WTFool

I have an interesting request.

I am the surveillance manager/tech for a gaming property, i can't really go into more than that.

We are currently remodeling an area that stores our "vault"

Instead of a safe we are creating a room. It is approximately 4 foot wide by 6 foot long by 8 foot high with plexiglass boxes to hold a certain amount of strapped currency. These boxes will be on 2 of the walls. I plan on adding 2 still cameras, 1 in each corner, with crisscrossing shots.

The problem is, a camera can only see so much, if someone stands or squats in front of one of these boxes, their hands will be unseen. To combat this i would like to add 2 camera's, about waist height to look along the edge of each wall of boxes.

Looking at the doors into this room, i'm inclined to believe that the studs between the walls are 3 1/4 inch which doesnt leave much room for the cans we usually use, the Pelco df5-1 I know they make a smaller dome but that still leaves us with the bubble outside the dome that will stick out of the wall.

One possible solution i have found is the Samsung SCD-2010. I have never used a board camera and i dont quite understand the spec's on it. I really dont want a fisheye lens and it doesn't have a lens that can zoom as it only defines it as 3mm.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

A board camera with a wide angle lens say 2 or 2.5mm lens will give you a wider angle without too much distortion like a fish eye lens.

You can mount this in either a purpose made anti-vandal dome, a mini ceiling dome or if it needs to be covert spend a few dollars on a large PIR sensor, remover the guts and install the board camera in there. In the board camera lens housing there is usually a little grub screw securing the lens, loosen this and remove the 3.6 mm lens and simply screw in the new 2.5 mm lens. It takes a while to get it in focus, so if you can do it in a workshop before hand you can fine tune when you site the cam.

There are too many board cameras available to recommend one brand, but I like Eneo camera units (from Germany). Spend your money on TVL not colour, I use 600 TVL B&W 1/3" CCD sensor board cameras because color isn't necessary at that distance and in a closed environment, for identification. I doubt cost is an issue with your project anyway?

With boards cameras. you get three wires out, yellow is usually video, Red is 12v DC (usually, so check) and black is common or earth I interconnect this by using a pair of pigtail baluns, I cut the BNC end off of the pigtail baluns and using con block center to yellow, braid to earth and I use the CAT5 cable for power too, then use the other balun either at your server-encoder (if using IP) or at your DVR.

You could just buy a high end mini dome camera and have the seller swap the lens out for you. It'll save a lot of hassle.

I don't normally like to recommend anything from ebay but look at item 320586300088 find out if they would supply you one with a 2.5 mm lens it would be ideal snd you can see the video of what kind of view you will get. The view is similar to the room size you describe.

Directly overhead shots work best for most cash counting, handling and storage applications. They should be placed approximately above the line between the cash boxes and where someone would stand. That takes care of the hands and the criss-cross overviews can be used to ID the person standing there.

I am the surveillance manager/tech for a gaming property, i can't really go into more than that.

We are currently remodeling an area that stores our "vault"

Instead of a safe we are creating a room. It is approximately 4 foot wide by 6 foot long by 8 foot high with plexiglass boxes to hold a certain amount of strapped currency. These boxes will be on 2 of the walls. I plan on adding 2 still cameras, 1 in each corner, with crisscrossing shots.

The problem is, a camera can only see so much, if someone stands or squats in front of one of these boxes, their hands will be unseen. To combat this i would like to add 2 camera's, about waist height to look along the edge of each wall of boxes.

Looking at the doors into this room, i'm inclined to believe that the studs between the walls are 3 1/4 inch which doesnt leave much room for the cans we usually use, the Pelco df5-1 I know they make a smaller dome but that still leaves us with the bubble outside the dome that will stick out of the wall.

One possible solution i have found is the Samsung SCD-2010. I have never used a board camera and i dont quite understand the spec's on it. I really dont want a fisheye lens and it doesn't have a lens that can zoom as it only defines it as 3mm.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Thinking about the problem from a different angle(!) why not consider sinking flush mount cameras in the floor?

Ilkie

Thinking about the problem from a different angle(!) why not consider sinking flush mount cameras in the floor?

Ilkie

WOW!!! I hope the floor's not concrete!

newsconcretecuttingsaw-1.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Supplier hooked me up with a couple of low profile recessed mini domes. The edge of the dome only sticks out about 2.5 inches.

Only had them bumped into a couple of times.

I wanted the mirrors too but they get a little strange whenever i make requests like that around here.

Ended up covering the entire area with 2 overhead shots and 2 wall mounted shots about 3 feet up. It's a bit overkill but i suppose most of our system is overkill for the size of property we are on. Idea behind it was if one camera is blocked, the others will support, LP thing.

If you have such a lot of cash to protect, you need to make it as clear as day to

employees a that they are going to get caught if they steal, that way hopefully

there is little chance they will even consider it and wil go on to be assets rather than liabilities.

When I am installing, and staff ask about being spied on I always tell them it's for THEIR protection

from thieves destroying the business and from suspicion in the event of cash or stock shortages.

They usually go away quite happy and satisfied.