasonic network cameras, which eliminates the

need for installing power outlets for the cameras.

Use over long distances

The coaxial - LAN converter can be used for distances of up to 500 m

(1,640 feet 5 inches)*1 for PoE connections, and 2 km (6,561 feet 8 inches)

for non-PoE connections. (When used with RG-6/U coaxial cable.)

High-speed transmission

The coaxial - LAN converter is capable of transmission speeds of 35 Mbps or

over for TCP*2, and 45 Mbps or over for UDP connections. (When used with

RG-6/U coaxial cable, and for distances under 2 km [6,561 feet 8 inches].)

No setup required

Connections can be established by simply connecting the coaxial

cable to the coaxial - LAN converter.