will be monitoring workers/shipments for insurance and return

purposes. They don't need to have any fancy features, although a high

resolution and zoom would both be pluses. These will be mounted 20-25

feet from the docks, on the ceiling. For the manufacturing areas,

quality PTZ cameras are needed. We need to be able to see any problems

that arise on the floor. We'll probably be using dome cameras for this

area, since they will be positioned directly over food. A good zoom,

resolution, and output are necessary. These will be anywhere from 20

feet to 40 feet from their monitored production applicances.

As for recording/monitoring systems, we are going with a software NVR

solution going on a powerful server with a good amount of storage

(3.4Ghz 4-core processor; 2Tb of storage). The software must support

at least 8 cameras of course, although 16 is an ideal minimum, just in

case we need to add a couple more. Also, we need the entire interface

to be accessible from the internet (and please, not with just Internet

Explorer).

I realize that the options for these types of cameras in wireless are

limited, but I believe that there are definitely some fixed cameras

available. For the PTZs, so far it seems like PoE is the preferred

network method... I did find some nice cameras in the PZ series

(specfically, PZ71X2 and PZ81X1) from Vivotek (see them here: http://vivotek.com/products/network_cameras.php), along with some IP66

domes (WB-82WT-US and WB-82WS-US; they're here: http://vivotek.com/products/accessories.php) to fit them. However, I'm not sure of their reputation in the industry. Is Vivotek reliable...? The fixed cameras would probably be easier to cable, and they do have some nice fixed ones on their site - and their NVR software is functional and free. However, I am definitely open to other ideas. We're looking to spend anywhere from $4-7k on this. Thanks in advance!

I am the loss prevention manager for Gary's Wine & Marketplace in NJ. We have three stores. I use dedicated servers from i3International out of Canada. I have a total of 9 servers. Our Wayne, NJ store uses 4 servers with 64 cameras which includes 12 PTZ; inside and outside. The software is proprietary, is extremely powerful, full of useful features and uses direct internet connection; no IE. I have no problem viewing from remote sites.

I have been using these servers for many years with little problems; mainly drives. I have tons of storage and on most servers (not the PTZ one) I can go back months.

Thanks for the input garyswine, but none of i3's cameras are wireless. I really need at least some (preferably all) of the cameras to be wireless.

I was not referring to the cameras they offer but, rather, the servers. You can run almost any type of cameras including wireless. You would just connect the receiver to the server.

I was not referring to the cameras they offer but, rather, the servers. You can run almost any type of cameras including wireless. You would just connect the receiver to the server.

Well, thanks, but we already have a spare server on which to host our surveillance platform. And, of course, the wireless cameras will be connected to the 802.11b/g/n access points. If anything changes though, I will definitely keep i3 in mind.

Any IP camera can be wireless if you connect it to an access point sitting next to it. You'll need to put a power supply at each camera location though, along with getting 120vac to the power supply and the access point.

By the time you get 120vac to each camera location (will be required regardless of which wireless camera you find), it might be cheaper/easier just to pull some cat5e/6 and use PoE cameras.

Is the 4-7k just for the cameras and equipment or the full install?

@CameraGuy5 - If your using anything less then enterprise grade wireless and you expect a reliable system you will be very disappointed. Pull cat5e to the cameras!!

@garyswine - Are you using analog cameras or network cameras? I think your referring to DVRs not servers.

I refer to them as servers because they are stand alone rack DVR units.

SRXPRO_48024RR_Sm-1.jpg

Key Features

• Up to 24 channels of video (16 Analog)

• Up to 8 Channels of IP Video

• 4 Channels of Video Analytics

• Support POS Integration

• Real-time mode display

• Mux or composite display

• Removable storage

Software Configuration

Number of analog channels 4 channels of video analytics - monitoring human and object activities

Number of VideoLogix channels Yes

Number of VisionCount channels 16

Other IP and megapixel cameras supported 1, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16 or 25

Number of License Plate Recognition channels Yes

Recording modes video analytic (VAR) Yes

Recording modes (Time/Date - with time zone ref., sensor, motion detection, or continuous) i3 Encrypted, AVI, BMP, or JPEG

Hardware Configuration

Operating devices (CPU, graphics, RAM) 8

Analog video loop out (75 Ohm, dip switch controlled) Keyboard, Optical Mouse, and DVD±R/RW

VGA resolution requirement Intel Processor, PCI Express, 2 GB RAM

Resolution and Compression

Type of Compression MJPEG - analog, MPEG4 - IP, or H.264

Analog display speed NTSC/PAL NTSC: 320 x 240,720 x 240,720 x 480,1280 x 1024(1.3M),1600 x 1200(2M),1920 x 1200(2.2M),2040 x 1530(3.0M),2560 x 1920(5.0M)

PAL: 320 x 288,720 x 288,720 x 576

Client Applications

Remote viewing IE 6.0, Proprietary Software, & SRX-Pro Player

Number of PACDM™ channels Serial/TCP/IP 8/16

CMS (Central Monitoring Software) Yes

Physical Environment and Certifications

Type of chassis 115-230 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 550 W (auto switch)

Power 20° - 25°C or 68° - 77°F < 80%, non-condensing

Operating temperature & relative humidity Rackmount Aluminum

By the time you get 120vac to each camera location

hi both cameras are POE.

Only if he pulls cable back to the head end. If he goes the wireless route, he'll need 120vac at each location.

Yes, we have decided to go the PoE route. We're heavily leaning towards Vivotek as well. They have excellent fixed cameras for the loading docks. The only thing I'm concerned about is the video quality on the PZ8111/PZ8121. Does anyone know how qualitative "D1" resolution is? How does it look on a 1024x768 monitor? Anyone have images/demos?

Edit: I have just reviewed some D1 footage and images and have found them very lacking in quality... Unfortunately, Vivotek does not offer a PTZ camera with a resolution above D1. Does anyone have recommendations for a dome PTZ camera with at least a 1.3 megapixel resolution?

What's the field of view for the PTZs? You might be better off scrapping them and putting in a bunch of these 5mp fixed cameras:

http://www.arecontvision.com/AV5155.html

Or alternatively these 5mp fixed cameras:

http://www.avigilon.com/products/cameras-video/ip-dome/

They might be pushing your budget but they should get the job done and have excellent picture quality. Just make sure they're compatible with the nvr software you choose.

I discussed the matter with the owner, and he agreed that an IP66 megapixel PTZ camera would be out of our price range. With 2 megapixels and ePTZ, I think we may be able to get similar coverage, since the 2 megapixels would have a very wide viewing area, and ePTZ would be sufficiently versatile. I noticed that Vivotek offers some very nice dome cameras with ePTZ and 2 megapixel resolution.

I'd like to stay with one manufacturer, because the prices for manufacturer-independent NVR software is very expensive (for example, exacqVision is $1200 for an 8 camera license - something I'd rather not pay for, since I can get Vivotek's software for free). And I realize there are benefits to buying manufacturer-independent NVR software, but I've reviewed Vivotek's line, and they seem to meet all our current and future needs. They also allow Firefox to be used for external web viewing, which is a huge plus. However, if anyone else knows of a manufacturer that makes 2-4 megapixel dome cameras with ePTZ and offers free NVR software (that can be accessed over the web with Firefox or Chrome), I'd be very interested.

I discussed the matter with the owner, and he agreed that an IP66 megapixel PTZ camera would be out of our price range

hi cameraguy5. have you thought about going hybrid to get the price down. you can then still use vivotek and standard PTZ for the loading area.

hi cameraguy5. have you thought about going hybrid to get the price down. you can then still use vivotek and standard PTZ for the loading area.

We would rather implement a solution using solely network cameras, since the facility already has ethernet drops in several ideal areas.

We would rather implement a solution using solely network cameras, since the facility already has ethernet drops in several ideal areas.

you can still use standard cameras using the ethernet (4 cameras from each.) is evey location with in 100m