Sil

Need suggestions and advice

Hello, fairly new to video surveillance and would like to explain the situation so perhaps i can start looking at what to get.

My friend has a pool thats fairly far out on the property (150-200 feet) im guessing, that has a metal fence surrounding it, it is locked but local kids keep jumping the fence at night, and she is worried because she holds responsibility for injury/death etc. She has talked to kids/parents and they dont care? They just dont listen lol.

She has contacted the police, but police say she needs video evidence for them to do anything...

So i did some research and it seems wireless cameras are out due to distance, and i cannot for the life of me find any cameras that would attach to house and zoom in while still getting face shots/distinguishable video for evidence.

Now, there is a huge pole with a light attached to it, lighting up the pool at night

I would like to use this to my advantage, i was thinking of running coax? or? from pole to house, and set up either a dvr, or recording software on computer?

Anyone have any suggestions that wont "break the bank"?

Thanks for your time.

I presume your friend doesn't have a security guard to monitor the camera full time therefore you would need a camera that can

pan tilt and zoom, (PTZ) camera, supported by PIR security lights etc.

In order to zoom in on intruders, you need to be able to set presets and alarms that will go to a preset which is zoomed in on a particular location when the alarm is triggered. This could be motion sensitive or the very useful beam breakers or PIR motion sensors. When the beam is triggered it goes to a preset which remembers the zoom and horizontal / vertical position of the camera. When the alarm period is over the camera would resume it's monitoring position i.e. another wider angle preset.

For this distance, to get close up enough to identify individuals by face you will need a 22 or 27 or even 36 times optical zoom supported by a digital zoom also. Don't forget, Individuals can cover their faces so remember that in your planning.

Over that distance also, you could run either a couple of Cat5 Cables for an Analogue camera or an IP camera which works with your network and there are several that come with excellent support software. A single PTZ camera with supporting PIR lights would work probably.

I would also get plenty of signage outside the fence and have Beware of The Security dog warning signs also. Anti-climb paint on the fences might help.

To be honest, you may well find just one camera works for you as PTZ cams have mostly a full 360 degree pan. Remember though that you can't see past the mounting post. Another thing, if the mounting post isn't rock solid, look for a auto picture stabilization feature on your camera. I would add another Hard drive to your PC record to also if you can budget for it.

You won't need a DVR if you get a decent quality IP PTZ dome like Lilin or Axis or Everfocus or I have seen some fabulous CNB IP domes on their website. I am told they are very good for the price.

Finally why not fill in your location so members can recommend dealers to you. You may even make some local contacts.

If you are in the UK I am in Manchester if you are near me I can take you to a site with a similar situation to the one you describe. Within a month of installation their problem was gone, and they were left thinking they might not have needed CCTV. That always happens after a very effective system goes in place in a residential premises. Point is take it away again and the problems start to occur again after a while.

it is locked but local kids keep jumping the fence at night

hi. the first thing for your install is a good pool alarm. you can get some good floating remote alarms for pools. we have had a few from a company in texas.

in a pool situation CCTV does not take away the liability side from your customer unless they monitor the camera 24/7. a good pool alarm and some Optex Photo Beams would be a better way to spend your money. then take a look at putting a camera over the pool area. if you dont have a very big budget then your best using a standard camera (without IR)

I think this problem can be rectified by using sensors also.u place the sensor for the wall ,if any one come closer to it it may gives the signal,So when the sensor gives a signal we may activate the cc camera automatically( u must provide a communication between the sensor & camera)

You sure she still has liability? As long as there is a fence the kids are climbing over, I think it relieves her of any incident which may happen... might be worth consulting a lawyer and maybe throwing up a few no trespassing signs.

Also, guard dog. And snakes in the pool. And sharks with lasers!

Take a look at a outdoor motion detector connected to a dvr that can send text or email.Next use direct burial cable cat 5,for a 24 camera.Now call the police and caught them in the act with video.

You sure she still has liability? As long as there is a fence the kids are climbing over, I think it relieves her of any incident which may happen... might be worth consulting a lawyer and maybe throwing up a few no trespassing signs.

No matter who is responsible, nobody wants an intruder to suffer injury or death as a consequence of trespass. The threat of injury is all that is required. It is still the responsibility of the property owner to react in a "reasonable" manner. For example you cannot post "NO Trespass, minefield beyond" If an intruded died as a result of a mine the owner would almost certainly be held responsible irrespective of any trespass as this would be a gross over reaction especially if someone wandered onto your property as a result of being confused or plain accident. You cannot just kill someone who is not authorized to be on your property unless they pose a significant threat to life and that would have to be proveable. This is one of those cases where you would be guilty until proven innocent.

Not worth risking a prosecution.

No matter who is responsible, nobody wants an intruder to suffer injury or death as a consequence of trespass. The threat of injury is all that is required. It is still the responsibility of the property owner to react in a "reasonable" manner. For example you cannot post "NO Trespass, minefield beyond" If an intruded died as a result of a mine the owner would almost certainly be held responsible irrespective of any trespass as this would be a gross over reaction especially if someone wandered onto your property as a result of being confused or plain accident. You cannot just kill someone who is not authorized to be on your property unless they pose a significant threat to life and that would have to be proveable. This is one of those cases where you would be guilty until proven innocent.

Not worth risking a prosecution.

In the US, land owners have zero obligation to protect trespassers from anything naturally on the land (like a pond or a cliff). If you build something like a pool or get a trampoline or a playground, etc. then it's considered an "attractive nuisance" and you could be held liable. These laws are aimed at children though who don't know better than to stay away from dangerous things, still have zero responsibility for adults who drown in your pool while trespassing.

In these cases the landowner is responsible for keeping children safe from the attractive nuisance, and generally a fence is enough to show you tried to protect them in court. Notifying their parents, telling the kids to stay away, contacting the police, having a fence, all show you tried to protect them and you would probably be relieved of liability. There's more involved to this though, which is why I suggested consulting a lawyer. The OP is definitely on the right path.

A minefield would be cool though.

back to your original question , 150 to 200 feet is not out of wifi range my range max wifi router goes 300 feet in open air and you already have power at the pole for the light so I think you can get away with a cheaper wifi camera . If you have wifi running in the house already you would just need a new stronger wifi router and a simple wifi cam and then you have the evidence to get the teens locked up. or at least evidence when they get rowdy and cause damage. Get high def cam and you will be able to digital zoom

Averaging the distance at 175', you can cover a 20' wide area with a 42mm lens on a 1/3" camera - 42mm is not an uncommon focal length (I have a couple of 7-70mm lenses here, as well as a 15-50mm).