shockwave199

Power adapter for cameras

A number of my cams require 12VDC(+/~10%)/300mA according to specs. The adapters that actually come with the cams read 12vdc 1a. And frankly, they are cheap and sucky. I'd like to get better ones. Should I stick with getting that spec of 300ma, or would I be ok with something like a 12v 1.5 adapter? More, like 2a? I just don't want to blow out the cams, or underpower them either. Thanks.

Dan

Why not bring all the power cables from each camera and use a 4/9 way 5amp 'Hub'

Keeps it tidy and each power out has its on electronic Fuse

get a wall panel like Birdman recommends, i purchased a 12v 1.5amp per channel, 16 channel panel off ebay, for 50.00 delivered to my home, best way to go...

the way i understand it is, the cameras will only pull, amp wise what it needs, so don't worry about using a 1.5 amp power supply on a 300mA camera, it is always better to have more amperage then not enough, if you underpowered the camera will not work right...

as long as you stay with a 12v regulated , you should be fine, again check out ebay...

get a wall panel like Birdman recommends, i purchased a 12v 1.5amp per channel, 16 channel panel off ebay, for 50.00 delivered to my home, best way to go...

the way i understand it is, the cameras will only pull, amp wise what it needs, so don't worry about using a 1.5 amp power supply on a 300mA camera, it is always better to have more amperage then not enough, if you underpowered the camera will not work right...

as long as you stay with a 12v regulated , you should be fine, again check out ebay...

Let use know how long that Ebay special lasts.

I wouldn't recommend from ebay... My picture was just from a generic google image search... Nevertheless, I'd bet the ebay one you got will work just fine for a long time.

I payed $65 for my 9-port, 12VDC, 10A power supply. The build quality is very good, from the case, to the PSU, and even the switch. Basically, it is a very small computer PSU. I have 8 cameras on it, and they only pull about 2 amps total.

If you go cheap on PSUs, don't load them down a lot. And most importantly: USE A UPS!

I actually would like to use that wall panel. I just never see how to use it- how it's all hooked up. I have an eight camera system. Is it a simple matter of plugging the power connections from the cable into the box, or does it require some wiring? I see pics, but I never see how it's actually hooked up. And yeah, even right now I have all the cams on a UPS. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Also in the short term, is it ok to use a 5ooma on a 300ma spec camera? Talking all 12V with this.

Dan

yes , lets see, when it fails, i will immediately post the failure date and time to this site, better yet , PM me your home phone number and i will call you as soon as it happens...LOL...

I disconnected my home phone a few years ago to save money! No need when I always use the cell.

About connecting cameras to the PSU:

See the screw connections? Top is positive, bottom is negative. Fuses for each connection are above the positive screws, along with indicator LEDs. Power wires from the cameras go into the box through one of the knockouts in the top, side or bottom. Strip the wires, loosen screws, and tighten down screws with wire wrapped around it underneath. Keep it tidy with zipties!

mA (current) specifications on PSUs simply show the current they are capable of putting out. mA (current) specifications on devices (loads), like a camera, simply show the current they need to work properly.

It is totally fine to run a 300mA camera off of any PSU above 300mA. It could even be a 100A PSU, you would still be fine, as long as the voltage is still 12VDC.

What you don't want to do:

-is connect your cameras to a PSU with a voltage higher (or lower!) than 12V

-is use a PSU BELOW the current rating of your camera. The PSU will be overloaded and get mad at you.

-is use the wrong type of power to run your cams. e.g. don't supply a camera with AC power when it needs DC!! Some cams can take both. Look at the specs.

and now that i think of it, there was just a posting about an expensive Bosch camera that took a dump, obviously not a cheap ebay special....

heres the exact comment , "Im thinking it might have just been some component in the camera that overheated.

Ive had the EX82s at the same location for literally 10 years without issue though, same black housing.

I also have some cheap cameras there, never lost one of them.

BTW the EX30 retails in the $1700-$2000 area."

now here you have a non-cheap "eBay special", that crapped out in 3 days......irregardless why it crapped out, it still did....

heres the link for that:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26451

i have also read posts that speak of using ebay IRs that, were providing just what the buyer was looking for...

what i am trying to say is, you don't right away have to down an item just because it was purchased on ebay, and also , i am curious, just what would you accept as a fair amount of time for a wall PSU to last...

finally, if you know anything about electronics, you should know there are a vast array of reasons why something would fail...it doesn't have to be build quality...

and now that i think of it, there was just a posting about an expensive Bosch camera that took a dump, obviously not a cheap ebay special....

heres the exact comment , "Im thinking it might have just been some component in the camera that overheated.

Ive had the EX82s at the same location for literally 10 years without issue though, same black housing.

I also have some cheap cameras there, never lost one of them.

BTW the EX30 retails in the $1700-$2000 area."

now here you have a non-cheap "eBay special", that crapped out in 3 days......irregardless why it crapped out, it still did....

heres the link for that:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26451

i have also read posts that speak of using ebay IRs that, were providing just what the buyer was looking for...

what i am trying to say is, you don't right away have to down an item just because it was purchased on ebay, and also , i am curious, just what would you accept as a fair amount of time for a wall PSU to last...

finally, if you know anything about electronics, you should know there are a vast array of reasons why something would fail...it doesn't have to be build quality...

Wow really? " title="Applause" />

I know the camera Rory is using and my post had NOTHING to do with that. Not sure why you brought that up but I was referring to the components used in EBAY power supplies.

Guess you took offence to my post.

Edited by Guest

Wow really? " title="Applause" />

nothing to say, just as i figured....

Figured what? I have been installing low voltage gear for over 13 years if you wanna use cheap no name power supplies be my guest.

Guess you took offence to my post.

first off, you did mean "OFFENSE", just checking, if you did, see following:

no offense taken by a misguided or an uninformed statement...

Figured what? I have been installing low voltage gear for over 13 years if you wanna use cheap no name power supplies be my guest.

sure you have...

sure you have...

I don't have time for these games..... good luck...

Thanks for your help and the info.

But-

'irregardless'

Don't make me...don't get me started with that non-word.

I've seen a few different kinds on ebay, including the one pictured, which doesn't look to be anymore of a name than a noname, although that one has fuses and is around 60-70 bucks, whereas the cheap ones start at 40 or so, with no fuses that I can see. A few of them include the power adapter leads, which I suppose is cool. But I'd want one with fuses in line for sure. I'll investigate more. Thanks for all the info.

Dan

TheWireGuys, I have been curious about this. What brand of PSU do you use? And could you offer an approximate price? I am wondering how much more a really-good quality one costs?

I do almost all IP now so I haven't sold a PSU in a while. I have used Altronix, ELK, MG and MW power supplies when I need to power other devices. For POE mostly Netgear but just finishing up a large IP project with HP Pro-Curve switches.

Whenever I get a new camera with PSU supplied, with a few exceptions, it goes into a box in the garage to be sold at the next garage sale or boot fair I attend. I keep a few to use in emergencies usually the higher outputs and the 24V AC ones. They prove very popular sellers at such sales.

I prefer to buy a branded trustworthy distribution box every-time. They are not always reliable but I like to buy the ones when I know who manufactured it the names escape me at this moment, but I know the names and who supplies them. Where they come from is usually irrelevant so if I saw them on ebay (Fat chance) I might buy a few, but a lot of ebay stuff is there simply because it's rubbish.

I now prefer to buy from my suppliers in the UK who are reasonably priced and have a great attitude. There is a lot to be said for good customer relations and good attitude.