bluehorizons

Stupid (probably!) question about camera lines

Ok so this is not my area of expertise but how does the relationship between camera lines and dvr resolution work? Do you have to be careful about getting a dvr that will actually make use of the number of lines that a camera has? Thanks.

Where do you live? Because there are two main video standards - NTSC and PAL. For NTSC, the max is 720x480, also called D1. This is what you want when your recording.

So the max a DVRs will record in terms of horizontal lines is 480. Make sure you cam is at that or above, and your good. Cameras with higher # of lines doesn't always mean they are better. Its a gimmick.

Actually 480 pixels is different than 480 TV lines. From what I understand or have read somewhere (or someone posted an article on here about it one time) The max TV lines that a recorded DVR video will pick up on is 550 TV Lines. I wish I could give more info on it but I cant seem to remember the article. I want to say that the user numbnuts or nimrod (or one of those funny usernames) posted a link to an article about it from some manufacturers website.

I do agree though that one should not rely on the TV line specification as it is just a small factor that one should look at.