Sign in to follow this  
rory

How to modulate to a channel over Digital Cable?

I have a client that has an RF modulator (channel vision or channel plus cant remember its been years), goes out to a filter for channel range and using channel 72 in this case, and a splitter for the cable and the modulated input. Worked fine for the past 10 years, but now they installed Digital cable boxes and complain HD channels are missing. Also they will be switching the entire area over to Digital cable soon, so I Imagine none of that will work right? Any simple ideas, other than running a cable to each TV? I havent had a request for this kind of thing in years, always just go right into the TVs now, but in this case its a large concrete home and running wire is not easy.

Thanks.

Do you know any cable techs? Or try calling cable co and ask if they have any empty channels.. im sure there are some.. here 117 is typically used for cams and it kept open for that reason.

More then likely a higher channel should work..

Evan if they go all digital, you can still modulate your cams onto an analog channel, but the box from the cable co won't see it.. you would need to put a splitter before the box, and hookup the box with RCA's or hdmi or whatever and then just run coax straight to the tv for just your security channel..

Hope that makes sense.. if not let me know..

It's nowhere near as easy as it used to be.

You *can* do this, but it will forever be a headache as the cable companies tend to move and re-allocate frequencies more often now.

You'll need a QAM modulator, last time I checked, they were around $1,000 US.

I have a client that has an RF modulator (channel vision or channel plus cant remember its been years), goes out to a filter for channel range and using channel 72 in this case, and a splitter for the cable and the modulated input. Worked fine for the past 10 years, but now they installed Digital cable boxes and complain HD channels are missing. Also they will be switching the entire area over to Digital cable soon, so I Imagine none of that will work right? Any simple ideas, other than running a cable to each TV? I havent had a request for this kind of thing in years, always just go right into the TVs now, but in this case its a large concrete home and running wire is not easy.

Thanks.

http://zeevee.com/residential

A digital modulator is the way to go, but currently can be expensive and annoying. Maybe insert your analog cable channel downstream (after) the digital cable converter thing. Then they can surf their cable channels, as well as skip to the CCTV channel?

IDK...The whole cable thing confuses me!

I hate how all the cable companies are switching over to digital, and they call some of their channels 'HD'. Technically, they are HD in terms of pixels, but the whole image is very compressed to fit all the channel down the line. I get much better HD from over-the-air digital (free!). OTA is best quality, followed by satellite, THEN cable!