Sign in to follow this  
HiddenMountain

FOCUS!

Can anyone help me figure out how to focus my outdoor cameras?

They are Samsung SCC-130B's.

We can get them close to perfect, but there's no way they would be any good to the police for identification purposes.

We're using a QVIS 8 channel DVR, if that helps any......

Hi Jon,

Can you post some screenshots of the pictures. Do you have you DVR locally networked yet? If so, I can give you quick instructs on how to get some screenshots. The cameras that you have are with 3.5-8mm lens which are mostly used for wide angle shots (depending on how far or close you have them zoomed in or out) Depending on how far away the object is away from the camera, facial features may not be recognizable from a certain distance. Of course the closer the person is to the camera, the more detail you will have. Alot of it depends on the focal length and how far away the object is away from the camera, for example, you wont be able to see clear facial features of a person 35' + away with the lens zoomed all the way out. If you are trying to view details in object that are far away, then you may need to get a stronger lens. Take a look at our lens comparison to get a general idea of what to expect with different lenses:

http://www.nellyssurplusguide.com/lenscomparison.html

Also, make sure that you have your DVR recording at D1 resolution.

Edited by Guest

Also, here is a video of a 3.5-8mm lens starting with it zoomed out all the way and then we zoom it in. You should expect similar results from you cameras (sorry for the long length of this video, i need to edit it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVMPLB8MxE

In contrast, here is a 7-70mm lens zooming in and out at different levels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCnznBiOOk&NR=1

As you can see, you get alot more detail from the 7-70 when its zoomed in. But there is trade-off of qualities when zooming in and out. The more you zoom in, the less width of view that you have.

Also, sorry for the lack of colors in these videos in pictures. It always seems to be cloudy as heck everytime I decide to do a video.

Can you post some screenshots of the pictures. Do you have you DVR locally networked yet?

Also, make sure that you have your DVR recording at D1 resolution.

Thanks for the info Sean.

I still haven't got the LAN working yet.... It's all a bit overwhelming and we have had such a busy summer that I just haven't had the time to really get into it.

I have to have total peace and quiet to concentrate on this stuff and it has been anything but that around here! Then there's work....

I have been playing around with the new PTZ you sent me, and thank you big time for that!, but as I said in my email, I think I am over my head with that too....

And, putting a new metal roof on the house kinda takes up some time....