LQ1985

Please Help, Geovision Keeps Crashing.

Hello,

My geovision V 8.31 keeps crashing every 2-3 hours 24hrs daily. I keeps saying Microsoft recovered from a serious error, i had the same PC for 1 year no issues till past week were it started to do this crash non-sense. Anybody know what i could do?

IMG_3354-1.jpg

IMG_3352-1.jpg

IMG_3353-1.jpg

If I wanted to upgrade to the 8.4, do i have to pay or is it free? I will try to run the database repair option in geovision then.

If I wanted to upgrade to the 8.4, do i have to pay or is it free? I will try to run the database repair option in geovision then.

Upgrade is free.

There it is. That's where I understood it from.

well with a 3Ghz Core 2 Duo with Mpeg4 ASP it was hitting over 80% CPU with only 10 cameras.

Switch back to 8.3 it was half that.

With 8.3 you also have Geo Mpeg4 which is even less processing.

No Geo Mpeg4 anymore with 8.4.

Their H.264 also uses even more CPU, was 90-100% on that system with 8.4!

In the end i dropped the max fps to 7fps for each camera anyway which automatically uses less CPU, but in this case it was for hard drive space to match the other DVRs which were 1120's - this one was a 1480.

Never had these issues with any 8.12's and 1480's in the field, geez they are running on P4s!

My home system is running 8.01 on a AMD K-7 @ 1.83 Ghz. It is only a GV 600-8, but running 6 cameras at max resolution Geo MPEG4 CPU usage is 20%. I am afraid to load 8.4, and the only reason I wouyld is for the Android App, but I can't get that to work anyway, so I am just going to leave it alone.

Thank for all the help everyone. But when i go to the database repair after closing geovision and try to run database repair, i get the following

(Repairlog500- database file is used by another application!. Please close another application before execution repairlog500.exe!.)

I looked at my PC performance and its 90%-100%. Maybe this PC is just the bare minimum to run these 8 camera's?

photo10-1.jpg

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

2.13 GHz 736mb ram

XP SP2

Will buying an newer PC help run the system better?

To repair the database you have to close out all geo programs, check the system tray and click on their icons to bring them up then exit them.

For starters you might want to add some more memory, especially if using 8.3+

At least double the RAM, 2GB has been the minimum for a couple years now.

Also for tweaking the actual system:-

Skip down to "Tweak System" for just the post install tweaking.

The following is for Windows XP SP2 or SP3.

INSTALL WINDOWS

Custom Windows XP:

DRV Lite - this creates a custom Nlite setup of Windows XP.

This is heavily tweaked and components removed, adjust to your needs if required.

If you decide to install full Windows XP instead, remove Internet Explorer from Add/Remove Programs, Components, and under Internet Options turn Security and Cookies to high.

INSTALL DVR SOFTWARE

Install Hardware Drivers and DVR Software prior to doing any of the following tweaks.

Make certain that everything runs well, then create an image of the system incase you need to restore.

Note: we will be disabling Microsoft's System Restore.

TWEAK SYSTEM

Reg Tweaks:

Download (with sharing enabled)

Download (with sharing disabled)

To edit these files, right click "Edit", then change values and save.

Please note, these are for systems with high memory (1GB+).

Prefetch is disabled in the above reg files.

To enable Prefetch, right click EDIT on the reg file and make:

"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000001

The Task Scheduler Service must also be enabled for Prefetch.

Services:

Tweak Windows XP services by enabling or disabling certain services.

Includes an option to set the Windows XP default services.

Click Here for further information.

OR, manually

XPSP3 Services List for a PC DVR (eg. Geovision), this is for Full XP SP3:

Click Here to download a PDF showing the services configuration.

Note: some features like printer and networking (not TCP) are disabled.

Manual Tweaks:

• Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles, Select the first profile listed if I dont select a profile in ... 0 seconds.

• Control Panel, System, Hardware, Driver Signing, Ignore.

• Control Panel, System, Hardware, Windows Update, Never Search.

• Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Visual Effects, Adjust for best performance.

• Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, Time to Display list of Operating Systems, 3 seconds

• Control Panel, System, Advanced, Error Reporting, Disable

• Control Panel, System, Remote, Uncheck both

• Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates, Turn Off

• Control Panel, System, System Restore, Turn Off

• Control Panel, Display, Theme, Windows Classic

• Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background, None

• Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Color, Black

• Control Panel, Display, Screen Saver, None

• My Computer, Right Click System Drive C:, Uncheck Indexing, Ignore.

Windows Firewall:

Control Panel, Windows Firewall - add all your DVR Ports.

TCP/IP Port Filtering:

Control Panel, Network Connections, TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, Options, TCP/IP filtering, Options.

Check "Enable TCP/IP Filtering", Select "Permit Only" for TCP Ports, UDP Ports, IP Ports.

Under TCP Ports click Add to add all your DVR Ports.

Click Okay to exit, you will need to restart the PC for changes to take effect.

Note: For Antivirus and Windows updates you may need to leave this alone.

Windows Startup:

Most startup items can be removed from Windows start up.

Click the "Start button", "Run", type msconfig, click "Ok"

Click on the "Startup" tab and uncheck everything - if you have Tweakui installed leave that.

Leave the DVR software (eg.GV-1480, IR Remote, etc).

If using an Antivirus you will need to leave that as well.

Scanners and All in one printers will also need to stay on start up.

Cleanup:

Run CCleaner to remove temp files and fix any registry issues.

Optionally run CleanUp for a more thorough cleaning.

Defrag your drives.

Image your System drive and create a Restore disk.

TROUBLESHOOTING

Run BootTimer to check your Windows XP boot time.

Slow boot times? Run this script to check start up items.

Hardware issues? Run this report for Motherboard and Video information.

Having major issues? Try the following

-Goto Start, Run, msconfig, Boot.ini - check /BOOTLOG and click apply then Restart

-Download HiJackThis from TrendMicro, run a scan and save the report (dont send to Trend Micro)

-Goto the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, and Right click save log file for both Application and System.

-Goto the Services and Export the list.

-If you used Nlite, save the Nlite Session file somewhere (not the _U one).

-the Boot log file will be called: NTBTLOG.TXT and is in the Windows Folder

-Also check the Setup Error log and if not empty, save that - C:\Windows\setuperr.log

Send the files to an expert to evaluate.

Hey All,

I tried all the steps above, and the computer still keeps crashing? Should i just buy a new powerful pc? would anything from bestbuy.com work? or should i buy something online? can anyone recommend me a good pc for this card?

Im going to let someone else take over from here, Ive distanced myself from the computer hardware side of it now, though having something custom built with something like an Asus motherboard and at least a Quad core would be good.

It is probably hardware related. Have you checked the caps on the motherboard, and video card? Make sure the north bridge fan is turning (if you have one) and that the heat sink is attached correctly. If you have one of the boards where they used the little U hook soldered into the board, they have a tendency of falling out. What are your temps for your CPU PLL etc...

How would i find the Pull of the cpu?

Also if i just upgrade to an windows 7 computer, is this card compatible? I rather just buy an faster computer with 4mb of ram and faster processor then his old dinosaur i been using.

is this card compatible? I rather just buy an faster computer with 4mb of ram and faster processor

i think you are taking a risk. many have moved from geo. i talked with a company who have sold geo cards for years and had a problem with a few cards only for geo to ask them to make shure the cards were legal.

you could spend $$$ on a new pc and have even more problems.

My geovision V 8.31 keeps crashing every 2-3 hours 24hrs daily. I keeps saying Microsoft recovered from a serious error, i had the same PC for 1 year no issues till past week were it started to do this crash non-sense. Anybody know what i could do?

if your system has been working fine. then i would start to look at simple problems. how are the fans working in your dvr ....... have they gone slow it might be worth buying some new fans and add some extra .... it will only cost a few $$$. also disconnect any CD drives and see if you get the same problems.

I guess i can check the fans, only issue is this computer is in use 24/7. So I really didn't want to break anything, and then guess what computer would work with this card. I'm not to technically inclined with PC's haha. I don't minding spending more $$ on a new computer, which is more current then this which i bought in 2004.