SEANHAWG

My Laptop is Slow

I have a Toshiba Laptop that was pretty fast when I first got it but now its really slow and I have done everything under the sun to try to speed it up and its still slower than crap. I am not a computer expert by any means but I think I know more than most people and I have researched the web for all kinds of techniques to speed up my comp but still no good results. Of course I use it for everything now and it has several programs on it.

Is it possible that my hard-drive could be slowing down my computer. Was thinking about getting a new hard drive. Not even sure what kind mine currently has right now but it just seems to take along time to pull data from the hard-drive. I know RAM has alot to do with speed but can changing out the hard-drive make that much of a difference. And can anyone recommend a tool or the easiest way to clone data from my old hard drive to the new one.

I have a Toshiba Laptop that was pretty fast when I first got it but now its really slow and I have done everything under the sun to try to speed it up and its still slower than crap. I am not a computer expert by any means but I think I know more than most people and I have researched the web for all kinds of techniques to speed up my comp but still no good results. Of course I use it for everything now and it has several programs on it.

Is it possible that my hard-drive could be slowing down my computer. Was thinking about getting a new hard drive. Not even sure what kind mine currently has right now but it just seems to take along time to pull data from the hard-drive. I know RAM has alot to do with speed but can changing out the hard-drive make that much of a difference. And can anyone recommend a tool or the easiest way to clone data from my old hard drive to the new one.

1. Acronis to create backup image if u need it

2. SSD as hard drive

3.Install Win

4.Enjoy

If your thinking about a new HD, I would not want to transfer the current OS over as a clean OS install will improve performance. I would use the windows easy transfer to backup your settings and data to a external drive, reinstall on your current drive, or a new one, then easy transfer your settings back. I agree with the SSD and more ram, but if your machine is very old, you might be better shopping for a new one.

My 2 cents.

Before you dump a ton of money on upgrading an older laptop, it may benefit from simply reinstalling Windows clean (format and install, or restore from the recovery discs, if it came with them).

First though, download, install and run (from within Windows) Western Digital Data Lifeguard, and test the hard drive for errors (just google "DLG", you should find it - works with all drive brands).

I'd highly recommend also downloading MEMTEST86+, creating a bootable CD or flash drive (bootable image can be downloaded from the site), and running that to test the RAM for errors.

Also, google "SIW" (Software Information for Windows) - download and run that and that will tell you just about everything you need to know about your hardware, including what type of hard drive you have (EIDE/PATA or SATA) and what type and maximum capacity of memory is supported.

About adding RAM: it's a great idea to say "just throw more RAM at it", but with a laptop in particular, you may be limited in how much you can add. Most will have some on-board and then one slot to add another module, and it may only support a certain size module, or a certain maximum installed amount. If the slots are already filled, you'll have to replace what's there; you won't be able to simply add on.

"No less than 4GB" is also fine to say, but keep in mind that if you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, it won't be able to use more than about 3.5GB; any more than that will just be wasted.

How many "backdoor" do u guarantee ?

As it is Sean I will leave out the backdoors this time

@ Sean. if it was fast once, it can be fast again and even faster than it was before.

Unless there is some hardware damage like a bad hard drive.

"No less than 4GB" is also fine to say, but keep in mind that if you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, it won't be able to use more than about 3.5GB; any more than that will just be wasted.

That's why I said 4

Thanks for all the replies. I will give all suggestions a shot. Its a 32 bit system with 2g ram. It was fast at one time but I have added buttloads of programs and use it as my main computer all the time, but I am still convinced that there is something "wrong" with it. I did think about re-installing windows too, thanks for the tips on that.

Still confused about the backdoor thing, I am not sure I even want to go there. @ Ak357 and Rory, I'll leave your personal life up to you guys, whatever you do in your spare time is none of my business

Thanks for all the replies. I will give all suggestions a shot. Its a 32 bit system with 2g ram. It was fast at one time but I have added buttloads of programs and use it as my main computer all the time, but I am still convinced that there is something "wrong" with it. I did think about re-installing windows too, thanks for the tips on that.

Still confused about the backdoor thing, I am not sure I even want to go there. @ Ak357 and Rory, I'll leave your personal life up to you guys, whatever you do in your spare time is none of my business

Run this - dont demo just run.

When cleaning up a malware infected PC this is the first thing I run

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=72

Then this - do both cleaner and registry

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Defrag all drives

Goto Start, Run, msconfig, Boot.ini - check /BOOTLOG and click apply then Restart ... the Boot log file will be called: NTBTLOG.TXT and is in the Windows Folder

Download HiJackThis, run a scan and save the report

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Goto the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, and Right click save log file for both Application and System.

Goto the Services and Export the list.

Also check the Setup Error log and if not empty, save that - C:\Windows\setuperr.log

Send me those reports/logs

Also ...

Manual Tweaks: (XP)

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles, Select the first profile listed if I dont select a profile in ... 0 seconds.

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Driver Signing, Ignore.

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Windows Update, Never Search.

Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Visual Effects, Adjust for best performance.

Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Settings, Time to Display list of Operating Systems, 3 seconds

Control Panel, System, Advanced, Error Reporting, Disable

Control Panel, System, Remote, Uncheck both

Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates, Turn Off

Control Panel, System, System Restore, Turn Off

Control Panel, Display, Theme, Windows Classic

Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background, None

Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Color, Black

Control Panel, Display, Screen Saver, None

My Computer, Right Click System Drive C:, Uncheck Indexing, Ignore.

Windows Firewall: Reset it to default

Initial basic malware checks ...

Manually check your TCP IP settings and IE proxy settings for anything abnormal.

Check the Program Files path for any EXE/VBS/BAT etc files

Check the Windows path also - arrange by type - and check the root path.

Check for suspicious browser plugins and addons, disable/remove them.

Reg Tweaks (sharing + prefetch disabled)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=etwks2.0.reg

Services Tweak

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=eServicesXP.exe

use the Extreme and check only the basic stuff like firewall, audio, themes, print spooler, and wireless.

After all that .. download and install AVG Free - remove any existing Anti-virus first.

Do a full scan, then run the cleanups again and defrag again.

That should get you started.

Also need to use Add/Remove programs to get rid of some things, and ofcourse a manual registry cleanup is suggested if you have the knowledge. Some things cant be removed using the uninstallers so just delete their folder in Program Files for example then run the CCleaner registry cleanup and or manually go in the registry and deal with it.

Also check out Device Manager and Hidden Devices ... some hide in there as drivers.

After all that I also manually go through a system checking for malware and anything suspicious but the above normally will clean it up or identify it.

Not in any particular order ...

there is more ofcourse depending on the system.

Sean relax we just joking

Manually check your TCP IP settings and IE proxy settings for anything abnormal.

Check the Program Files path for any EXE/VBS/BAT etc files

Check the Windows path also - arrange by type - and check the root path.

Check for suspicious browser plugins and addons, disable/remove them.

Rory check this one out "combofix"

by http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

strongly suggested

Edited by Guest

Rory check this one out "combofix"

by http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

strongly suggested

Thanks, Im more hands on when it comes to malware removal though.

Only apps I trust are the ones I mentioned or created myself.

Been cleaning computers for years now for a living and never had one I could not clean.

Though I always suggest a fresh install over cleanup.

I will check it out though.

*BEFORE* you go hog-wild on all that stuff Rory listed... run the hardware diagnostics first, at least DLG and MEMTEST, and maybe PRIME95 as well to do a stress test. If your hardware is failing, then all the tweaking in the world won't help, and neither will reinstalling... so rule that out first.

BTW, it would probably take less time (at least less time actually sitting in front of the thing) to just wipe and do a clean install of Windows, than the time it takes you to do all that tweaking and HJT and cleaners and screwing around. Sometimes a fresh start is best. (Actually, with Microsoft, a fresh start is almost always the best way to go).

AFTER you do the hardware diagnostics, of course.

Just sayin'.

*BEFORE* you go hog-wild on all that stuff Rory listed... run the hardware diagnostics first, at least DLG and MEMTEST, and maybe PRIME95 as well to do a stress test. If your hardware is failing, then all the tweaking in the world won't help, and neither will reinstalling... so rule that out first.

BTW, it would probably take less time (at least less time actually sitting in front of the thing) to just wipe and do a clean install of Windows, than the time it takes you to do all that tweaking and HJT and cleaners and screwing around. Sometimes a fresh start is best. (Actually, with Microsoft, a fresh start is almost always the best way to go).

AFTER you do the hardware diagnostics, of course.

Just sayin'.

Normally I DO suggest a fresh install especially if it hasnt been done in a long time ..

I charge the same for a fresh install as I do a cleanup and they get a fresh system.

In fact in the case of Netbooks I almost ALWAYS insist on it, and its an Nlited install for speed.

however ..

all that I listed may only take 30 minutes ... it depends on the system.

Running hardware scans on a slow system loaded down with dozens of running processes and services can take forever, especially if some of them are malware.

First rule out the basics, the software.

Thats alot cheaper than replacing the hardware in most cases.

I can take a quick look at the Windows/system folder and tell if an exe belongs there or not.

Normally if after 30 minutes it seems to be taking too long, then I insist on taking it away for a fresh install or further diagnostics - but on the spot at the clients location you gotta work fast and take care of the most common issues first, and cheapest resolve when it comes to home users.

Notice there are no real time extensive scans involved other than the AVG at the end.

And even that I dont always run anyway as its not always needed.

Yeah we can run this spyware scan and that adware scan, but I find those never remove everything and just take extra time. I can even run through the registry in a couple minutes and clean it up without CCleaner, I just use the registry part of CCleaner because, well its there right after I use its cleaner - I always do it both ways anyway, after all I live in the Windows Registry.

Heck most of the time I dont even defrag it until Im leaving and then I leave it defragging - after all time is money and the clients can always click OK when its done.

NOTE: I left out a very important part of what I ALWAYS do first ..

CTL-ALT-DEL

See what is running first.

Poorly coded malware can be obvious.

A fresh start is NOT always the way to go.

Whats involved in a fresh install could be too much for some, especially if they havent backed up their tons of data yet which may be scattered all over their computer - can spend hours just locating their data then backing it up ... or they have programs installed that they dont have the installation disk or setup file for, OR they want it installed the same way as it was and if not they call you over and over every night for free tech support for something that is completely new and different to them.

BTW Windows Install on a slow computer: 30 minutes to 1 Hour - Drivers Install: 10-40 Minutes and if you have to search them down then it could even take longer - Install Apps: minutes to hours depending on what they have, simple things like printer drivers and software alone can take 30 minutes to 1 hour easily these days with the HP all in ones and scanners - eg. HP scanner software and driver install took 30 minutes on a 6 core today. Rarely computers today even come with a recovery disk so unless they are willing to fork the cash out for a new Windows Disk .... yeah nobody ever knows enough to create a restore disk at the beginning.

One of the FIRST things one should do on a slow system they come across is run is that small Windows Cleanup program I posted - like it or not that little sucker actually works. Most malware will be in the temp folders, and then the windows / system folder, basically they put them in a common folder as thats what the malware programmers can access easily. Ofcourse if they took their time they would make it a driver, or throw it in memory, but these are mostly script kiddies, they use windows environment variables in most cases.

IF there is a serious hard drive issue that should come up in the system log.

Seen that more times than I can count.

One can run the WD test all day and night but it still wont always be right - many times Ive run it when the drive most certainly was bad and it came back OK - and besides thats only for WD drives - try HDTune instead: http://www.hdtune.com. But if you want something quick and simple to check the disk then try http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P13/Disk%20Speed - long as you know what a certain drive speed should be close to, this alone will give you a quick idea if its good or not - but like I said the most common thing I see when its a bad drive is a report in the system log - oh yeah failure to complete Windows check disk or defrag also almost always means its a bad hard drive. And sometimes NONE of the scans say its bad when it really is when there can be no other explanation.

Lets not also forget heat. A hot computer can cause all kinds of issues.

If one has this small program they can try this real quick also

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Bad memory?? Havent come across that in maybe a decade.

Besides bad memory is pretty obvious.

Basically ... when I come across a VERY slow computer first I check whats running and kill all non critical system processes, then i run Windows Cleanup and then my services tweak - and if a process wont die I write a quick vbscript with a loop to kill it - works great for AVs like nortons and even AVG. Normally that then makes it fast enough to do what else I need to do, 99% of the time it is software related when dealing with the average consumer PC. However EVERY situation can be different and it really depends on the circumstances as to what I do and how I do it. Anyway, for the record I do this ALOT more than I do CCTV, everyone has a computer these days, and I was doing this from '96 for other local compute stores. I realize I dont know everything though, and in fact I learn something new every time, and when the situation arises I use whatever scanners are needed to get the job done quick - though I find dealing with the average Home PC User more difficult than actually cleaning up the PC, especially when you got kids screaming at you about they cant get on facebook!

Just sayin ...

Some of the prior posts about getting more ram, defragmenting and not overfilling

your drive are very appropriate. I have found that not going beyond 90% is a

good rule of thumb unless you use one of the top rated defragmenmtors —in

which case you can get away with going up to 98%. I don't recommend it but

I'm the kind of person that likes to test the limits of things and I've done

it successfully.

Having said that, I have a little routine I do to keep my systems humming

along because no matter how much ram; how big your drive and so on, proper

and periodic maintenance helps tremendously:

When your laptop starts slowing noticeably:

1. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty by running CheckDisk:

a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select

"Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click

"Start".

b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or

longer. Be patient.)

2. Ensure your PC has as much memory (RAM) as possible.

a. Use the RAM Configurator linked to below to see what RAM your PC uses and

the max it will support.

b. Get the maximum amount of memory your computer can hold and install it

(the configurator has directions on how to install it).

RAM Config: http://www.crucial.com/?cpe=pd_msn_u...110707180520:s

3. Ensure the PC is protected

a. Ensure your OS updates are current —many OS updates are targeted at

neutralizing mal-ware so this is very important.

b. As an added protection update your existing Anti-Malware software or

install some if you currently have none.

c. Set your existing Anti-Virus program to run regularly and ensure it stays

updated.

d. Open, update and run the Anti-Spyware program.

e. If no Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware, acquire these (If you acquire a second

Anti-Virus program always remove any existing AV prior to installing the

replacement)

Here are some sources for Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus programs if needed:

MalWare Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

SuperAntiSpyware: http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSp...-10523889.html

AVG AntiVirus: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...-10320142.html

4. Remove Malware from your computer at this time by running the Anti-Virus

and Anti Spyware (this can take a while if it's never been done before so be

patient). Follow the recommendations of the programs to effectively deal

with any mal-ware found.

5. Ensure the Registry is clean by running a good registry cleaner.

a. Check to see if there is a registry cleaner already on the system;

b. if none, get CCleaner here: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

c. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors.

d. Run the "Cleaner" to analyze the disk and see what it finds to delete and

then delete the files that are not needed (most of the files it finds are

unneeded, but carefully look through the categories to be safe).

e. In CCleaner, under "Tools", go to "Start Up" and look over the programs

that start up on your PC. You may see a lot of programs that simply do not

need to start up when you first boot up your PC. Disable these and leave

only the essential ones (if not sure, note down the program name and then

try to open it up via Start-> All Programs. If not essential, disable them).

Unnecessary programs running are big "RAM Eaters" and many times are not

needed at start up -- if you do need to use them, consider starting them up

as needed.

6. Defragment the drive. Some OS's have built in defragmenters. You can use

these if you must but If you can spring a few dollars for the top rated

product consider doing so to save you a lot of grief:

take a look at what the best defragmentors offer and you'll begin to

understand why:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

In a nutshell, the best ones not only run automatically and prevent

fragmentation, but they are more thorough when completing the task. I've had

cheap/freebie defrags tell me my drive was fine only to have it crash on me

a few days or weeks later due to severe fragmentation not being caught. I

can't tell you how much time this has cost me over the years. My time vs

$39.00 for the best product out there? It's obvious which way 'm going to

go. The top rated defragmentor won because it was undetectable during defrag

while the PC was being used (with programs running in the background) and it

also prevents most fragmentation before it occurs. My time is money so this

make sense to me.

Running as much RAM as your system can bear plus keeping your drive as

defragmented as possible are the 2 simplest and least time consuming ways of

adding and maintaining speed.

Installing the RAM is a one time event. Getting a good defragmentor and

running it can also be a one time event if you get the right one. Check out

the review for all the details and get a free trial of whichever one appeals

to you so you can see what it does on your system.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Grateful acknowledgement to those who've helped me compile this "speed

formula" notably Bill R.

One other note, if systems have any viruses or spyware, you may, (most likely, will), want to turn off system restore, so that problem programs don't hide there and reinstall themselves from the restore directory.

I've found Hiren's boot CD to be a great resource, especially to dig out really nasty problems that are hard to get out when the system is running on the OS.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try to "throw more ram at it" to see if that helps. My computer has a 4gb capacity but only utilizes 2GB right now. Just ordered 4gb today. I use CCleaner and Malware Bytes on a regular basis and doesnt really seem to do jack squat. I'll probably look into getting a solid state drive here soon too.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try to "throw more ram at it" to see if that helps. My computer has a 4gb capacity but only utilizes 2GB right now. Just ordered 4gb today. I use CCleaner and Malware Bytes on a regular basis and doesnt really seem to do jack squat. I'll probably look into getting a solid state drive here soon too.

Thats why I posted that long post, shows what else to do

Still I say let me on teamviewer and I can deal with it for you if you like.

Will do it after I throw some more ram at it and if the problem still exists I'll give you a shout. I ran chkdsk last night and started up my computer and about had conniption. Alot of my files appeared gone. Restarted computer, all good now. Phew!

SSD? Nah... Loading a fresh copy of Windows will get her cookin again. I do that on my frequently used machines every now and then. Also, something simple you can look at is make sure your processor heat sink and fan are free of dust. If it's clogged it will create issues.

I wouldn't spend much cash on laptop parts... Just bought a HP 4530 with Intel i3 and 4gb ram.... $485 on amazon with free shipping. Pretty shnazzy little machine for the money. Computers are so cheap and antiquated so quickly these days they're pretty much disposable in my book.

I want to do that but loathe at the fact of re-installing not only my programs but all the drivers for everything. I fear that there is something that will get lost along the way.